+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar

Push email, outlook and exchange server quesitons

Two things I could really use some insight on...

What is the best way to "push" my outlook contacts, calendar and notes like I "push" my pop3 email? I'm looking for the best "activesync over the air" approach to eliminate the need to ever manually sync?

Any help would be great! Thanks!
    Last edited by brassMONKEY; 09-20-2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Lets save the GPS discussion for another day/thread...

WEll the best way that I have found to push my outlook, notes and contacts is with Wirelesssync. It is included in the rom and if you have the data plan it is free.

You need to set it up on Verizon's site but it will lead you there when you first initialize the software. It is great. I really enjoyed this with my xv6700 because everytime I would put a new rom on the phone, I would just install Wirelesssync and whaaaalaa...my contact, appointments, and other info was back on the phone.

I definitely recommend it

If you're willing to pay for it get a hosted exchange server.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I use TomTom on my i730 and it is great.
    Pros: one time fee for the sw.
    Cons: you have to carry the TomTom BT around with you.

VZNav.
    Pros: You don't have to carry the BT unit with you.
    Cons: You have to pay for each use.

You better check to see if TomTom works on WM6.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryncppr View Post
    WEll the best way that I have found to push my outlook, notes and contacts is with Wirelesssync. It is included in the rom and if you have the data plan it is free.

You need to set it up on Verizon's site but it will lead you there when you first initialize the software. It is great. I really enjoyed this with my xv6700 because everytime I would put a new rom on the phone, I would just install Wirelesssync and whaaaalaa...my contact, appointments, and other info was back on the phone.

I definitely recommend it
    So how do you get all of your contacts and appointments, etc.... from your PC onto the VZW site?
    Are you saying that it will keep my PC and Phone in sync?

Converged and Redeemed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    So how do you get all of your contacts and appointments, etc.... from your PC onto the VZW site?
    Are you saying that it will keep my PC and Phone in sync?
    You use Wireless sync's SyncMonitor, which is installed on your PC. And yes, it keeps everything from Outlook in sync with your phone, as well as on your VZW wireless sync account web page.
    Pastor Tim Satryan
    Communicating the Good News!
    Visit my website - WILMINGTON first assembly of God

IMHO,

Hosted Exchange Server:

Pros:
    Alway active service, so you never have to keep your computer on.

Backups of your Outlook Data File is on a remote reliable server.

Can reply back (Don't know if this is true for WVsync)

Web Based Outlook, you can access from any computer, anywhere.

Cons:

Cost for one year is 83 dollars for one email account that's 6.99 a month.
    if you want multiple emails then each account is 6.99/month.

You can't use any email address you have to use a new domain name or transfer an existing one to the hosted exchange companies servers and that involves changing DNS name etc on the client side. But if you have like @gmail.com or @yahoo.com you can forward those emails to your new exchange email address, but when you reply you will be sending it with your exchange address and not your @gmail.com or @yahoo.com address.

Moderate learning curve If setting up server links and tech jargon isn't your thing, then this is not for you or get a tech friend to help out.

I don't have any Pros and Cons for Wireless Sync except it is a free service and software but you get what you pay for in certain cases.

My short time with wireless-sync was bad. At one time it erased all my contact out of it's web based service and out of my local outlook data file.

This was about a year ago so updates and changes could have been made.
    But since that occurrence and me dealing with hosted exchange there will be no reason to back.
    "If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

If you want Hosted Exchange on the cheap, sign up for mail2web's free service. You will have a xxx@mail2web.com address, but its true Exchange push for free... fore a few more bucks you can use your own email address if its important to you.

Wirelessync is a free program from Verizon for data plan users. Here is the link to load the sign up for it.... It is relatively easy to set the software up.

https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/logon.asp

Also I don't know if everyone knows but with WM6 if you set up an email account on the phone you can change the settings to send/receive to different times. From every 15 minutes to never.

Sure you could get a hosted exchange, or do what I did, buy your own server, sign up to the Microsoft Action Pack ($300, and you get a copy of the Server software, and Exchange). Then set it up and run it all at your own house. I use a Pop2Exchange client to pull my mail to me, instead of delivering it to my house direct, and then push it to my phone, and does all of my syncing. I have full control of my server, and everything is on my network. I run a Dynamic DNS client so even if my IP address changes, it gets updated.

I am currently running Exchange 2007, and as a backup, it leaves a copy of the e-mails on my POP3 servers for 7 days, so I can get to it even if something happens at my house and my home ISP is down. I have my own SSL certificates, and signed by me, and I just load them in the phone before setting up my sync. Works like a dream and currently my Exchange server is pulling 14 e-mail accounts to one mailbox. Works great....

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    I always thought wireless sync was only for email!

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Sure you could get a hosted exchange, or do what I did, buy your own server, sign up to the Microsoft Action Pack ($300, and you get a copy of the Server software, and Exchange). Then set it up and run it all at your own house. I use a Pop2Exchange client to pull my mail to me, instead of delivering it to my house direct, and then push it to my phone, and does all of my syncing. I have full control of my server, and everything is on my network. I run a Dynamic DNS client so even if my IP address changes, it gets updated.

I am currently running Exchange 2007, and as a backup, it leaves a copy of the e-mails on my POP3 servers for 7 days, so I can get to it even if something happens at my house and my home ISP is down. I have my own SSL certificates, and signed by me, and I just load them in the phone before setting up my sync. Works like a dream and currently my Exchange server is pulling 14 e-mail accounts to one mailbox. Works great....
    How hard was that to set up? -I have a static IP so I wouldnt need to worry about IP address changes... how long did it take you to set up? how "advanced" do you need to be (I have not yet graduated to full-fledged techno geek!) Thanks!

If one chooses Wireless Sync is it possible to configure it such that it does not sync incoming mail from all mail accounts that Outlook is checking, but rather only syncs mail from certain mail accounts that Outlook is checking?

Thanks.

My setup is like this:

Home computer on 24/7 with outlook (setup for exchange and other accounts) that is vpn'd into work setup with wirelesssync desktop client.

e-mail comes in -> outlook exchange client -> wireless sync feeds it to verizon -> pushed to Q (soon to be i760)

Email, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks are all sync'd to verizon in this fashion (although there are 50mb limits on inbox, sent times, and one other i can't remember).

I also use Plaxo to sync contacts, calendar and tasks to all of my other computers that running in POP mode (my laptop, etc). So all changes eventually sync back to this online computer and then sync to my Q through wirelesssync.

This also works in reverse in that any changes i make on my Q get routed back through the wirelesssync to that online computer and then out through plaxo to all remaining computers.

I like wirelesssync, but i wish i had direct Exchange access (working on getting this into the upgrade cycle at work) but i don't want to take the time to setup my own servers and such, so i just went the lazy route and used wirelesssync.

The only cons with this are that you will need a computer on 24/7 sitting somewhere with outlook open for this work. If the computer locks up, outlook gets hung up asking for password, doesn't dial VPN properly, or internet goes out you will have no email to the i760. There is also the consideration of the limits of the online verizon storage and privacy concerns (copy of email is stored on verizon's servers).

But all in all, i haven't had many black outs and it has worked great.

The one thing i really like is that if i master reset my phone, all it takes is for me to make sure the latest client is installed on my phone and 3minutes later i have my contacts, calendar and email back.

Hope this helps.

-Redog

Quote Originally Posted by brassMONKEY View Post
    I always thought wireless sync was only for email!

How hard was that to set up? -I have a static IP so I wouldnt need to worry about IP address changes... how long did it take you to set up? how "advanced" do you need to be (I have not yet graduated to full-fledged techno geek!) Thanks!
    It's not just turning it on. You first have to install and setup Windows Server 2003 64x edition. Once setup you get your Active Directory domain setup and working and set yourself up as a user in the domain. Next make sure you have all the updates installed, and once fully updated and virus protected, install Exchange 2007 (which walks you through a bunch of steps to get the AD setup for Exchange). Then you finish the Exchange 2007 setup, and get it setup the way you want. So if you want your domain to be on their and e-mail delivered directly to you, you need to have the correct DNS entries setup, and everything coming to you (I didn't want to do this since I am not paying extra for a Static IP). I bought a POP2Exchange program that POP's my mail and puts it in the correct mailbox.

After all of that is setup, you next need to create an SSL certificate as well as a certificate authority (unless you want to buy an SSL cert from an authorized authority). Once this is done, there are a few registry entries that have to be changed to allow your CA to be installed, and to allow the cert to be installed. I know what they are on WM5, but we would have to check for WM6. Once those are installed, you then setup your phone to sync with your Exchange server...

Or instead of doing a lot of the first leg work, you could install Windows Small Business Server, which includes Exchange, but it doesn't include Exchange 2007, which to use some of the new features of WM6, you need Exchange 2007.

I will be happy to lend some assistance to you, but it's not like loading Windows XP or Vista on a PC, you have some work involved. I did it on a Saturday and a Sunday and was finished on Sunday night. I didn't spend every waking hour working on it, but it was a good 10-15 hour project, and this is for someone knowing what they were doing with the Server OS and Exchange 2003, Exchange 2007 was a new thing all together, and this is where a lot of my time was spent.

I bought a 64x processor server from Dell on special for less than $1000, and added a second processor and a total of 8 GB of RAM all for under $2000.

To run Exchange 2007, you must run a 64 bit OS and processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
    If one chooses Wireless Sync is it possible to configure it such that it does not sync incoming mail from all mail accounts that Outlook is checking, but rather only syncs mail from certain mail accounts that Outlook is checking?
    For my WM5 Q (soon to be i760) it syncs the Inbox folder and all of the sub folders. but will only show the new mail count for the inbox folder (this is for the smartphone homescreen, i cant' comment on pda homescreen but i'm assuming it's damn close).

I haven't tried it with multiple personal folders but i think the desktop sync client only sync the main personal folder's inbox.

Basically what ever ends up in the Inbox in your outlooks gets sync'd to verizon. You'd have to filter out what you don't want sync to another folder.

Hope this helps.

-Redog

VZW wireless sync does not work with vista or outlook 2007. I am running a free third party app called emoze. Works the same way as wireless sync, puts a monitor program on your pc and you must leave your pc running. It does a far better job of exchanging all data; mail, contacts, tasks et al without making copies and hosting on a web site like WS does. WS needs periodic cleanup or the VZW server gets full and needs attention. I found emoze.com in an article from Mossberg in the Wall Street Journal.

Thanks, Redog, it does.

I think I may be better off just having the i760 check certain mail accounts every 5 minutes or something, via POP3.

Thanks for the insight.

u should host mail accounts and make a pretty penny while ur at it!

do i hear, "mrailing hosted exchange services for mobile devices"
    You poke it, you own it.

Windows Live Mail

What about Windows Live Mail. Does WS or emoze.com work with it just like outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by johntchow View Post
    u should host mail accounts and make a pretty penny while ur at it!

do i hear, "mrailing hosted exchange services for mobile devices"
    Ha, I actually was asked when I first did it, but I am not hosting other's, as I don't want to get in to it. The reason I hosted my own, is I don't want my mail sitting on another person's servers. Plus I have the ability for testing, by my main reason for it was just to run my own exchange server, and have my own push setup. Really you can do it for around 1300, probably less depending on what you do. I originally started out with an old AMD 1900+ box I had laying around, and was just using Windows 2003 Server Standard and Exchange 2003. So this cost me only the $300 for the Microsoft Action Pack. I then decided with the upgrades to WM6 and Exchange 2007, that I needed to be on Exchange 2007 for the added benefit. Exchange 2007 requires a 64 bit processor, so I needed a new machine, so I did some bargin hunting and found the dell server I am using now.

So if you just want Exchange and not the added benefits of 2007, then you could just use an old box and load a server OS on it and Exchange 2003, and do 90% of everything.

If you want I can list some of the added features Exchange 2007 will bring, but won't unless you really care...