+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: i760 and Opera?

i760 and Opera?

I am looking to run the Opera Mini Beta browser on my 760, but when I direct my phone to www.operamini.com/beta and download the file, it says its a file the phone does not recognize or something like that.

Basically I just want a browser on my 760 like the iPhone, so I can view the WHOLE page and zoom into what ever I want.

Anyone who knows how to make this happen, please let me know.

THanks!!

I agree, the Opera browser is by far better than standard IE, though I am not one of the lucky ones who can attest to either on the i760 just yet.

I believe the problem is that the i760 requires Opera Mobile, not Opera Mini. Mini is for phones that wouldn't otherwise have web browsers, but Mobile is for Pocket PCs. I've used that on my i730, and it's not bad. I don't think you'll quite get the iPh*ne experience without Multitouch, but I digress.

The Opera Mobile site is: Products featuring the Opera Mobile Browser
    For the i760, you'll want the Top-Left link, for WM5/6. I believe the CAB file can be dowloaded directly to the phone (OTA) and installed from there.

Let us know how it goes!

Opera Mini works fine it just requires a JVM to be installed.

Works good for me also...on the I760

Did the phones not come with the Picsel browers as I thought those were going to use the "zoom" type browser?

Bummer that Deep Fish Beta is taking so long to turn into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrwulf View Post
    Opera Mini works fine it just requires a JVM to be installed.
    What is JVM and where do I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgold View Post
    Works good for me also...on the I760
    The mini works for you? Where did you download it from and how did you install it?

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post

The mini works for you? Where did you download it from and how did you install it?
    Opera is up and running great on my i760... JVM = Java mobile -I have it on my other computer. I will post when I get home if no one beats me to it.

All I want it to be able to view a WHOLE webpage and zoom into it, just like the iPhone and Opera Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    JVM stands for Java Virtual Machine. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jvm for more info.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I know what you all are saying about a poor browser, but there isn't anything like the Safari browser for their mobile devices (iPhone and iPod Touch). However, there are a few that are looking interesting.

Microsoft Deepfish (if you can find a copy, it was in beta last time I checked)
    Picsel Browser (it's already on the device and can browse the web)
    Netfront Browser
    Opera Mobile (Mini)

I have also heard news that Firefox might be working on a scaled version for release sometime next year. Web Browsers for the WM OS just suck, but those above are a good place to start.

Now as far as JVM support for the Windows Mobile OS:

Java Support on Pocket PC

Try that, it lists each version available...

Still confused

OK, I had Opera Mobile and it was working, but it didn't work as well as Operamini looked like it works. I took it off and downloaded operamini.jar and .jad to my desktop computer. Those don't open at all and when I downloaded straight to my phone it would tell me to open the files in the application. So what exactly are the steps to get the new operamini beta 2 version working? Thanks for your help. Also, as a warning, I tried the minimo browser. He really slowed down my phone. It took 20 seconds to flip the screen from landscape to portrait, fyi.
    Thanks again.

Deepfish is still on limited beta release. It is the one that so far looks the most like safari

Thunderhawk is still out there and works for me....but it turns the screen the wrong way. Reliable, and I like the way it looks. But the price tag (monthly/yearly subscription) is too pricey for most, and I'll probably dump it as well. Also take a look at JB5. I liked it on the smartphone, and will download it for the PPC soon as well.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerFan View Post
    OK, I had Opera Mobile and it was working, but it didn't work as well as Operamini looked like it works. I took it off and downloaded operamini.jar and .jad to my desktop computer. Those don't open at all and when I downloaded straight to my phone it would tell me to open the files in the application. So what exactly are the steps to get the new operamini beta 2 version working? Thanks for your help. Also, as a warning, I tried the minimo browser. He really slowed down my phone. It took 20 seconds to flip the screen from landscape to portrait, fyi.
    Thanks again.
    You need to install JVM for PocketPC first. Then you can run Opera Mini (jar/jad). Think of the jar/jad files as plugins into JVM.
    i760 VZW

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    I know what you all are saying about a poor browser, but there isn't anything like the Safari browser for their mobile devices (iPhone and iPod Touch). However, there are a few that are looking interesting.

Netfront Browser
    Opera Mobile (Mini)

I have also heard news that Firefox might be working on a scaled version for release sometime next year. Web Browsers for the WM OS just suck, but those above are a good place to start.

I was looking at that site, which one will work with the 760? it says "supported os" I don't see WM5 or WM6...

Which one is the best one...I really don't want to buy one, so are the free ones anygood?

I played with piscel earlier and I don't likeit at all. I downloaded opera yesterday nd thatsgone too...I want that anm opera mini beta 2!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post

Netfront Browser
    Opera Mobile (Mini)

The Firefox one for Pocket PC is available for download here:

Minimo project page

Haven't heard great things about it, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't say from experience how it is.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7 View Post

Minimo project page

Haven't heard great things about it, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't say from experience how it is.
    I was very unhappy with it, which is why I left it off the list.

Searching for John Galt lynnpreston's Avatar
    Can someone post exactly how they got Opera mini running (what JVM you used and where you got it from, etc)? Thanks.
    Regards,
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lynnpreston View Post
    Can someone post exactly how they got Opera mini running (what JVM you used and where you got it from, etc)? Thanks.

Here is a list of JVM

Java Support on PPC

I dont know which one to use, but i think once you install that onto your phone, you can download the .jar from www.operamini.com/beta and it will work on the phone, i may be wrong tho.

Can someone who installed a JVM please let us know which one is good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7 View Post

Minimo project page

tange1 was involved with this project at some point, not sure if he is anymore. But he can offer the latest details on it.

It always ran slow on my i730, but I haven't tried it again in about a year.
    i760 VZW