+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why buy a 760? (not a flame thread, please don't make it one)

I too like so many others have an old 730, desire for a new phone and a new every 2 burning a hole in my pocket not to mention a bleeding edge monkey on my back.I really like Samsung as a company and from the i700 on... not to mention many other CE items... I like their products/quality.

With less memory, lower MP camera and NO FREAKING rev. A

Why should we buy a 760 compared to 6800?

Again... this is not a stirring of the pot thread... just a "let's state the facts" thread. For those of you that have bought it, or are going to OR do not want to buy a 6800.... why?

I want to stick with Verizon. I think they are the best... and I have tried the rest so it really comes down to these two since I am not going to buy anything but a Windows Mobile 6.0 Where is the catch? as much as I wish, and have trouble believeing... the 760 is a dead deal compared to the 6800. I am not trying to rehash this or say you are wrong for buying it... I would really like to hear my geeky peers opinions on their 760 choice.

Thanks in advance!
    Rod

Rod, I am looking forward to the following

- Samsung Build Quality - All of my Samsung devices have held up to a ton of abuse, where other phones did not. This includes my i600 and i730.

- Front keypad - I am still rather old fashioned in that I remember numbers easily and usually dial numbers instead of looking up names. I am looking forward to the front number and the quicker finding the numbers I want, or a specific area code

- Poor quality of the 6600 & 6700 - Out of all of the devices I support daily, we had the most problems with these two. The quality just sucked.

- Not worried about Rev A - I don't see a need for it. Although I do e-mail, I don't send a lot of files and EVDO covers me just fine. I would say a better device will be out later and when it comes out, I might make a move. Also the 6800 won't have Rev A out the door, and we know how long Verizon takes to release updates.

- WM6 - I want some of the newest benefits of WM6. The better Voice Command with announcement over bluetooth (especially on the motorcycle), The increase in stability (should be...), the HTML e-mail, etc.

I have also played with a Sprint 6800, and it just feels as bulky as the i730. The i760 just feels better in the hands. I wasn't impressed with the 6800, it just looked and felt like the other HTC handhelds on the market.

I am also not worried about the memory. I haven't used up the memory on the i730, and if I needed something else, I have my SD card. The camera, well that's just a bonus. I like the idea of having a camera on the phone, but the difference between a 1.3 MP and 2 MP camera is so slim, it's not worth comparing in my eyes. I would rather bring out my 10MP camera and go shoot...

Redskins fan
    So to add another wrinkle, is it worth it to wait for the Treo 800w?

Well, find the i760 vs the vx6800 thread for my review of the VZW VX6800, but the few things I've noticed with the 6800, that I know will be improved on the i760 are:

(1) Front keypad... Coming from a 700wx, I can be making a phone call in about 3 seconds all one handed. Can't do that quick on the VZW 6800.

(2) No voice command on the 6800.. The only thing I have found is voice tagging.. so it seems I have to go into every contact and record my voice for every number. Seems pretty weak to me.

(3) VZW 6800 build seems ok. Compared it to my buddy's 6700 and it seemed a bit sturdier. He mentioned something about that right after he handled both.

RevA.. I just don't know how important that will be. I have a seperate RevA data card, so I don't give a flip about tethering. But I can see an advantage to having RevA if you do tether and it allows you to talk on the phone at the same time you are browsing. That would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Rod, I am looking forward to the following

- Samsung Build Quality - All of my Samsung devices have held up to a ton of abuse, where other phones did not. This includes my i600 and i730.

- Front keypad - I am still rather old fashioned in that I remember numbers easily and usually dial numbers instead of looking up names. I am looking forward to the front number and the quicker finding the numbers I want, or a specific area code

- Poor quality of the 6600 & 6700 - Out of all of the devices I support daily, we had the most problems with these two. The quality just sucked.

- Not worried about Rev A - I don't see a need for it. Although I do e-mail, I don't send a lot of files and EVDO covers me just fine. I would say a better device will be out later and when it comes out, I might make a move. Also the 6800 won't have Rev A out the door, and we know how long Verizon takes to release updates.

- WM6 - I want some of the newest benefits of WM6. The better Voice Command with announcement over bluetooth (especially on the motorcycle), The increase in stability (should be...), the HTML e-mail, etc.

I have also played with a Sprint 6800, and it just feels as bulky as the i730. The i760 just feels better in the hands. I wasn't impressed with the 6800, it just looked and felt like the other HTC handhelds on the market.

I am also not worried about the memory. I haven't used up the memory on the i730, and if I needed something else, I have my SD card. The camera, well that's just a bonus. I like the idea of having a camera on the phone, but the difference between a 1.3 MP and 2 MP camera is so slim, it's not worth comparing in my eyes. I would rather bring out my 10MP camera and go shoot...
    Michael... great reply and very good points too, thank you.

I too am a fan of Samsung build quality... I don't even flinch if I drop the 730 these days... been done enough times that I know it is not a problem... sans the screen hitting an object. Memory is not a big concern for me either... other than the occasional nag in the back of my mind of what might it be doing to the speed.

My Son is an IT admin and has a 6700... he did get it replaced because of a bad joystick button but other than that he has been very happy with it. Personally I am not too worried about problems... I spend a LOT of cash with Verizon, I'd be surprised in or out of warranty if they didn't take care of me.

I agree with you on the camera to the point that the reason I never used it on the 700 was because of the quality of picture... if that were to improve... say through more MP + whatever... I know I would use it for trivial snap shots and right at the moment stuff. So far the reviews that I have read don't have much good to say about the 760... can't say I have read much on the 6800 yet... I guess I was hoping my choice was already made.

I feel the same way about EVDO rev A as I do the camera... I don't use it much except for the constant push of my exchange server but then again....

Maybe if the connection were faster, the screen were better (especially with the auto-switching landscape mode) I would end up using it for browsing more? Of course... only time would tell on that point.

As far as rev A. and WM 6... they are only a matter of time and I am not the change units as often as I wish type... I have to make it last to be financially responsible (my own problem... grrrr) so it seems that the 6800 holds an edge here for sure. Being a Realtor, one of my favorite jokes is "you what I have never heard a woman say?" "nope... that closet is just too big" Being also a geek... I have never heard ANYONE say... "nope... that connection is just too fast"

I am definitely with you on the front keypad... until they use a touchscreen that is finger friendly WITHOUT losing other qualities... the keypad is a must. Just the same... if the screen were more finger friendly, I wouldn't mind have a bigger screen.

Choices choices.......

Quote Originally Posted by greenbep View Post
    So to add another wrinkle, is it worth it to wait for the Treo 800w?

Personally I dislike the smaller keyboards and am truly waiting for the landscape slide-out keyboard only. The keys are too close and too small otherwise and in the case of the Treo's I feel the screen is too small.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    ....RevA.. I just don't know how important that will be. I have a separate RevA data card, so I don't give a flip about tethering. But I can see an advantage to having RevA if you do tether and it allows you to talk on the phone at the same time you are browsing. That would be sweet.

I have a data card for the Laptop too... but wouldn't getting rid of the extra charge every month be wonderful? If rev A will allow both data and voice... and we add a new cable that charges over USB... that data card would be gone in a hurry and the extra $$ bill each month.

That too would be sweet
    Rod

Redskins fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloslave View Post
    ...in the case of the Treo's I feel the screen is too small.
    Fair point. I am also a fan of the large screen. However, I wonder if the increased resolution on the 800w (my understanding is that it's 320x320) will make up for the reduced size.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbep View Post
    Fair point. I am also a fan of the large screen. However, I wonder if the increased resolution on the 800w (my understanding is that it's 320x320) will make up for the reduced size.
    I'm not sure but I think there is already a Treo vs i760 thread. That would be a better place to get this type of info.

Yep I just checked there is a Treo vs i760 thread so you're in luck.

Redskins fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    I'm not sure but I think there is already a Treo vs i760 thread. That would be a better place to get this type of info.

Yep I just checked there is a Treo vs i760 thread so you're in luck.
    Actually, there is an XV6800 vs. i760 thread, but I haven't seen a Treo 800w vs. i760 thread. Can you please point me to that link?

My two biggest reasons for wanting the i760 (other than just wanting a new pdaphone) are: (a) the keypad on the front for quick dialing of numbers and (b) WM6 for, among other things, HTML e-mail. I'm also looking forward to the built-in Voice Command. Of course, Samsung's build quality helps a large deal too.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    My two biggest reasons for wanting the i760 (other than just wanting a new pdaphone) are: (a) the keypad on the front for quick dialing of numbers and (b) WM6 for, among other things, HTML e-mail. I'm also looking forward to the built-in Voice Command. Of course, Samsung's build quality helps a large deal too.
    I'm with you Jay at this point (I think). I say I think, because there seems to be a lot of negativity about the device, but it seems to be coming mostly from Treo users, so I am not sure if that precludes me from buying it. I asked for one out of the demo pool when they are available and may go that route at first.

I am not too happy with HTC's build quality even on my replacement Treo 700wx the finish is coming off, the back cover seems loose, etc, etc. The i730 i had previously was much sturdier than the treo or the sprint 6800 my friend has now.

I think the negativity is coming from the hype. We need to get some people that can look at the i760 objectively, namely me... to give it a good once over. As with any device, there will be issues, some can be overcome with simple tweaks (or major tweaks), others are fundamental flaws in the device. So far the majority of the complaints I have read are either tweaks, or just the user not knowing how to use the device, or the Windows Mobile OS.

Really, reviews for any device suck. They normally don't have use of the device long enough to really give it a good test, or the expectations are so high, that the device never lives up to it, or the comfort they found in their previous device. All of the reviews for the i730 mentioned "serious flaws" which were because of a lack of knowledge of the OS, or needing a small piece of software (phoneAlarm), or a simple little hack.

Nothing against people that have written them, but don't trust everything you read in the reviews....

I have had my 730 for a long time and have been wanting the a new phone. I love the sammy quality, I have to stick with verizon and so i decided on the 760 but my only hesitation is i don't see that much improvement over 730. I don't see enough advancements to spend 500 bucks. I want to level up. the 760 seems like new packaging with a WM update. camera isn't very impressive, i have lived w/o it for so long i wouldn't know what to do with it. Although, i do love the new stand alone key pad.

i don't know what kind of advancements i am looking for... i really just want someone to talk me into wanting the 760.

Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    I have had my 730 for a long time and have been wanting the a new phone. I love the sammy quality, I have to stick with verizon and so i decided on the 760 but my only hesitation is i don't see that much improvement over 730. I don't see enough advancements to spend 500 bucks. I want to level up. the 760 seems like new packaging with a WM update. camera isn't very impressive, i have lived w/o it for so long i wouldn't know what to do with it. Although, i do love the new stand alone key pad.

i don't know what kind of advancements i am looking for... i really just want someone to talk me into wanting the 760.
    This is the same comment many are making. My biggest thing is, I WANT a new device. I have had the i730 for over two years, and I am READY for something new. Whether it's an upgrade, or a new model of the same thing. My i730 is just worn out at this point, and I need something new.

The benefits don't always justify the cost, but for me, I see this device being a new toy that also benefits me with work. You have to want it for yourself, and if what you have is working for you, stick with it. There are some limitations in the i730 that I want fixed, and I believe it will be on the i760...

Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    I have had my 730...

I feel the same way.. so I'm in a holding pattern until I see and feel it. There is no one thing in the i760 that compels me to get a new phone. But perhaps the sum-total of the new features will make a difference. For now my i730 suits me fine.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I'll get it if battery life is longer than the i730

If the i760 has the same capabilities as the i730, is a little more stable and, most importantly, has longer battery life, I'll get it.

So far, the only comment I have seen posted on battery life is that the extended battery didn't last the day (of course considering new toy useage patterns); but I was dissappointed to hear that. I am eager to hear of others experience with i760 battery life.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    So far, the only comment I have seen posted on battery life is that the extended battery didn't last the day...
    Actually, I'm pretty certain that most of the remarks about battery life have been positive; one recent remark (the one you cited) seems to have been in the minority.

Of course, I've been wrong before!

That's GREAT! My i730 with extended battery may go for 3-4 hours on a work day without a charge. I'd love to be able to go an entire day without continually checking the available battery or seeing the "to prevent data loss..." message.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Next Gen 100%
    Don't they both have the same amount of RAM?

I want the i760 just for WM6 and functionality it brings with Exchange Server 2007