+ Reply to Thread

Question SCH-i760 & MS One-Note

Like many of us, I am anxiously awaiting the SCH-i760 release. I have already taken several (premature) steps toward moving from a Treo 600p to the new phone.

[For example, I already bought a new 4 Gb microSD card, which certainly looks cute. I sure hope it will work.]

My major change will be in my random information program which synchs notes with my computer. Since I am moving from Palm OS, my previous program (InfoSelect) will not serve the purpose.

I have already moved my notes to the MS OneNote program which comes with Office. It should serve on the desktop (although not as quick as "Infoselect"). There is also a OneNote for Windows Mobile, which should allow me to take notes at meetings and synch with the desktop.

My question to all the lucky individuals who got their hands on the SCH-i760:

Has anyone tried One Note on the new PDA phone? If so, how well does it work??

Yeah I actually just put OneNote on my i760 and it works fine. No problems here as long as you have OneNote in Office 2007 as the phone does not come with the software preinstalled.

where are you guys getting onenote?

One-Note comes with Office 2007

I am glad to know that it works okay on the SCH-i760

are you guys referring to the jimm98y .cab file?

No I am referring to OneNote that is bundled in with Microsoft Office 2007. You can probably get the hacked version but we are talking about the legit version that is the software.

ok then i'm confused again lol. i searched google for a place to purchase office mobile and i don't see anything. is it bundled with regular office 2007 for windows??? because i do have a copy of that...

Yes, it's bundled with the desktop computer office 2007.
    It has numerous interesting features, such as recognizing (and searching) text in a photograph.

From within the OneNote program there is an option to install the WM program onto your device. Thanks to ryncppr, we know that this works fine on the SCH-i760. This should allow us to sych to the desktop, which would give the option of photographing a business card of taking notes in meetings, for example. It also should be a useful way to carry around that random information which I need to frequently refer to, given my limited memory.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but can you tell me if you can SEARCH One-Note on the SCH-i760. I installed On-Note on a temporary Q9m, but no search capability is available.

Nothing is going to be like infoselect. That random collection of information database is extremely powerful, but unless you use some other software, I doubt anything, even something like OneNote is going to satisfy you. It's been at least a few years since I used OneNote, but I did make the full move to Outlook, and all of my contacts are stored, and I store information in each contact, and information I need for those contacts, I store on their notes field.

If I need to jot a note down, I simply use Notepad. I haven't played with OneNote yet, but once I get my i760 (once released), it is something I want to toy around with, but Infoselect is a program really without equal, and I still know MANY, MANY people who use it. I have even turned many people over to it that need quick access to information, especially on random notes. Good Luck on the search.

Thanks for your answer (and sorry for the double post). It's just that I realized that carrying searchable information (which syncs with my desktop) is my most important use of a converged phone.

On the palm, there is a global search button. Is there nothing like this on WM6 Professional?

Quote Originally Posted by avoider03 View Post
    Thanks for your answer (and sorry for the double post). It's just that I realized that carrying searchable information (which syncs with my desktop) is my most important use of a converged phone.

On the palm, there is a global search button. Is there nothing like this on WM6 Professional?
    Don't know, haven't had a need for it, and I also don't have WM6 "yet".

What about an application called 'PhatNotes 5'? Does it work on the SCHi760?

How is the search?

Thanks

One thing to keep in mind....

I love OneNote and use it extensively on my tablet, which I sync to my 6700...All my notebooks are stored on a MOSS library, so whether I'm using my tablet, my home computer, or my laptop, I have access to all my notebooks....

The one limitation of OneNote mobile is that it's not a full sync...It won't sync all your notebooks, however you have to have a dedicated Mobile notebook, and it only syncs that particular notebook....You have to be conscious and deliberate about what info you're going to need on your mobile device...Also, you can't keep that Mobile notebook on a shared location, like MOSS....so my Mobile notebook is only available where I physically sync...
    Last edited by TDG01; 10-10-2007 at 01:26 PM.

I also use onenote on my tablet quite a bit so I finally upgraded to '07 so I could get mobile. For some reason I can't get it to sync from tablet to my Q however. Any thoughts? The Option to sync a particular notebook is greyed out. I'll just keep trying to figure it out, I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid.

Liz

Different Sync

Quote Originally Posted by liznpups View Post
    I also use onenote on my tablet quite a bit so I finally upgraded to '07 so I could get mobile. For some reason I can't get it to sync from tablet to my Q however. Any thoughts? The Option to sync a particular notebook is greyed out. I'll just keep trying to figure it out, I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid.

Liz
    You're not missing anything...It's just not clearly explained in the app....The greyed out option to "Sync this Notebook Now" is not to sync to OneNote Mobile....it's to sync your notebook if you have it stored on a shared library, like MOSS or a network file share...

Your standard notebooks will not sync with OneNote mobile....It creates a seperate notebook called OneNote Mobile, usually at the bottom of the list, and that's the notebook, the only notebook, that syncs with your OneNote Mobile... So you have to know what info you want on your phone and store/manage it in that notebook... It's a crappy limitation, but it's understandable...considering how large OneNote notebooks can get...

Quote Originally Posted by TDG01 View Post
    You're not missing anything...It's just not clearly explained in the app....The greyed out option to "Sync this Notebook Now" is not to sync to OneNote Mobile....it's to sync your notebook if you have it stored on a shared library, like MOSS or a network file share...

Your standard notebooks will not sync with OneNote mobile....It creates a seperate notebook called OneNote Mobile, usually at the bottom of the list, and that's the notebook, the only notebook, that syncs with your OneNote Mobile... So you have to know what info you want on your phone and store/manage it in that notebook... It's a crappy limitation, but it's understandable...considering how large OneNote notebooks can get...
    Thank you so much! That explains it and I am using it now. I was wondering how my device was going to hold all that info! I really appreciate you taking the time!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by liznpups View Post
    Thank you so much! That explains it and I am using it now. I was wondering how my device was going to hold all that info! I really appreciate you taking the time!

Liz
    Liz - np...glad to help..

Is there a secret to using the voice recorder in OneNote?

I can't seem to figure it out.