+ Reply to Thread

Why is everyone downgrading the PDA's processors

I have had the I730 for 2 years, I loved it, it had a 520 MHZ processor and it was a breeze, after 2 years, i had some problems with it and claimed it on my insurance. They sent me an "upgraded" phone since they no longer made the i730. So i got the vx6700 instead. I thought there would be a few pros and cons to it, but I didn't expect a 400mgz to have this much of a difference in speed. things run soo much slower when I do a side by side test. terminal services, is almost unusable. Now I have to carry both the new and old phone with me to places. the wait for terminal services can get unbearable on the 'new" phone. I can't wait to get rid of it.
    I got excited when I heard about the new vx6800 and the i760. My question is. everyone is going to the older 400mgz speed. why... it makes things so much longer to load. shuldnt we be getting faster speeds. i mean 2.5 years ago we came out with 520. now.. 2.5 years later instead of looking at 600-700mgz. we are going back to 400.

Mostly for battery life. You can however scale the processing speed with various programs. On the x51v you could run it in "Auto" mode which for the most part gave me about 4 hours of battery life. It would switch depending on what the demand for processing speed at that given time.

soo..

So before I switch over to the i760, can it really be that much better than the i730? I mean you are giving up a lot of processing power. Is the battery improvement really that much more?
    Or am I just being a little too hesitant because the vx6700 is really that bad?

They are different types of processors. The 400mhz in the i760 is actually a bit faster than the 520mhz in the i730. That said, there are faster procs out there, but it isn't a step backward.

Do a search - I posted some information on this a while back.

The best way to explain this is to compare the PDA processors with CPU's...

For example you can buy a Pentium IV at 3.00ghz but it is not as fast as a Dual Core Processor at 2.00 ghz. It has to do with how the processor is made and the such factors as wiring and setup.

Just some information for ya

Comfortably Converged
    just take a look at the benchmark thread