+ Reply to Thread

i760 EVDO Rev A Upgradeable?

I have read many reports stating that the i760 is Rev A upgradeable. I have also seen several reports stating that it is not. My question is does anyone yet know for sure? Has Samsung or Verizon stated this publicly yet?

Secondly, has either Verizon or Sprint let out any ideas as to when the upgradeable phones would receive that update?

Thanks for any info you may have.

1. The i760 is not Rev A upgradable.
    2. No they haven't.

It is in the FAQ. This device isn't REV A. The chip seen in the FCC photos is only the REV 0 chip. So there is ZERO chance of us getting Rev A on the the i760 without a complete hardware change, and they won't be doing this.

As far as them activating Rev A devices. Both Sprint and Verizon have turned on their Rev A networks, and they work with Air Cards, and devices are starting to come out. Rev A at this point basically doubles the upload speed, and does just a very slight increase to download speed, and unless you are sending large e-mails, files, or remote connecting to devices, then it won't matter much for Rev A. If you simple receive e-mails, send a few, and browse the web, you won't notice much of a difference in Rev A over Rev 0.

I know i am but what are you?
    there needs to be a script that sees the question, that contains Rev A and I760 in the same post and just says NO NO NO,..

I think it would save time.

Rev A will make a big difference to me when I get it on the Mogul, since I take many videos of property problems and email them

I know i am but what are you?
    but the Question was, will the I760 be Rev A upgradeable, not the MOnGUL.

Thank you for the answers. My need for Rev A is valid, as I have to remote access to boxes while working (RDP/VNC). So the upload would help alot. But I am seriously considering switching to AT&T simply for the ~350kbps upload on the HSDPA connections. I also like the fact that HSDPA will allow Voice/Data at the same time. I know I could get a data card, however I do need email/IM on my phone. I am not interested in spending $100/month on data. I am sure many people are in the same boat.

So if you were me, would you switch to a 3G/HSDPA on AT&T or wait out and see of Big Red will upgrade a pda to rev A?

Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it.
    SC

The Kid
    Unfortunately AT&T's 3g network should be called the -3G network. It is SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. I was standing out side of an AT&T store in NYC using a new Apple I-Phone, and it took almost 3-4 minutes for the MOBILE version of google to pull up. If you are going to switch to anything go to Sprint, they are using Verizon's EVDO network and they are only charging 20.00 a month or something like that.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by navarroj View Post
    Unfortunately AT&T's 3g network should be called the -3G network. It is SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. I was standing out side of an AT&T store in NYC using a new Apple I-Phone, and it took almost 3-4 minutes for the MOBILE version of google to pull up. If you are going to switch to anything go to Sprint, they are using Verizon's EVDO network and they are only charging 20.00 a month or something like that.

JC
    The IPhone is just on AT&T Edge... which is like plain old 1X data. There is no "broadband" chip in the IPhone.

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    Or a clearer way of saying it, the iPhone is NOT 3G.

depends on your coverage....

Quote Originally Posted by eras2r View Post
    ...So if you were me, would you switch to a 3G/HSDPA on AT&T or wait out and see of Big Red will upgrade a pda to rev A?...
    If I were you and I lived/worked in a market that had strong AT&T 3G coverage, I would go with the new Tilt, hands down...no questions asked...Not only is the device superior, but there are also advantages to having the dual channel capability that HSDPA affords...CDMA is not capable of that...

Unfortunately, there are many of us who don't have that option as AT&T HSDPA coverage is poor and we live by Verizon's EVDO coverage, which is great...at least where I live/work....Sprint, not so much....

So to me, availability of HSDPA is the deciding factor...

Health Sciences Consulting perlmane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TDG01 View Post
    If I were you and I lived/worked in a market that had strong AT&T 3G coverage, I would go with the new Tilt, hands down...no questions asked...Not only is the device superior, but there are also advantages to having the dual channel capability that HSDPA affords...CDMA is not capable of that...

Unfortunately, there are many of us who don't have that option as AT&T HSDPA coverage is poor and we live by Verizon's EVDO coverage, which is great...at least where I live/work....Sprint, not so much....

So to me, availability of HSDPA is the deciding factor...
    As you can see from my signature, I have both. I can tell you that when you get 3G on AT&T, it blows the i760 away. The problem is, most of the time the VZW EVDO is much faster than AT&T 3G because of it availability. The bad news is, you cannot talk and websurf at the same time with EVDO.
    Samsung Omnia- WM6.1 - VZW
    HTC TyTN II - WM6.1 - on the new at&t - and loving it!
    "Fact veracity is not based on the validity of the source, but on the last thing posted."

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    I have a RevA PC Card, and this statement

Rev A at this point basically doubles the upload speed, and does just a very slight increase to download speed,
    doesn't match my experience. I originally had a Rev0 card, and was just using National Access. When they rolled out EVDO RevA here in my area last month, my download speed went to 350k from 100k on the Rev0 card. I got a RevA card, and my download speeds are around 850k normally. So I got a huge boost in download speed. Just my experience.

-Michele