+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I know i am but what are you?

I760 Expected Battery Life

I did search to see if there was a thread on expected battery life.. nope.

Today was my first full day using the phone.
    with the extended battery installed, removed from the charger at 7:30am.

Put back on the charger at 6:30pm with 25% life left.

Made several calls totaling about 55minutes

I have PUSH setup and received at least 40 emails there,
    I have 1 POP account setup to check every hour or on SEND.
    Instant Messaged for about 30 minutes
    Used the MS Remote Display COntrol software for about 30 mins.

my other SmartPHone i would be at 80% remaining after a day like this.
    Last edited by dangerous; 10-03-2007 at 09:17 PM.

First the life should improve as you condition the battery, not by a ton, but at least a little. I am looking forward to getting my hand on it and trying to tweak it a little. I have the i730 so I can almost go a full day 8 AM - 10 PM, with the occasional top off in the car. But I also talk almost 120-200 mins a day on most days.

What type of push are you using (Exchange?)? What other software do you have installed? How are you carrying it?

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    First the life should improve as you condition the battery, not by a ton, but at least a little. I am looking forward to getting my hand on it and trying to tweak it a little. I have the i730 so I can almost go a full day 8 AM - 10 PM, with the occasional top off in the car. But I also talk almost 120-200 mins a day on most days.

What type of push are you using (Exchange?)? What other software do you have installed? How are you carrying it?
    I'm using the Wireless Sync client (loaded on my PC), I have exchange, but am not connecting to that directly.

Software:

IM+ Demo 7 day (not as nice as Agile..)
    AgileMessenger (IM)
    Ewallet
    RemoteDestop Client (term services)
    Microsoft Remote Display Control (to control the Phone from your PC)
    PDANet

Edit

I carry it in my pocket. i don't have a case. so, i lock the screen, and put in a pocket that doesn't have keys in it.
    Last edited by dangerous; 10-03-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Tomorrow try keeping it out of the pocket. I wonder if the screen continually got turned on in your pocket. When Ethan had the i760 in his possession, he said it got better battery life than the i730 with the same setup.

Comfortably Converged
    Well compared to what I have been doing that does not sound far off. I can usually get to 25% around 10:30, but I am not using as heavy as you. Tonight it went faster (around 8:30) I think because I was in the mall for around 2 hours and that signal going in and out seems to be a drain.

I'm using the slim battery. unplugged at 9am today. had about 30 emails. browsed the web for about 15 minutes. talked for about an hour. Have backlight set to one notch above half.

currently 7:45pm and i am at 45%.

I can definitely get through the entire "daylight" day on the slim battery - totally awesome. With the i730, i would have to replace the battery around 4pm or 5pm and THAT battery was a lot thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Tomorrow try keeping it out of the pocket. I wonder if the screen continually got turned on in your pocket. When Ethan had the i760 in his possession, he said it got better battery life than the i730 with the same setup.
    the screen doesn't turn on when it's locked or goes to "Sleep" i have press the button on the top to wake it up.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    I did search to see if there was a thread on expected battery life.. nope.

Today was my first full day using the phone.
    with the extended battery installed, removed from the charger at 7:30am.

Put back on the charger at 6:30pm with 25% life left.

Made several calls totaling about 55minutes

I have PUSH setup and received at least 40 emails there,
    I have 1 POP account setup to check every hour or on SEND.
    Instant Messaged for about 30 minutes
    Used the MS Remote Display COntrol software for about 30 mins.

my other SmartPHone i would be at 80% remaining after a day like this.
    Try lowering your backlight settings a notch or two and see if that improves battery life. Also, are you in a good or poor service area ? Poor service areas typically will kill your battery faster (atleast on old devices).

I don't have the i760 yet to give a comparison on my daily usage.
    i760 VZW

I have much better battery life with the i760 I used it all day from 8:AM to 11:pm and I talked all day used the Internet a couple time a got a bunch of text's and have 55% this is using the extended batter. I will say the slim batter sucks but I use it on the weekends..compared to the i730 it is night and day...p.s. I ordered a 2nd extended batter because it works so good and much longer then the slim
    Last edited by Lostgold; 10-04-2007 at 01:30 AM.

I have two days of battery life with my i760 and hosted exchange account with the normal battery, and I can eek 3 out of the extended.

However, once I start using any IM client, Slingbox client, or the such, then it goes way down...

I'll say the same as cyberwulf. I connect to exchange every 10 min and check POP mail every 30. Talk only 30 min a day. Palringo monitors for new messages. Send/receive about 5 SMS/day. Check IE scores or brief website 3-4 times a day. If I do that, I'm at about 40%-60% at the end of the day. If I Sling or do power surfing (hour or more) it will hurt my battery severely and I'll have to charge or switch batteries before evening use. Using the extended battery helps some, but with power use I'll still have to squeak it out before charging overnight.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Here's my first report on battery life. I received my i760 at about 1:50 p.m. on 10/3/07 and installed the extended battery. I plugged it in around 2:30 p.m. or so and charged it until about 5:10-5:20 p.m. The LED was flashing green, indicating the battery was fully charged. I did not charge the i760 again until roughly 9:00 p.m. on 10/4/07. In between, I activated the phone (which took several attempts), performed a bunch of OTA syncs using ActiveSync (some of which took 10-15 minutes due to the number of contacts in my database), and talked on the phone for approximately 55 minutes. I also sent a few e-mails and probably received about 50. ActiveSync was set for "Push" e-mail. I started getting low battery warnings at about 5:30 last night but they were a bit infrequent. By 8:30 or so, the i760 was beeping like mad telling me it needed to be charged (probably beeping every 5 minutes or less).
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

i think mine is doing much better since i wasn't IM'ing You Iprob8. that stuff really kills the battery.

Also, i'm bummed that it doesn't charge while connected to a USB

Me too---hope the boys over at PPCTechs (or whoever they partner with to make their stuff) come up with a nice sync and charge cable....
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    Me too---hope the boys over at PPCTechs (or whoever they partner with to make their stuff) come up with a nice sync and charge cable....
    You just read my mind!. I love my PPCTechs retractable cable for my i730. It's awesome for travel. I keep it in my laptop bag so it's always handy.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    The i730 didn't come with a charging USB either. Wait I can bet that within two weeks of the device be available to B2B that there will be holsters, USB charging cables, docking cradles available.

I remember that the first USB charge cables wouldn't switch from fast charge to trickle and it took a few extra weeks before PPCT and Boxwave released their charging cables.

I pinged Boxwave a week ago and haven't gotten an answer, so I suppose it's about time to see if the guy I used to know still works there.
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    I remember that the first USB charge cables wouldn't switch from fast charge to trickle and it took a few extra weeks before PPCT and Boxwave released their charging cables.

I pinged Boxwave a week ago and haven't gotten an answer, so I suppose it's about time to see if the guy I used to know still works there.
    Please do, that would be great.

Terrible battery life

Long time lurker here as I have been waiting for the 760 since it surfaced at CES in January. I received it yesterday and have been very disappointed with very poor battery life. The normal battery will go down to 50% after just a 45 minute call, and if I use the web for another half hour it will just about run out of juice. Dit for the extended battery although it seems to last a tad longer.

Using the extended battery I placed 3 calls totaling one hour 5 minutes, and cruised the web maybe 15 minutes - and it was down to 25% within 5 hours.
    I did have push email enabled but that shouldn't have caused such a drain. Yes, I did a hard reset when I got it so that couldn't be the problem.

What amazes me even more is that others are crowing about the good battery life. In one of the stickys a reviewer states the following about the battery life which just amazes me considering the poor life I get. What are other peoples experiences with battery life.?

Here is the part of the sticky about battery life:

So far, amazing compared to my i730. I used the slim battery on Sunday, taking it off the cradle at 8 AM, using it for around 45 mins of talk time, in a building all day with only one bar of service, receiving/sending 20-40 emails, checking Google Maps for directions (twice, long story), sending about 20 txt messages, performing a hard reset (which in turn pulled all my data from my Exchange Server and reloading my couple of apps, and setting up the device), showing it off to 30+ people, and pulling it out every 20 mins to play with it or just turn it on to see if it was locked up or still working. Come 6 PM when I got back to Indy, I still had 60% battery life. I was shocked.

My i730 in the same time span would probably have around 30-40%. Next I swapped to the "extended", or should I call it, slightly larger than the slim battery. I jumped in the car to drive the 1.5 hours home and talked from the minute I left to my door at home, and then again for 30 mins inside my house. I still had 85% battery life after 2 hours on the phone, and driving through poor service area (where on the i730 I drop calls). I didn't charge the battery and made about 2 hours of additional calls last night, set it on my bed side table with 55% battery life, and went to bed. The phone synced through the night (haven't setup the sync schedule yet) and I got around 50 SPAM messages (since my PC wasn't on to filter the SPAM). So those kept coming in through the night, which I finally muted the phone. I got a call in the morning and talked for an hour, sent 5 emails from the "throne", and then went to my computer to charge, at which point I still had 30% life. My i730 wouldn't have made it through the 5 hours of talk time, let alone the syncing all night and the typing e-mails...

So battery life is better. And yes, I have new batteries on my i730 to compare to, purchased just three weeks before getting my i760.

Less bars = more power needed to reach tower = different battery life for different people.
    -s