+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Q2N and i760

Q2N and i760

So quick question for those that have it. Does the new i760 still support Quick 2 Net (Q2N)? I know, i know, its slow, but free. Thanks.
    i700/i730 geek since '03

Anyone know? Thanks.
    i700/i730 geek since '03

Quote Originally Posted by balefire View Post
    So quick question for those that have it. Does the new i760 still support Quick 2 Net (Q2N)? I know, i know, its slow, but free. Thanks.
    I don't see Q2N listed in the connections. I only seek "Broadband Access" with the old #777 listed as the number.

BTW, Q2N is not totally free; you're charged minutes for the time you use it.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Will it let you change the number it dials to #7772? Thanks!
    i700/i730 geek since '03

Quote Originally Posted by balefire View Post
    Will it let you change the number it dials to #7772? Thanks!
    You can manually enter a different number other than #777, but I don't know whether doing so will actually give you a data connection.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

bump. anyone know if q2n definitely works or not? thanks!
    i700/i730 geek since '03

I'm curious about this too... Anybody know if this works?

Found something that works for now . . .

Let me preface this by saying I am not sure I am not being charged excessively for this, but I found something that worked for me:

I called VZW after I got my new phone today and activated the phone through the automated system without a data plan (I did not receive a rebate either). Then I called a rep and asked her to give me mobile web and block national access (I believe this is how I used Q2N before).

From there I simply deleted the default connection and created a new dial-up connection with the number #777 and then used qnc/qnc for the username/password. I can confirm that I was unable to connect to #777 before I deleted it (I did this to confirm that national access was blocked). I do not know what bandwidth I am getting (presumably 14.4kbps) but I have my fingers crossed that I still will not need to pay for a spendy data plan that I will not use.

The rep did mention that I cannot "picture message" without national access, but I have sent picture messages (it seems to use the same line I just created).

Of course, it is possible that I am paying $100 a byte right now and do not know it but that is a problem for another day . . .

First Brent, make sure you remove CDMSCSP from the startup folder if you are changing the dialup connections on the device, since every soft reset will recreate the connection because of that program.

Second if you want Q2N, you will need to use #7772 and username/password of qnc/qnc. If you use #777, it will try to connect to the 1x/EVDO network, no matter which password you use, since that is parsed through the phone with the correct password elsewhere.

I attempted to create a connection and it failed saying I had the wrong password. I am getting ready for bed, but I will attempt it again later, but using the following information did not work:

name: QNC
    number: #7772
    login: qnc
    pass: qnc

It failed to connect...

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    First Brent, make sure you remove CDMSCSP from the startup folder if you are changing the dialup connections on the device, since every soft reset will recreate the connection because of that program.

Second if you want Q2N, you will need to use #7772 and username/password of qnc/qnc. If you use #777, it will try to connect to the 1x/EVDO network, no matter which password you use, since that is parsed through the phone with the correct password elsewhere.

I attempted to create a connection and it failed saying I had the wrong password. I am getting ready for bed, but I will attempt it again later, but using the following information did not work:

name: QNC
    number: #7772
    login: qnc
    pass: qnc

It failed to connect...
    I am dialing #777 but logging in as qnc/qnc with national access blocked. I cannot log in either using #7772. I did not modify anything in startup but did soft reset and the settings (as far as password at least) did not change so perhaps just changing the username/password for the default connection (again with national access blocked) might also work . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by BrentCPA View Post
    I am dialing #777 but logging in as qnc/qnc with national access blocked. I cannot log in either using #7772. I did not modify anything in startup but did soft reset and the settings (as far as password at least) did not change so perhaps just changing the username/password for the default connection (again with national access blocked) might also work . . ?
    Hopefully they blocked it and didn't just make you in the Pay as you Go plan...

You should call in to confirm before you use the net again. The username/password for the connection #777 is actually built in to the ROM in a file so it can't be modified if memory serves right, very similar to the dial parser and when it sees that connection it passes the correct username/password to it, this is why many people have problems with Verizon devices when using them overseas on other CDMA carriers.

I would say you aren't hitting Q2N network, but instead actually are still using 1x/EVDO... Since when I tried your way, I still had the 1x and EVDO symbols when it loaded the page.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but I think it's on topic. If Q2N won't work, are there other options to get a free/cheap internet connection? I don't mind if it's super slow because I just need to check my email once in a while.

I have no idea if this is even possible, but if you had a dial-up connection for your home computer internet, could you use that ISP to connect to the internet with the i760?

Quote Originally Posted by kim. View Post
    I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but I think it's on topic. If Q2N won't work, are there other options to get a free/cheap internet connection? I don't mind if it's super slow because I just need to check my email once in a while.

I have no idea if this is even possible, but if you had a dial-up connection for your home computer internet, could you use that ISP to connect to the internet with the i760?
    Most likely not, but that is why you got a phone with WiFi. You used to be able to dial-up to other ISP providers, but I am not sure if it will be possible (I would test, but I don't have an ISP I can call).

Thanks Michael! I was thinking it would be a nice option if I was in a spot without wifi. I think I'll give it a try one of these days just to see if it will work.

Professional Goober
    There's gotta be a way to dial up to Q2N through your phone just as you do with a laptop. If anyone figures out a way to do it, let me know =)

I'll call Verizon later about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rahb0sse View Post
    There's gotta be a way to dial up to Q2N through your phone just as you do with a laptop. If anyone figures out a way to do it, let me know =)

I'll call Verizon later about it.
    Please post back and let us know what you find out if you get any info from Verizon!

I spoke to a verizon rep a couple of days ago and was told that the broadband connection would automatically switch to dial-up in a non-evdo area. If she is right is anyone's guess.

Professional Goober
    Quote Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
    I spoke to a verizon rep a couple of days ago and was told that the broadband connection would automatically switch to dial-up in a non-evdo area. If she is right is anyone's guess.
    Even if she were right, if you are in a EVDO area, you'll use broadband... I tried the #7772 w/ qnc/qnc and it said invalid password. So I dunno what I got with that.

So anyone find any solutions?
    i700/i730 geek since '03

has anyone found out if q2n works?
    i want to get the i760 but do NOT want to pay for data plan.
    wifi isnt always available either.