+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First PDA Phone Purchase I730vsI760

I am a college student that is in need of a pda phone. I get $100 towards a new phone but so far do not like any they have in the stores. One main feature I want is Wifi access. I do not want to pay for a data plan...therefore would rely on our campus wide wifi to get my phone internet access. I was set on waiting for the I760 but now have thought about the I730. The few negatives I have heard about the I730 is that you can't use internet and the phone at the same time....and that it is a bigger phone. Either way I am waiting til the release date of the I760 because I hope it drops the price of the I730 on ebay drastically. So what I am curious about is if the features that will be in the I760 are really worth the extra $200-$300 for a college student. Also I am curious how the size compares. Thanks for your input

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    If you all ready have a PDA and cell phone then save your money.

If however, you are looking for a converged device then I would get the i730 off ebay (becareful) or VZW if one is left base on your limited budget.

If you can swing the extra cash get the i760.

If you hold off for a few more days there may be plenty of used ones you can get. I may even give you mine because you are a struggling student.
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 10-04-2007 at 01:22 PM.

If strapped for cash, look into the Mogul with Sprint SERO, $30/month. Not sure how much the phones costs, though.
    i760 VZW

I have an i730 but don't have the i760. I suspect a lot of others here are the same.

The i730 with the WM5 upgrade WILL run WiFi and phone at the same time. It will consume the batteries quickly of course. But that would be true of the i760 also. I don't know if the i760 lets you run them at the same time.

The i730 is a pretty good PDA, but not a real good phone. It appears that the i760 is a better phone.

The worse problem is that the i730 has some trouble connecting to some access points.

If you are a heavy phone user, you may want the i760 or get a seperate phone and a PDA, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jskill View Post
    I am a college student that is in need of a pda phone. I get $100 towards a new phone but so far do not like any they have in the stores. One main feature I want is Wifi access. I do not want to pay for a data plan...therefore would rely on our campus wide wifi to get my phone internet access. I was set on waiting for the I760 but now have thought about the I730. The few negatives I have heard about the I730 is that you can't use internet and the phone at the same time....and that it is a bigger phone. Either way I am waiting til the release date of the I760 because I hope it drops the price of the I730 on ebay drastically. So what I am curious about is if the features that will be in the I760 are really worth the extra $200-$300 for a college student. Also I am curious how the size compares. Thanks for your input
    With WM5, you can use WiFi and Phone at the same time on the i730.

I tell you what, if the i760 comes out, and you are still looking, PM me, and I might sell you my i730 super cheap, like the cost of my extra batteries, and even if the i730 breaks on you, you can pick up another i730 and still have the extra batteries and accessories for the i730. I like helping out students with stuff, cause it wasn't too long ago when I was in your shoes in college, although I did pimp myself out to the University as a Resident Assistant and got paid a lowly amount of 100/month, for over 80 hours a week of work (and yes they paid room/board).

So just hit me up once I get my hands on an i760, and I might be willing to sell it off cheap, provided it's still in working condition.

But if you want one now, then yes, grab an i730, if it doesn't have WM5, put it on, and use WiFi and phone at the same time, just expect the battery to drop very quickly when doing so.

Ok thanks for the advice... I am leaning alot more towards the I730 now that I know with the upgrade it can run wifi and phone......How is the phone size....is it able to fit in a pocket comfortably or is it more of a pda size rather than a phone.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm begging or looking for handouts but I'm in the same boat as Jskill. I too am a college student, (Biology-premed at UVM, go catamounts! haha)To be honest, I would like to have the 760 since it will be newer and "better" but really all I'm looking for is something I can stay organized with, be able to check the internet since all of my syllibi are posted online, and make phone calls with, which is why I think a smart phone is a perfect fit. It's funny because I, like jskill, have been checking ebay for the i730 but the prices seem to still be a bit high for a 2 year old device. Anyways, if anyone is willing to sell one, I'd be more than willing to get it off your hands. So Michael is jskill doesn't buy it, I'd be more than willing too.

Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post
    If strapped for cash, look into the Mogul with Sprint SERO, $30/month. Not sure how much the phones costs, though.
    I looked into this, the phone is 299 which i think is a good price, but sprint has terrible coverage in VT. Actually, I'm pretty much stuck with Verizon, because they and Unicel are the only people who have coverage here and well most of you probably haven't even heard of Unicel, so lets just keep it at that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    If you all ready have a PDA and cell phone then save your money.

If however, you are looking for a converged device then I would get the i730 off ebay (becareful) or VZW if one is left base on your limited budget.

If you can swing the extra cash get the i760.

If you hold off for a few more days there may be plenty of used ones you can get. I may even give you mine because you are a struggling student.
    That would be an extremely generous and impressive gesture of kindness Mark!
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    That would be an extremely generous and impressive gesture of kindness Mark!
    tange1,

I really feel strongly about helping college students. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a new i760 when it comes out and I want to help out others that are trying to better them selfs.

Can this site setup an area so that others could donate their old devices for struggling college students? However, I would want to some how make sure that they are really college students in need.
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 10-05-2007 at 06:19 PM.

yea I actually think that is a good idea...even if I am not a recipient. Although I am currently a sophomore at U of Iowa in Computer Engineering.....its not that fun but I just have to stick it out 2 more semesters until I get to the good classes.

I know i am but what are you?
    JSKILL, i was going to send you my old, I730 until i see you are attending the U of I.

Just kidding.

I've been through 8+ of them I730's, not because they were bad mostly, but because they didn't perform very well after a major upgrade.

I would part with mine for less than $100 and that would include a bunch of Styli, a few batteries, cradle, case,

What did you all have to upgrade on them?

I know i am but what are you?
    we added WM5 on the I730 (from 2003 version). this then created other issues, such as Processor scaling etc (and there are many threads on that).

one question I did have that has yet to get answered was about the size of the phone. Would this phone be able to fit in a pocket comfortably?

Seems to me the 'student thing' would be a good idea; I've certainly had my share of supporting CS students thru summer programs, early hires, doing my share of teaching UG & GR CS (not at a top 10 tho), etc. This'd be helpful as well. I wonder if we need something like a clearinghouse or something to vett demand versus supply. OT I guess for this post, but...
    John

one question I did have that has yet to get answered was about the size of the phone. Would this phone be able to fit in a pocket comfortably?
    Depends on how big your pockets are.....

Seriously though, I don't think so. You can throw it in there in a pinch, but you wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis, IMHO. It is a little bit of a brick. I used the OEM holster for it for 2 years (well, one broke and I got another one).

I like the college discount idea. I have my i730 on sale in the Garage Sale forum, but I'd give a college discount!
    Jeremiah 29:11

is there a big size difference between the i730 and i760?

Comparison

is there a big size difference between the i730 and i760?
    Here's a great comparison from a previous post...

Size: Apple iPhone vs Samsung SCH-i730 vs Samsung SCH-i760

thanks for the link....exactly what I was looking for