+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

what's the better Map Program

Google or Live???? Oh and why? Lastly is it still worth it if you don't have GPS?

LIVE for me

I'm an an avid fan of Live, who converted from Google Maps...

To me the user experience is a lot better....feels like it's a naitive app to the phone, integrates with contacts nicely, and actaully feels like it performs better...though I have no scientific proof of that...

Here's a comparision review of the two...it's an older review but still worth a read...

Smartphones: Windows Live Search For Mobile vs. Google Maps Mobile - Gizmodo

Also, an indication for me was that my wife is definately not a techie...and she loves using LIVE on her Q...

how does it integrate w/your contacts??? Tell me more .. I love this stuff

I love Live as well---much more production and easy to use. From Live search you can add found items to your contacts. Dial the number, map directions, search nearby, etc.... Google will do much of the same, but not as cleanly IMHO.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Now what do I do? I'm sure I learn once I get a PDA phone but I download it to the card or the i760 or do I have to put it on my computer first then move it or somthing to the card or i760.. on that point is it better to load programs on the card or the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP007 View Post
    Now what do I do? I'm sure I learn once I get a PDA phone but I download it to the card or the i760 or do I have to put it on my computer first then move it or somthing to the card or i760.. on that point is it better to load programs on the card or the phone?
    With Live Search you can download it directly from your phone...Simply open your browser and go to:

http://ls.windowsmobile.com

It may be true for Google Maps too...not sure

yes, both can be downloaded from the device....

I put Live on the main memory. Just a preference...
    Jeremiah 29:11

I usually keep them both on the phone. Occasionally one has a better map then the other.

But in the end I use Live Search. It is SO easy to use one handed. Google requires too much screen tapping.

I too love Live search. Even without a GPS I've used it several times to find places to eat and hotels to stay at. You have to know where you are at, obviously, but when you're travelling down a interstate it is pretty easy to find your starting location.

I also like how it has movie listings now. When you are at a movie theater and your movie is sold out, do a quick search to find other showtimes at other nearby theaters... works good and works quick.

looks like this will be my first program that I'll be adding to the i760.. next any good tip calculator programs? that will be my next thing, then when I get the hang of everything (if I ever get the hang of it) I want to maybe put an iphone type home screen so I can just tap on things w/out stylus.

I'll join the chorus and say Live is just a little bit better than Google. Oddly enough, earlier today I decided to delete Google and keep WLS (Nothing wrong with having both.) You do not need a GPS to use WLS. I often search without needing to turn on my GPS.

I have a Freedom Mini GPS that you should look into getting. Do a search in this forum. A great GPS for under $100 and small enough to keep on your key chain. In anticipation: Freedom Mini GPS Receiver - AWESOME!
    Last edited by Captain Brick; 10-08-2007 at 09:14 PM.
    www.861.info
    www.freedomtofascism.com

The i700 looks so *big* now...
    One huge vote for Live over Google. The biggest distinguisher for me is the source of traffic data. Live gets it from traffic.com - where I live (Pittsburgh) I commute with a guy who has a Blackberry with Google Maps. We routinely both check traffic going out the door on the way home. Live is always more accurate - Google doesn't even have data most days. Google might upgrade its UI but unles they change their traffic data source, they won't beat Live.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP007 View Post
    how does it integrate w/your contacts??? Tell me more .. I love this stuff
    On Live, you can get directions to an address stored in your Contacts. Very handy.
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by karkclent View Post
    On Live, you can get directions to an address stored in your Contacts. Very handy.
    You can do that with Google maps as well.

Talking WLS, Like it but needs some features>>>

Anyone know if there is an online help page for WLS? I want to know how to do things like:

1) Route up
    2) Select preferred route or route through
    3) Show favorite or saved places on the map

Any other tricks or tips would be nice. I currently use Mapopolis, which I really like, but they're no longer supporting the product an the maps are getting old. Having a more integrated product with search and find features would be great.

Thanks

Voice Directions

I am a long time Mapopolis user (sad to see them go). Does anyone know if Google, LS or any of the other mapping programs provide voice prompt directions. If so please comment on your experience. I tried Ostia years ago and it was bad. Mostly because they would announce your turn as you were driving by it.

Thanks

Mark
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.
    --Lance Armstrong (1971 - ) U.S. cyclist, 7-time winner of the Tour de France, cancer survivor

Is Live Search included in the Windows Live Services cab that you can get at XDA-developers or is it totally separate?

Does the Live maps require you have a Hotmail/Live account?

pat----

live is a much more useful program than Google. it just seems, at least for now, MS is developing it much more, adding movie times and gas prices (which is excellent).

it's new voice recognition is a big plus, especially since Google doesn't have this. you can speak business names, cities, zip codes and even full mailing addresses and it'll enter them in the program. a great plus while driving and the voice recognition is pretty accurate.

it's a bit limited compared to full-fledged GPS packages, but i use it about as much as i use TomTom and iGuidance.

Live now has voice recognition. Very handy for one handed operation while driving (although not necessarily recommended).

download from

wls.live.com