Closed Thread

No more waiting for the I760 - I switched to the Tilt

I got tired of waiting for the Samsung I760 so on Friday I went to my local AT&T store and decided to take the new HTC Tilt for a month long test drive to see if I would be willing to turn away from Verizon and my beloved Samsung I730.

I have been with Verizon ever since the wonderful Samsung I700 came out for years ago, so needless to say I have always felt that the quality Samsung’s PDA was leaps and bounds above any other devices on the market. And when the Samsung I730 came out, this device was so far ahead of the game, that all other devices were laughable.

That being said I have to say that the HTC Tilt has really swayed me, this device is absolutely amazing. As you already know, GPS, Wi-Fi, 3.0 megapixel camera, HSDPA, and of course the screen that can be tilted upwards. So here are my thoughts after a few days with the device. Since there are so many screenshots out there already, I will not bother to put them in this little review.

Build Quality – I have always felt that the Samsung phones were FAR superior in the overall build quality and feel of the phone. But the Tilt feels great in the hands and the keyboard sliding is very sturdy with no wiggle. If it remains that way is still yet to be seen, but I think it will.

Screen – I have never like the brightness of other HTC PDA’s I have seen, but I have to say that I am more than satisfied with the quality of the screen on this device. If this is one of the considerations you have about switching from your I730, in my opinion it is a step up.

Keyboard – The keyboard is FANTASTIC!!! The keys have a great feel to it and are, for lack of better words, rubberized so they give you a great grip. One of the things I really like is that you can toggle Wi-Fi on and of by pressing the FUNCTION key and the LEFT ARROW key. My only complaint is that when the screen if flipped up it is a little hard to press the software keys, but it’s nothing I can’t get used to. Also I am a little disappointed that it does not have the numeric pad that the I760 will have, but there is no perfect device and I will just have to get used to dialing on the screen again, but if it’s good for the IPHONE it can be good for me.

Network Speed – This is where I was really concerned seeing that Verizon’s network is so great and I really depend on the network speed for my work in IT when I have to RDP into servers to do work when I am on the road. I have HSDPA in my area so I am ok as far as coverage. I did a bandwidth test by tethering to my laptop, and the speed was actually faster on the Tilt than it was on my I730. Screenshots of the speed tests are below.

Memory – The Tilt has twice the memory of the I730 and the I760 so there will not be any problems with running out of memory, and it leaves plenty of room for future upgrades.

CPU – The CPU is a dual core and the PDA is very responsive you will not have any problems at all with performance.

If anyone is thinking about upgrading their phone this is a great option. I like many of you have been frustrated with Verizon being so slow in releasing new quality phones and also the operating system updates to those phones. I have been waiting for the Samsung I760 for months, I know it will about in a week or two, but it does not matter because the Tilt is just an all around better phone. I have always felt as though I just HAD to stay with Verizon, and Samsung phones, but no more the GPS phones come out very frequently and the network quality of AT&T is (for me at least) comparable to that of Verizon. So if you are in the same situation as I am and get good coverage from AT&T I recommend you check out the Tilt.

I always appreciate the info that I find in this forum, so if anyone has any detailed questions about comparing these phones, just respond and ask, I will check back periodically, and answer any questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No more waiting for the I760 - I switched to the Tilt-att_speedtest.jpg   No more waiting for the I760 - I switched to the Tilt-verizon_speedtest.jpg  
    Last edited by fedorafitz; 10-08-2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Title change

Wrong forum

Sorry, I changed the title so that it is a little more fitting to this forum.
    Last edited by fedorafitz; 10-08-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fedorafitz View Post
    Sorry did not mean to break the rules, a few people requested a comparison of these phones if anyone who had a I730 purchased the Tilt, where should I post this?
    No need to start a new thread.
    Please post your i760/Tilt review here:

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...t-vs-i760.html

Ok, just posted in the correct forum. Sorry about that.

Great phone, crummy network kills it.
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People