+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

phoneAlarm & the i760

phoneAlarm was pretty popular with i730 users, and I expect it also will be equally popular with i760 users so I figured I would start this thread so we could discuss any phoneAlarm issues.

I'll start by announcing that yesterday Bruce released version 1.62, which is supposed to have better support on WM 6 devices. According to the version history, these are the changes in version 1.62:

• Fix missed call link for Treo with WM 6.0 upgrade
    • Resolve WLAN for newer WM 6.0 devices
    • Fix skin center/right alignment for Date / Clock
    • "Run Program" option command line fixed
    • HP iPAQ WLAN works
    • Battery charge image only when really charging (not just external power)
    • Deleting one cell in Location group now possible
    • WLAN snapshots improved (please recreate all snapshots)
    • WLAN location improved
    • Fix - Backlight turned off sometimes when working with device
    • Add Custom SMS alarms and SMS Forwarding on CDMA networks
    • Major rewrite of Voicemail as SMS logic
    • New skin option: Image_Location
    • Signal alarm disabled on increased signal even if device sleeping
    • Issues wth old reminders sounding on reset fixed
    • Reset option for data volumes (on signal pop-up)
    • Free SMS shown on signal pop-up and rotator
    • Fix issue with expired alarms not always sounding on new item with alarmOnEveryEvent flag
    • Fix Wifi activation not in Lite version
    • Fix location switch on some devices
    • Lite version - add AppLinks support
    • MMS support for WM 2003 devices
    • Support upto 4 Flexmail volumes on Storage
    • Daily data volume in scroller
    • Location groups expanded
    I'm still getting used to my i760 and, thus, have not installed pA yet. However, I'll probably do so within the next week and will report back on how it goes.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

not to be a total dork but can you please tell me what this program is all about? I once created a topic about "what programs are a must?" and everyone also said this program. Doesn't this phone have alarms or show on the today screen if you missed a message, call or have an email and play some kind of tone when it happens?
    Thanks for any help,
    John

I had issues with Bluetooth OBEX not working after installing the last version. I don't feel like being a guinea pig again, because it was broken until I hard reset.

Basically WM5 and WM6 Pro miss the boat on a few phone must haves. PA provides the following features missing from the OS:

- profiles (Normal, Meeting, Silent, Outdoor, Headset, Car, ...) with literally 40 settings for each profile for volume, vibrate, popup, LED, etc for calls, alerts, reminders, etc
    - configurable repeated alerts and reminders: set the number of times maximum to do the configured notification (based on the current profile above), set the interval to remind, set the battery % to stop repeating reminders
    - skinnable Today plug in, with (as highlights): change profiles, see new SMS, see new email, see # missed calls, Bluetooth status, wifi status, battery, signal strength, and umpteen more things that would make this post go on forever

and that's just he surface. There are probably users who are amazed I didn't mention this that or the other feature, there's just so much in this app that you can't really cover it all.

The only other thing I have on the first page of my phone with PhoneAlarm is rlToday. I use Wisbar Advance Desktop, so all my agenda/PIM stuff is on my second page and I use SBSH PocketBreeze. I'm still messing with skins and apps and designs on my i730 so I can set up what I want and just duplicate it on an i760 once I get it without the dozen skins for each of the dozen skinnable apps I'm playing with. You can really go down a rabbit hole with skinnable apps, so if you do remember that it is a good idea to only change a couple of things at once so you know that if something messes up, there's only a couple of things that could have caused it.

I have a dialpad that hates the Resco Today plug-in. Took me forever to figure out those two were fighting, because I really want the dialpad skin.
    -s

but doesn't the i760 today screen also tell you new SMS, Email, Calls, Bluetooth Statu and Wifi Status and the signal and battery strength? I'm not trying to be a wise ass I'm just trying to soak up all this VAST info on PDA's it's soooooo much info

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP007 View Post
    but doesn't the i760 today screen also tell you new SMS, Email, Calls, Bluetooth Statu and Wifi Status and the signal and battery strength? I'm not trying to be a wise ass I'm just trying to soak up all this VAST info on PDA's it's soooooo much info
    yes, there are plugins that VZW and Samsung have added that do provide this information, which is nice. However, one that is lacking is "profiles", and there are quite a programs/plugins available out there to do so...

Phone Alarm is nice and it can pretty up the screen with some of the skins that are out there... as well as do more advanced profile stuff, such as turning features on and off, like wifi, bt, phone, etc.

cool so it's a "must have" so first I'll get the phone, then I'll download the Live Search map (think it's free) get a cool tip calc. program then buy this program.... Hey does the i760 Today Screen tell the weather like iphone and HTC Touch or do I have to get some program for that too? Also does all these programs bloat the phone and slow it down or is it fine? Oh last thing does that program have any home themes that is kind of like the fruit phone? Meaning big enough to just touch the icons insted of using the stylus? One of the memebers here told me about this cool site that has this bata program that he is trying out but since I know nothing about PDA's yet I'm kind of scared to try something like that until it's proven and all the bugs are out of it.... Think it's whoneedsaniphone.com or something like that I have it in my PM. Anyone going to try that?
    Last edited by JohnP007; 10-09-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Another PA Feature

You can use PA to set up a schedule for profiles to automatically initiate ie; Airplane profile @ 10pm turns off all radios so phone won't wake you... Nite profile to dim backlight after dark ... Work profile 8am to 5pm Mon thru fri ... automatically switch to Meeting profile for your calander appointments ... Cybwwulf did good but we both just touched the surface ... PA is the awesomest
    Tom

Another cool feature is that pA can control Voice Command. So, for example, you can VC announce incoming calls when your at the office (using pA's Work profile) but have VC turned off when you're in a meeting (using pA's meeting profile). For some devices, it also can control push e-mail. The only problem is that something as powerful as pA can have a tendency to screw up your device if you make a wrong setting. Thus, I suggest new users try pa Lite for awhile before trying the full version of pA.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

No native weather program on the i760---you'll need something simple like SPB Mobile Shell or you can use something more robust like Pocket Weather or SPB Weather. But they work well.

I have used PA for a long time, but now just use SPB Phone Suite. That adds the profiles and repeat alarms. PA is great---but is does do a lot, and as iProb8 says, sometimes too much---or causes freezes.
    Jeremiah 29:11

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    I have Phone Suite and Pocket Plus, am I missing anything from PA?

Quote Originally Posted by brassMONKEY View Post
    I have Phone Suite and Pocket Plus, am I missing anything from PA?
    Yes, PA will change profiles based on time, not just your Outlook calendar. (PA will change on that too if you want.) I miss that function---I had it set to go quiet at 11PM and back up at 6AM, change to a subtle ring at 8AM and back to Apache (SugarHillGang) at 5PM, etc... It did it all automatically. PA also has a ton more features for minute tracking, skins, etc... Look at pocketMax Software - Pocket PC Software & development for more.
    Last edited by mwfielder; 10-10-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Brass,
    The icons look like they are a nice size on phone suite can you just use your finger to tap or do you still have to use the styles?

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    Yes, PA will change profiles based on time, not just your Outlook calendar. (PA will change on that too if you want.) I miss that function---I had it set to go quiet at 11PM and back up at 6AM, change to a subtle ring at 8AM and back to Apache (SugarHillGang) at 5PM, etc... It did it all automatically. PA also has a ton more features for minute tracking, skins, etc... Look at www.pocketmax.com for more.
    Also, with pA, you can set profiles based on the category of an appointment. Thus, for me, when an appointment is assigned to the "Court" category, it sets my phone to meeting mode, which I have customized to completely silent.
    -Jay

Brass,
    The icons look like they are a nice size on phone suite can you just use your finger to tap or do you still have to use the styles?
    When I was using Spb Mobile Shell on my i730, I used my fingers all the time. The icons are almost perfect finger size.
    -Jay

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    Yes, PA will change profiles based on time, not just your Outlook calendar. (PA will change on that too if you want.) I miss that function---I had it set to go quiet at 11PM and back up at 6AM, change to a subtle ring at 8AM and back to Apache (SugarHillGang) at 5PM, etc... It did it all automatically. PA also has a ton more features for minute tracking, skins, etc... Look at www.pocketmax.com for more.
    So, I could automatically have the phone not ring or have any alerts whatsoever from, say, 10P to 7A? Then automatically change to my vibrate then ring profile at 7A?

Brass,
    You can choose either big or small icons. The larger icons would be easy to tap with your finger. -I use the smaller icons and scroll through everything (like a smartphone) with the D Pad.

Quote Originally Posted by brassMONKEY View Post
    So, I could automatically have the phone not ring or have any alerts whatsoever from, say, 10P to 7A? Then automatically change to my vibrate then ring profile at 7A?
    Yes, exactly.

Correction on PocketMax address

I was getting an error on the .com address. It is actually:

pocketMax Software - Pocket PC Software & development

Thanks. I believe I will become a PA user without a doubt when my i760 arrives.

JF

whoops--I fixed it... :blush:

Quote Originally Posted by cybrwulf View Post
    I had issues with Bluetooth OBEX not working after installing the last version. I don't feel like being a guinea pig again, because it was broken until I hard reset.
    Hi,

To activate OBEX with phoneAlarm - you need to enable "IR" option in the profile! Microsoft combined OBEX together with this feature.

Look forward to hearing if there are any issues once somebody starts using phoneAlarm on the i760

cheers
    Bruce
    Last edited by pocketMax; 10-11-2007 at 12:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast