+ Reply to Thread
    DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar

Looking for an honest comparison with the i730

It's fun to lurk in the background and experience the excitement of the first i760 users. I'm trying to make up my mind about acquiring the i760 when it is really released, or just keeping my i730 for about another year -- thinking that the iphone is just going to push the competition to better devices over the next 1 or 2 years.

But to honestly assess, I'd like to know how the i760 compares to its predecessor the i730. Has Samsung solved the "freezes" and constant need to reset, or is the new phone really stable?
    The only constant is change.

Hey Jim--

I'm running about the same software I ran on the i730, which is a decent amount. SPB products, Slingplayer, various games, Pocket Bible, Windows Live search, ePocrates, Palringo, Thunderhawk, jb5, Opera, MS Reader, TCPMP, and sync with exchange every 10 min, & check pop mail every 15. I've not had any freezes like I did with the i730 (the classic was to pick up my phone and realize it had been frozen for 2 hours). Now, my i730 froze worse as time went by--and I had installed and uninstalled hundreds of programs with only 2 or 3 hard resets over 2 years.

However, it really does the same things the i730 did. Only thing that seems noticably different is the HTML mail. Less mappable buttons--that's a bummer--but I bet that gets hacked. I'm not a fan of the landscape keyboard, but that is here to stay in the pda slider world--so I'll adapt.

The biggest plus to me is the size---much better than the i730, and it now makes it pocketable. Still feels like a brick in the pocket--but a slimmer one! It crosses the line to be comfortable---and the i730 never did for me. I like having the camera as well, but as with most camera phones---the pics are crappy for anything but MMS use.

So, for me the freezes aren't there. Only time I have had to soft reset is when I have been trying to do 4 things at once. As Equus posted, it isn't a big change, but the little things are nice.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I know i am but what are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCapraro View Post
    It's fun to lurk in the background and experience the excitement of the first i760 users. I'm trying to make up my mind about acquiring the i760 when it is really released, or just keeping my i730 for about another year -- thinking that the iphone is just going to push the competition to better devices over the next 1 or 2 years.

But to honestly assess, I'd like to know how the i760 compares to its predecessor the i730. Has Samsung solved the "freezes" and constant need to reset, or is the new phone really stable?
    I would say the have not solved the "Freezes" i had an incoming call this morning, I couldn't answer. I did do a Soft reset.

I don't have much software installed either. it is better than the I730 however.

no freezes here in nearly a month now since I got it. I have had to hard reset because of software such as Phone Alarm screwing up bluetooth, but other than that, no issues.

I think the real question is are the changes on the SCH-i760 enough to be happy with it for two years, or will the Photon devices be out next summer?

I am still a hold out. Just not compelling enough for me to give up my two year renewal for another two years.
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People

Quote Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
    I think the real question is are the changes on the SCH-i760 enough to be happy with it for two years, or will the Photon devices be out next summer?

I am still a hold out. Just not compelling enough for me to give up my two year renewal for another two years.
    Keep in mind, your two year renewal is only good for 6 months.... You could always get a $50 credit if you just do one year...

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Keep in mind, your two year renewal is only good for 6 months.... You could always get a $50 credit if you just do one year...
    Has anyone ever had VZW actually pull that on them?

As for an a comparison. my current i730 does not freeze.
    My first one that I used for a year and a half did not (excluding third party software). I had to replace it, and that replacement would freeze all the time. I had it replaced and no more freezing. (now, if it only charged the battery properly.)

I believe my point is that these devices are so complex, they can't completely test them before they ship, so a large number of them will have manufacturing defects. Get it replaced until you get a good one.
    Last edited by Wayne Orwig; 10-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Hmmm, Wayne Orwig = Dangerous???

j/k - I agree. Nothing worse than the refurb junk they tend to send out. bubbles in the screen, charging connectors shot. it's actually pretty pathetic. I agree with Wayne - keep trying until they get it right. Luckily, I've found that early on they don't have many refurbs laying around so if you have an issue that you notice quickly I would try to get a replacement ASAP so the chances of getting a new phone are higher.

I wish I could have gotten a replacement for my 730 a few months back - it is totally shot. Luckily I have another one laying around - I just don't want to mess with the syncing, etc. due to the impending (hopefully) release of the 760.

While I agree that the 760 isn't the be all and end all of technological advancement, I've used the full 2+ year life span of my 730 up and don't have a choice. I need a new phone! Hopefully this will tide me over and I'm VERY confident that I will have some options to upgrade at well below full cost if something comes out before my NE2 is up on the 760.

Sorry I don't have the 760 yet for the comparison but thought I'd throw in my $.015.

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

NE2 or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Michael, I guess I am dumb. I know you can always renew earlier and forfeit some of the NE2 $100 bonus. Is that what you mean? If you could expand a bit on your comment? Also, I am on a business plan with a poor customer support person.

I really want the Photon device, but I have my doubts it will appear by summer next year. I don't want to be hamstrung by NE2 if it does appear within a year.
    Last edited by maxnix; 10-15-2007 at 11:49 AM.
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People

Forever Confused
    I think your worries are unfounded. If they do come out next summer. Verizon won't have em.

Not trying to be a smart@ss. But that just seems to be the way it is.

Agree....

Quote Originally Posted by cougargt View Post
    I think your worries are unfounded. If they do come out next summer. Verizon won't have em.

Not trying to be a smart@ss. But that just seems to be the way it is.
    I'd be shocked if "The Network" has a Photon phone in 2008....And I'd love nothing more than to be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by JimCapraro View Post

Hi, Jim. I'm glad to see you're still around. I've been meaning to PM you to see how you've been but--well, you know how it is--life with a spouse and two young kids.

I've had my i760 for two weeks now and am loving it! I'm hoping to get to write up a more complete review later tonight. The one thing I don't want to forget to mention is that so far, I have not had any problems dialing out like we used to have with the i730 before SuperDave's dialparser hack. I have had to soft reset a few times, but I'm pretty sure those were due to third party software issues.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)