+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intervention needed...

I'm looking for some help here. After waiting and waiting for the i760 like everyone else. I am now leaning towards an iPhone. I am hoping to be talked out of it.

A little history first...
    I've had an i730 for over two years. Though I've had the little problems (processor speed issue, updating to WM5, etc) I've never had the big problems I've seen reported here (constant freeze-up, hard resets, etc). I use tethering a lot, especially when traveling. This is why I am a big fan of EVDO. Unfortunately, I never installed a screen protector so my i730's screen is pretty scratched up. I am due for my NE2 and I am out of contract. I have the unlimited data plan & two additional lines on my family plan (both LG VX5300's).

Though I've seen iPhones, I have not played with one until yesterday. The screen is absolutely gorgeous! The interface is easy and cool. And the size is perfect.

So now I have a decision... iPhone or i760?

Here's my quick comparison chart:

Even though the i760 has more check marks, the two "removable" categories are not as important to me as I thought they would be.

Any compelling arguments for me to keep waiting and not switch? Any reasons I did not think of?

Help, please.

I'm curious why you think the iphone wins on more after market accessories? Or are you simply saying that you prefer the aftermarket accesories found w/ the iphone?
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

What about service in your area? In my area AT&T is ruled out all together.

I need exchange server connectivity. Only get that with WM. May mean nothing to you though.

And there are a couple of add on apps that seal the deal for me. iPhone can't cut it.

Based on this statement you made: "I use tethering a lot, especially when traveling. This is why I am a big fan of EVDO." I would have to say the i760 is your only choice. Can you even tether an iPhone? If yes, you sure don't want to do it on AT&T's network.
    Last edited by rpretzel; 10-11-2007 at 12:58 PM.

No arguments...Go buy an iphone...and when the next gen iphone shows up in a few months you can kick yourself...lol

-BINNER

Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    I'm curious why you think the iphone wins on more after market accessories? Or are you simply saying that you prefer the aftermarket accesories found w/ the iphone?
    Just a quick eBay search. Nothing scientific on my part.
    Last edited by Reset; 10-11-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Orwig View Post
    What about service in your area? In my area AT&T is ruled out all together.

I need exchange server connectivity. Only get that with WM. May mean nothing to you though.

And there are a couple of add on apps that seal the deal for me. iPhone can't cut it.
    Good points.

Service (coverage) was the reason I left AT&T for Bell Atlantic Mobile in 1999. But it has improved greatly since.

Exchange not a big deal for me. I sync with Sync Center and pop mail off my Exchange server when mobile.

Truth be told, I use the games more than any other application. I do like Opera over PIE so I guess that would count here.

Quote Originally Posted by BINNER View Post
    No arguments...Go buy an iphone...and when the next gen iphone shows up in a few months you can kick yourself...lol

-BINNER
    This is exactly what I'm afraid of. VZW taking so long to roll out the i760, that an iPhone work-alike will be released shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by rpretzel View Post
    Based on this statement you made: "I use tethering a lot, especially when traveling. This is why I am a big fan of EVDO." I would have to say the i760 is you only choice. Can you even tether an iPhone? If yes, you sure don't want to do it on AT&T's network.
    You cut right to the chase, for me this is THE most compelling reason to wait it out. This and the fact that my 11 year old daughter wants my i730 as a hand-me-down.

apples and oranges

Quote Originally Posted by Reset View Post
    I'm looking for some help here. After waiting and waiting for the i760 like everyone else. I am now leaning toward an iPhone. I am hoping to be talked out of it............Any compelling arguments for me to keep waiting and not switch? Any reasons I did not think of?
    I actually switched to the iPhone for a week, then switched back, so I'll share from that experience....

The iPhone is amazing...the interface is fantastic....the SMS app is the best, bar none....but in the end I think they're two different devices....the iPhone does some of what the i760 will do...and the flip side is that the i760 will do absolutely everything the iPhone will do...just not as gracefully....

As aesthetically superior as it is, it's not a PDA phone, no matter what they tell me...it's not....it's handicapped, I never got used to the keyboard (my hand kept cramping), and where I live/work the AT&T network is dismal...

Unless you have no need for either 3G, direct push, or business apps....and you use your PDA primarily as a phone and a media player, I don't think you'll be satisfied with the iPhone...the novelty during first 2 days are cool...but when the honeymoon is over, it's time for work and the frustration begins to set in...my 2cents...

If you are thinking about skipping the I760 and going to AT&T, you might consider getting the Tilt instead of the iPhone. The iPhone (as everyone is saying) is just not a functional device once you get past all the glamor & glitz.

You also might have a hard time finding an iPhone in the next couple of weeks:

Want an iPhone? You’re going to have to wait for 1.1.1 | The Boy Genius Report

The current iPhone cannot tether. There is no solid information yet on whether the planned 3G HSDPA iPhone will be able to tether. The current iPhone has no broadband radio, it's EDGE only.

A week ago I put on my technorati sensitive sunglasses and turned the Heart of Gold toward the nearest iPhone fanboy site. I got up from my computer and washed my hands when I was done, and came away with the information above.

On an iPhone, the interface will always be an inegral part of its design and memory and processor decisions will be made to support it. On a WM device, applications have advanced to the point that all of the software abilities of the iPhone can be duplicated and many have.

What can never be duplicated unless OEMs want to is the iPhone physical features. The screen size and the phone thickness are unlikely to come in WM devices any time soon. The mercury switch used to transition from portrait to landscape is not common at all in WM devices.

Eventually, if WNAI (whoneedsaniphone.com) advances too far, Apple will kill the project. The Picsel browser on our i730s proves the ability for a WM application to handle finger throw gestures, and Slide2Unlock perfectly emulates the iPhone locking tool. The open developer community of WM has created a huge cottage industry of little apps that don't need to go through Apple's central scrutinizer to be digitally signed as an approved match to their fashion accessory device. Some of those developers work on making WM look entirely not like what it looks like out of the box.

Take a look at some of the skinning pages at lakeridgesoftware.com. With that stuff, you can entirely emulate the iPhone launcher interface. Plus, you get the benefit of several external hardware buttons so that you don't need to click your way back out of several screens to make a phone call. Clinging dearly to the one button and stack metaphor design makes an iPhone easy to use but slow to navigate.
    -s

Epic Geek
    The only true killer app on the iPhone IMO is the safari browser, and it looks like companies the likes of picsel and opera are not far off from producing a similar experience.

I like cover flow, not enough that its a must have, and actually own an iPod touch. But i use it as a PMP in my car and when i walk, not as a business device.

I usually lock it in my glovebox during the day and don't usually carry it with me.

My WM Device goes everywhere with me, all the time.

If you are in love with the interface, as a new sub you can get an i760 and buy the 8GB touch for about the same price as an 8GB iPhone. Even less if you have NE2.
    Last edited by depressedVZWuse; 10-11-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    The only true killer app on the iPhone IMO is the safari browser...
    You're right....the safari app is excellent, but it's really restricted by the network speed....So I've got this great browser, "true interenet" experience...but try pulling up a full web page....unless you're on wi-fi....

It's like having a Ferrari and being limited to a road with 25mph speed limit and a freakin state trooper behind you....when you get on wi-fi it's like the small window when the trooper stops for coffee and doughnuts...
    Last edited by TDG01; 10-12-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Other browsers for PDA instead of an iPhone-Safari

FWIW

In the near future Firefox is going to jump into the mobile browser space. I already rely solely on that for browsing on my PC.

Mark
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.
    --Lance Armstrong (1971 - ) U.S. cyclist, 7-time winner of the Tour de France, cancer survivor

Crisis averted...

Thank you all for the responses.

I am not going to buy an iPhone today or anytime soon. I did see a solution to tether the iPhone, but the EDGE speeds have pretty much killed it for me. I think I will get an iPod Touch for my "interface-fix" and wait for the i760 (Thanks depressedVZWuse).

Though... I haven't looked at the Tilt until I saw in in the replies here.

hmmmm....

Seriously, thanks to all for keeping me fruit-free.

Epic Geek
    I think I will get an iPod Touch for my "interface-fix" and wait for the i760 (Thanks depressedVZWuse).
    Now if I can get my killer interface to tether via wireless to my sammy when it arrives, I think that will be the solution that works for me for the forseeable future.

I am an i730 to iPhone convert and so far have zero regrets here are some points:

1. By far the biggest "feature" has been reliability and responsiveness. IF I reset my i730 everyday it would be somewhat reliable but still suffer from random slowdown/hangs/unable to complete calls, forget going multiple days without reset. The iPhone has been a 100% reliable and always responsive to my actions. The UI is smooth as silk and MS has had many years to make Windows Moblie this good and I have lost faith they can even pull it off without starting over with perhaps a NT kernel based mobile OS.

2. I am faster on my iPhone virtual keyboard than I was with the i730, it's different than buttons but the smarts(expanding hit areas etc) can make using it really fast once you are used to it. I thought this would be a sacrifice but ended up being a plus along with no wasted device bulk for a real keyboard.

3. The battery life is amazing. No user replacable battery but it last 2 days with usage and wifi on. That makes a replacable battery a non issue for me.

4. Edge is not that slow. Browsing on edge with Safari to me is a much more useful experiance than Pocket IE on evdo and seemless wifi really offsets this even moreso.

5. I use imap for exchange and it works great for email especially HTML mail. No it doesn't sych calendar and contacts wirelessly and I really thought I would miss that more than I have(just sync when I dock). One thing it does do that I couldn't with activesync is have access to our public folders, imap allows this. Now I can see our fax server public folder (PDF faxes) which is interesting.

6. At&t has had just as good of coverage as Verizon in my area (Tampa, FL), and if I have any signal at all edge works.

7. You cannot tether but I may buy a 3g blackjack and switch sims when I need to tether, there are reports this works.

8. I do miss third party apps but I had become accustomed not having them as near the end I kept my i730 completely clean to avoid reliability issues. Many of the third party apps where to fix issues/annoyances with the i730 to begin with. Really though Apple needs to have downloadable apps on itunes, I am sure they will at some point but whos know how long. Web apps are a real alternative for many things, it is surprising what can be done with a real browser.

9. Updates, since I have had my iphone they have put out 3 updates some adding significant features. I doubt this trend will slow down until iPhone 2.0 which I would guess june 08. How many updates did we get for the i730?

You're right....the safari app is excellent, but it's really restricted by the network speed....So I've got this great browser, "true interenet" experience...but try pulling up a full web page....unless you're on wi-fi....

It's like having a Ferrari and being limited to a road with 25mph speed limit and a freakin state trooper behind you....when you get on wi-fi it's like the small window when the trooper stops for coffee and doughnuts...
    I love these analogies, although I pull up full pages on all the time on edge no problem heres my analogy:

Pocket IE on evdo is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Yugo, it sure goes fast when it works and doesn't crash, but it's not always how fast it will go that makes a good car.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin; 10-12-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Das Uber Tech Geek

i760 and iTunes

I don't understand why you think the i760 can't sync with iTunes, iPhoto, etc.
    I have a mac and currently my Treo 700W with Missing Sync will sync via BT which is something the iPhone wont' do on a Mac.

I'm looking for some help here. After waiting and waiting for the i760 like everyone else. I am now leaning towards an iPhone. I am hoping to be talked out of it.

A little history first...
    I've had an i730 for over two years. Though I've had the little problems (processor speed issue, updating to WM5, etc) I've never had the big problems I've seen reported here (constant freeze-up, hard resets, etc). I use tethering a lot, especially when traveling. This is why I am a big fan of EVDO. Unfortunately, I never installed a screen protector so my i730's screen is pretty scratched up. I am due for my NE2 and I am out of contract. I have the unlimited data plan & two additional lines on my family plan (both LG VX5300's).

Though I've seen iPhones, I have not played with one until yesterday. The screen is absolutely gorgeous! The interface is easy and cool. And the size is perfect.

So now I have a decision... iPhone or i760?

Here's my quick comparison chart:

Even though the i760 has more check marks, the two "removable" categories are not as important to me as I thought they would be.

Any compelling arguments for me to keep waiting and not switch? Any reasons I did not think of?

Help, please.