+ Reply to Thread

Question Problem Moving PIE caches?

Yesterday, I used MemMaid 2.0 to move PIE's caches (Temp, Cookies & History) to the microSD card. After I did that, PIE would hang whenever I tried starting it. The only way I was able to get PIE working again was to use MemMaid to move the caches back to Main Memory.

Has anyone else tried moving the caches to the microSD card? If so, how did you do it (e.g., MemMaid, SK-Tools, manual registry edit, etc.) and what were your results?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I don't know Jay, putting volital data like that on the card could be a problem if the card is going to sleep a lot. It may have a problems or at least be slow to wakeup in time for applications to use it.

Did you do this on your i730 without any problems?

IT Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    I don't know Jay, putting volital data like that on the card could be a problem if the card is going to sleep a lot. It may have a problems or at least be slow to wakeup in time for applications to use it.

Mark,

This is something that the MRailing Phone Tools.cab file did to some extent. Michael's cab file moved the temp files, cache, and cookies to the SafeStore\Internet folder. I took it a step further and did store this info on my SD card without problems. Perhaps this isn't possible with the i760. Speaking of SafeStore, does anyone know of the i760 has it?

Jay,

Hopefully a week from today I will be able to give you some input, but until them, I'm SOL.
    -Spencer

I have tried moving IE's cache to a memory card on several different devices. It always resulted in instability. I do this by editing the registry. On my i730 I moved the cachre to safestore and have never had any trouble with it. The best thing you can do is edit the regiistry to decrease the size of the cache so you don't have to keep deleting it. I have found 2 or 3 mb to be very good, the default is 15mb and it will make your memory disapear on you quite fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post

Mark, I know that on my i730 I had moved the caches from main memory. I'm pretty sure I moved them to my SD card, but can't say that with 100% certainty (if I didn't move them to the SD card, I moved them to Safestore). My i730 is in my car; I'll try to remmeber to check later.

Quote Originally Posted by efrsysop View Post
    Mark,

This is something that the MRailing Phone Tools.cab file did to some extent. Michael's cab file moved the temp files, cache, and cookies to the SafeStore\Internet folder. I took it a step further and did store this info on my SD card without problems. Perhaps this isn't possible with the i760. Speaking of SafeStore, does anyone know of the i760 has it?

Jay,

Hopefully a week from today I will be able to give you some input, but until them, I'm SOL.
    The i760 does not have SafeStore. Instead, it just has one partition called "Storage." I forgot to make a note of what the unused space was when I first got the phone. Right now, it shows total Storage memory as 64.46 MB with 23.07 used. However, that's after I've installed several programs.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ken257 View Post
    I have tried moving IE's cache to a memory card on several different devices. It always resulted in instability. I do this by editing the registry. On my i730 I moved the cachre to safestore and have never had any trouble with it. The best thing you can do is edit the regiistry to decrease the size of the cache so you don't have to keep deleting it. I have found 2 or 3 mb to be very good, the default is 15mb and it will make your memory disapear on you quite fast.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Ken. I'll try making the size of the cache smaller. If MemMaid's reading is accurate, and if I'm reading it correctly, the default size of the cache is 32MB. Specifically, MemMaid shows cache size to be 32,922 KB and reading buffer to be 81,920 B.
    Last edited by iProb8; 10-15-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    -Jay

Exclamation Moving Email and PIE Storage to Cards

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Has anyone else tried moving the caches to the microSD card? If so, how did you do it (e.g., MemMaid, SK-Tools, manual registry edit, etc.) and what were your results?
    Yes, I moved PIE cache and email to my SD card according to the post on the SCH-i730 forum, which in turn quoted a pocket PC site.

It was all done through registry hacks in WM5, but the directories named varied on the Samsung SCH-i730, so one has to pay attention.

Works great, and it should be an automatic option on WM5 and WM6, but you have to have the dedicated card always installed while operating.
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People

Quote Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
    Yes, I moved PIE cache and email to my SD card according to the post on the SCH-i730 forum, which in turn quoted a pocket PC site.

It was all done through registry hacks in WM5, but the directories named varied on the Samsung SCH-i730, so one has to pay attention.

Works great, and it should be an automatic option on WM5 and WM6, but you have to have the dedicated card always installed while operating.
    My question was intended to be directed to the i760. I'm wondering whether there's something different about microSD cards as opposed to regular SD cards (e.g., speed difference) that makes me unable to move the PIE caches on my i760.
    -Jay

My reply was to indicate that a registry hack if correct is better than a canned program if the correct registry entries and values are known.

Storage device formats should not make a difference.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
    My reply was to indicate that a registry hack if correct is better than a canned program if the correct registry entries and values are known.

Storage device formats should not make a difference.
    Thanks for the clarification. When I have more time, I'll do some poking around in the registry to see if I can find the correct key.
    -Jay

Well, use the article quoted in the SCH-i730 forum as a guide.

The hack was on a PPC running WM5, but some of the folder names were changed. The registry structure for IE and Outlook was identical, however.

Don't know which PPC devices run WM6. Not even sure if any (HP?) are in production.
    Brian