+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Luser

What do I want in my post SCH-i760 phone?

I currently own the SCH-i730. Given that it seems to be about 4 years between new models, I assume I'll eventually be forced to give it up and get the SCH-i760. I was initially pretty excited about it, but the excitement has waned. What do I really want from a phone in terms of features and form factor? Here's my thoughts, compared against the 730 and 760 (I'll call my ideal phone the 777).

Memory:
    730/760: 64M RAM/128M Flash
    777: 128M RAM/256M or more Flash
    64M/128M has been standard PocketPC fair for ages now. The RAM number especially has just been too low for running multiple applications. It wouldn't have been so bad is WM's memory management actually worked, but it doesn't, so it isn't.

Keyboard:
    730: Qwerty in vertical slider
    760: Qwerty in horizontal slider, numeric external
    777: numeric external, with an extra row of buttons to quickly switch between T9 modes instead of the slow long-hold to switch one mode at a time, no Qwerty.
    I really don't have any use for the querty keypad. With the SCH-i600 I used to have T9 worked really great. If I really want to write a large amount of text, I'd rather pull out the pen and ink it. And I really hate the horizontal sliders. WM is way too wasteful of screen real estate in landscape mode to be very usable that way.

Screen:
    730/760: QVGA 2.4"(did I get that right... it's in that neighbourhood anyway).
    777: VGA 4"
    I still carry my iPaq hx4700 and tether it to my 730 because the surfing experience (not to mention terminal services client experience) is so much better with a 4" VGA that there is just no comparison. I also use it as an ebook reader. Again, no comparison to the 730. I have the ebook software installed on both, but only use the phone for that sort of thing in a pinch. Give me an hx4700 form factor, but move the screen up 1/4" or so to make more room for a numeric keypad at the bottom. I actually like the touch pad of the hx4700, especially when using TSC, but it can be finicky about recognizing a tap. A better would would be prefered.

Battery:
    730/760: both standard and extended are included, but...
    777: battery should cover the whole back of the device so that thicker extended batteries don't give the device an ugly hump.

Broadband:
    730/760: EVDO (shocking that 760 isn't EVDO-A)
    777: Actually release with the state of the art networking.

Memory Slot:
    730: SD (4GB)
    760: MicroSD 2GB (4GB?) (MicroSDHC with hack, I've tried following the discussion about this, but it's very confusing... I'm under the impression it's still limited to 4GB)
    777: Something High capacity.
    I have a 16GB compact flash in my hx4700 and use it for my music player (4500 songs). It's absolutely scandalous for the 760 to not be able to support this.

Easy way to lock/unlock buttons:
    730: slider switch is awkward because sliding it too far back when unlocking will turn off screen. I leave it locked, and let opening the slider be my unlocker.
    760: dunno. Ability to unlock by opening slider is useless on a horizontal slider.
    777: The 730's slider switch would be OK if unlocking was all it did. I would position it under my thumb when holding it in phone mode, ie, where the record button is now, on the left side near the top.

Casing:
    730: all plastic
    760: ditto?
    777: magnesium case (nearly indestructable like my hx4700).

IR Port:
    730: makes great remote control
    760: gone
    777: THe IR port would be back, and placed in the same place it is on the 730.
    The hx4700 placed its IR port on the bottom instead of the top, which made it a pain for remote control use (besides being really weak). I want a strong one at the top like the 730.

Antenna:
    730: extendable
    760: internal only
    777: extendable like 730
    Extending the 730's antenna almost always gives me another bar of signal strength.

Bluetooth:
    730: crippled
    760: Don't know if DUN is crippled, but no networking protocol
    777: uncrippled
    I don't want to use DUN to tether, as that means the phone stops receiving email, text messages, and phone calls. I want the phone to just share the network connection it already has.
    Last edited by jgjackson; 10-15-2007 at 01:32 PM.

streamlined....

I'll keep my response simpler....

I'd be happy with the Tilt, with VGA screen, in the form factor of an iPhone...

Also a std USB connector....(not too much to ask for)....and a TAB key....I miss a TAB key....
    Last edited by TDG01; 10-15-2007 at 02:57 PM.

If Samsung keeps with the same numbering scheme, it'll most likely be called the i790.

No qwerty? Really?? huh. That is like in the top three must haves for me.

My Wishlist:
    Front numeric keypad
    Horizontal Qwerty
    Dual cell band radios for worldwide usage
    128/256 memory or more preferably
    iPhone form factor
    Infrared capability
    State of the art Bluetooth, WiFi, and network hardware
    Internal FM/AM
    Internal SiRf III GPS
    Battery that lasts 2 days with normal usage w/out a charge and adds no bulk
    VGA screen
    Windows OS that has GUI like the iPhone
    'Tilt' style screen might be nice
    Scroll wheel(BB style), trackball for mouse interface, & joystick
    Actual full size USB port or adapter so peripherals could interface

Super duper Wishlist:
    On board micro projector
    On board laser projected keyboard

Super uper duper Wishlist:
    Unit has eye recognition software/hardware and could utilize a HUD that would project onto the inside of my glasses wirelessly and allow me to 'point and click with eye movements. All the while remaining in my pocket.

Basically I want a laptop+TomTom+cell phone that has iPhone form factor for around $300 with contract.

Did I miss anything??

Registered Luser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdyrod View Post
    No qwerty? Really?? huh. That is like in the top three must haves for me.
    Yeah really. I used to have an SCH-i600. After it broke (skating accident), the qwerty keyboard on th SCH-i730 seemed like a step backwards. I just can't type as fast with those tiny keys as I could with T9, and mnemonic phone numbers require pulling up the virtual keypad in the phone application.

Epic Geek
    How about we get this one released first and then go from there?

I sing this while in character of Martin Short's 'Franz' from Father of the Bride 2
    Every party has a pooper, and that party pooper is you; Party pooper Party pooper

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdyrod View Post
    I sing this while in character of Martin Short's 'Franz' from Father of the Bride 2
    Every party has a pooper, and that party pooper is you; Party pooper Party pooper

Rowdyrod who are you kidding.....that's your real voice...lol

Wanna hear my order a cake? lol

In reality I'm from Alabama, so my southern drawl gets in the way of my 'Franz-speak'