+ Reply to Thread

PocketPlus & the i760

I did this with phoneAlarm, and I'm also going to do it with Spb PocketPlus, another program that was popular with i730 users. Please post all your PocketPlus comments and questions in this thread. I'll start by announcing that Spb has upgraded PocketPlus to version 4. Included among the new features are:

Version 4.0 is WM6 compatible. The upgrade price is $14.95.

I'll probably upgrade if for no other reason than for the smaller memory requirements. According to Spb, here's a comparison of version 3.2's memory requirements versus version 4.0:

[h3]Smaller and Faster[/h3]

We have spent more than half of our development time on optimizing the code, making Spb Pocket Plus as snappy and compact as possible.
    (Device: Dell Axim x51v)Spb Pocket Plus 3.2Spb Pocket Plus 4.0Desktop PC installer size4.96M1.54MCAB file size4.39M2.84MSize in file system on the device (ROM)4.20M2.91MMemory consumption (RAM)2.20M1.38MLoading time10.27 sec5.13 secFirst close button context menu open time3.07 sec1.10 sec
    I certainly wouldn't mind saving nearly 1 MB of RAM and 1.3 MB of ROM.

EDIT: Sorry, I tried cutting and pasting the memory comparison table from Spb's website. It lost formatting in the cut-and-paste process. The first figure listed is for version 3.2; the second figure listed is for version 4.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I loaded it up fine. Forgot to check my memory to see what the actual difference was. Nice touches. The finger scrolling is a really nice touch, more splash than function--but it is nice. Very "iphone-ish". PIE additions are nice. I did lose the "[suspend]" command, so I have to go back to hitting the button on top of the phone to turn it off. I guess I'll live....
    Jeremiah 29:11

iProb8, mwfielder,

Curious to know how you think PPC Plus is functioning with WM6. I had alot of issues on the i730 WM5 that I eventually got rid of it. Always liked their IE plugins.
    i760 VZW

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    Great thread idea, iProb8, should make searching for pocket plus answers easier!

Pocket plus seems to be working GREAT with WM6 and the i760! -Actually, it's kind of a weird feeling coming from the i730, but everything works! I literally have had to do maybe one or two soft resets in the month and a half or so I have had this phone! -Those resets were due to having too many programs open at once (no problems since I installed phone suite).

One issue, I had to move pocketplus and all phone suite plug-ins to my storage card (I still have phone suite in main memory).

What about landscape?

Does the software (and the various plug-ins) work well in the i760's landscape mode?

I just purchased version 4 and loaded it on my i760 after removing version 3.2.0. Interestingly, when I purchased it, I was allowed to select SCH-i760 as my device. I take this to be one more additional sign that the official release of the i760 is imminent.

As for Spb's claims regarding memory requirements, I'm not sure how accurate they are. With Spb 3.2 installed and the Today plug-in turned off, my i760 showed 35.76MB of free Storage and 28.52 MB of free Program memory immediately after a soft reset. After removing version 3.2 and soft resetting, my i760 showed 37.87 MB of free Storage and 28.64 MB of free Program. After installing version 4 and soft resetting, my i760 showed 35.32 of free Storage but only 28.30 MB of free Program memory (even less free than what I had with version 3.2). I'm guessing that the Today plug-in is what consumes most of the memory and that because I was not using the Today plug-in, I'm not seeing much different in free Program memory.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)