+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Definitive Charging and Syncing Cables Thread

Hi all. I've done exhaustive searches and found countless posts (too many to sift through to get good info). I thought it would be useful to discuss the cable options for the 760 for syncing only, for charging only and to sync and charge with the same cable.

My understanding is the following: In the box that comes with the original phone you have 2 cables:

1. A Sync cable that only allows data transfer and does NOT charge the phone (this connects via USB)
    2. A travel charger that plugs into the bottom of phone and into a wall outlet and ONLY charges the phone. With this plugged in, you are unable to sync the phone at the same time right out of the box.

Is this correct so far?

If I want to use a cradle I would be able to use the original sync cable to plug into that port on the cradle and the power cable would go into the other port correct?

If I want to have one cradle at home (using the above scenario) and one at work I will need the following for the work cradle:
    1. Another travel charger that plugs into the power port
    2. A sync cable (that is included in the box when you buy a cradle)

So far so good?

So if I buy 2 cradles when I order the phone I should also order 1 add'l travel charger and I will then have everything I need to power both cradles and sync with both cables correct?

Maybe someone can pull all of these charger questions into one thread or the FAQ's but I thought this would help folks who were ordering. (I just ordered mine!)

Thanks in advance!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

From what I have read, correct.

When you get the cradle, you MUST use a travel charger with it to charge the phone, so if you order two, you need at LEAST one extra travel charger.

For example I always carry a travel charger in my laptop bag, so I purchased an extra travel charger with my cradle, so I could have an extra travel charger.

But until Mac Media makes a sync'n'charge cable, I will be carrying the sync cable in my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetNut View Post
    Hi all. I've done exhaustive searches and found countless posts (too many to sift through to get good info). I thought it would be useful to discuss the cable options for the 760 for syncing only, for charging only and to sync and charge with the same cable.

My understanding is the following: In the box that comes with the original phone you have 2 cables:

1. A Sync cable that only allows data transfer and does NOT charge the phone (this connects via USB)
    2. A travel charger that plugs into the bottom of phone and into a wall outlet and ONLY charges the phone. With this plugged in, you are unable to sync the phone at the same time right out of the box.

Is this correct so far?

If I want to use a cradle I would be able to use the original sync cable to plug into that port on the cradle and the power cable would go into the other port correct?

If I want to have one cradle at home (using the above scenario) and one at work I will need the following for the work cradle:
    1. Another travel charger that plugs into the power port
    2. A sync cable (that is included in the box when you buy a cradle)

So far so good?

So if I buy 2 cradles when I order the phone I should also order 1 add'l travel charger and I will then have everything I need to power both cradles and sync with both cables correct?

Maybe someone can pull all of these charger questions into one thread or the FAQ's but I thought this would help folks who were ordering. (I just ordered mine!)

Thanks in advance!

Jay

IT Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    From what I have read, correct.

But until Mac Media makes a sync'n'charge cable, I will be carrying the sync cable in my bag.
    Michael-

I am working with Kent from Mac Media to help test the prototype retractable sync and charge for the i760. I will certainly keep you in the loop, Kent assures me upon my confirmation of a working product they will have cables within a few days.

Thank you for turning me onto Mac Media a few years back.
    -Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetNut View Post
    ....So if I buy 2 cradles when I order the phone I should also order 1 add'l travel charger and I will then have everything I need to power both cradles and sync with both cables correct?

Jay
    Jay...good idea on the thread....It's late and I know there's something I'm missing....so forgive me...but If you get 1 charger and 1 sync cable in the box, and you order (2) cradles, wouldn't you have to order another sync cable, as well as another charger???

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by TDG01 View Post
    Jay...good idea on the thread....It's late and I know there's something I'm missing....so forgive me...but If you get 1 charger and 1 sync cable in the box, and you order (2) cradles, wouldn't you have to order another sync cable, as well as another charger???

Bill
    Nope. The cradle doesn't use the sync cable. It uses a proprietary USB cable (actually the same cable as used with the i730 cradle) to sync with the PC, and also has a connector for the travel charger to connect to it.

So you actually only need to connect a travel charger to the cradle, and it comes with a USB cable...

Quote Originally Posted by efrsysop View Post
    Michael-

I am working with Kent from Mac Media to help test the prototype retractable sync and charge for the i760. I will certainly keep you in the loop, Kent assures me upon my confirmation of a working product they will have cables within a few days.

Thanks keep me updated on this. I always mention Mac Media because of my cable lasting through three devices, and never needing to replace it (except now when I need a new connector). I have no connection to them, but I do mentions companies like Mac Media and Pocketmax.net because of the great products they make. I only recommend what I use and have personally seen.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Nope. The cradle doesn't use the sync cable. It uses a proprietary USB cable (actually the same cable as used with the i730 cradle) to sync with the PC, and also has a connector for the travel charger to connect to it.

So you actually only need to connect a travel charger to the cradle, and it comes with a USB cable...
    Yes michael is correct......the first post is wrong.

The first post is right (since it mentions a cable that comes with the cradle), but it's simply a USB cable with a proprietary connection that only works with the cradle, and not directly with the phone.

Charging Cable plus Bluetooth Syn?

So, out of the box, we can only either charge or sync with a cable. I've seen postings and I think I am correct to say we can still use the charger out of the box and set up a bluetooth sync? At least we won't need to buy the cradle unless we want it.

Thanks

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    Thanks for the info that the cradle (called a "desk charger" by VZW) does include a sync cable as well. I was concerned and didn't buy the cradle because of the way the name and description listed on the site. Neither says anything about syncing, or a sync cable.

-Michele

Ok, for clarification . . .

The 'sync' cable that comes in the box with the PHONE only fits into the port on the phone itself - it does not work with the cradle. Nor does it charge the phone. It only serves as a USB connection between the phone itself and a computer to sync.

The power charger that comes in the box with the phone will work in both the phone and the cradle.

If you only want to sync the phone you do not need a cradle but you can not power the phone at the same time as you sync (no way to plug both a sync cable and a charge cable into the phone at the same time).

The only 'current Samsung' way to sync and charge is to get the cradle. However, as discussed above, there are 3rd parties that have single sync & charge cables that will allow both simultaneously without needing a cradle.

If you use a cradle, each one comes with it's own sync cable. That cable has a proprietary connection that will only fit into the cradle (it will NOT fit into the phone) but it does come in the box when you order the cradle.

The power cable that comes with the original phone will work on both the phone AND the cradle so this is how you can charge and sync using the cradle (and why you may not need an add'l power cable if you are only using 1 cradle).

So:

Phone syncing only - Use the sync cable included in the box when you buy the phone
    Phone charging only - use the charger included in the box when you buy the phone
    Simultaneous sync/charge via the PHONE - buy a 3rd party sync & charge cable (Samsung does not offer one right now)

Cradle syncing only - use the proprietary sync cable included in the box when you buy the cradle
    Cradle charging only - use the charger that came with the original phone or order an add'l charger
    Simultaneous sync/charge via the CRADLE - use either the original power charger that came with the phone or order an add'l one and the sync cable that came with the CRADLE

Again the most confusing part is that the sync cable connections are not compatible with both the phone and the cradle but both the phone and each individual cradle come with their own sync cable. The only missing link is the power supply for each, which is interchangeable.

Hope that helps!

Jay

Got it....thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by efrsysop View Post
    Michael-

Spencer, thanks for the heads up. I have a retractable Mac Media cable for my i730 and love it. I keep it in my laptop bag at all times. I have been waiting patiently for Mac Media to release a retractable charge/sync cable for the i760. I'm going on a trip starting 10/24. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to order one before I go. Would you mind sending me a PM when the cable is available for purchase?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Das Uber Tech Geek
    Sync with a cable???
    That's what BlueTooth is for.

Only a charger needed.

OK, I must admit I'm confused.

It seems that The Pocketsolution has created a sync and power cable but now I'm not sure if this is the right item since your talking about waiting for Mac Media and I'm wondering what the difference is between the two.

I just bought two of the phones (one for myself and one for my husband) and want to make sure to get the best accessories that will do what we need to do (mainly charge and sync at work and at home).

So you cant trickle charge via USB? That's a pisser. I can always charge the PPC6700 with a standard mini-usb cable and anyone's PC wityh USB connection.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I thought I saw this somewhere but now can't find it ... does the "charging" cradle allow a spare battery to be charged while the phone is in the cradle like the I730 ... or ... without the phone in the cradle ... or how do you charge the other battery without it being on the phone???
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

cradle can charge the i760 and/or a spare battery at the same time.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by beckbear View Post
    OK, I must admit I'm confused.

It seems that The Pocketsolution has created a sync and power cable but now I'm not sure if this is the right item since your talking about waiting for Mac Media and I'm wondering what the difference is between the two.

I just bought two of the phones (one for myself and one for my husband) and want to make sure to get the best accessories that will do what we need to do (mainly charge and sync at work and at home).
    Mac Media made a retractable cable for the i730 whereas the Pocket Solutions cable is not retractable. I believe that's the primary distinction. Because I want a cable to keep in my laptop bag, I prefer the retractable cable so I don't have cable clutter in my bag. The folks who have bought the Pocket Solutions cable seem pretty happy with it so I think it all comes down to price and whether you want a retractable cable.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Good point - you can only charge the phone's battery unless you have the cradle. The cradle has a slot for the extra battery so you can charge the phone and an extra battery at the same time.

One other reason to consider the cradle.

Jay