+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Free Ram size on the I760?

I did search before posting this.

How is the Ram holding up? On my Treo 700wx, after soft reset, I have 38mg's free. How does that compare? further, when using apps, specifically WMP are you getting squeezed on memory? Has anyone run short?
    Last edited by tange1; 10-19-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Last night, I noticed that my i760 is suffering from a major memory leak. At the end of the day, I only had about 17.xx MB of free Program memory (with no programs running) whereas after a soft reset I typically have roughly 27-28MB of free Program memory. Thus, before I went to bed last night, I did a soft reset and nothing else other than checking on the free Program memory. It showed 27.xx MB of free Program memory. When I woke up and check it this morning, it showed only 25.xxMB of free Program memory.

I supsect this is due a software issue. Right now, I've got the following software installed:

Spb Backup
    Sync Client
    SlingPlayer Mobile
    Spb Wallet
    MemMaid
    Total Commander
    HealthFile Plus
    Diet & Exercise Assistant
    PocketGrandmaster
    TomTom Navigator 6
    Spb Pocket Plus 4.0
    Spb Traveler
    Spb Mobile Shell 1.5

FWIW, I have ActiveSync set so push e-mail is turned off at night, and I know it did not attempt a sync after last night's hard reset and before I checked it this morning.

In any event, I don't mean to hijack this thread. I too am curious as to what how much free Program memory is available on a virgin i760 (wish I had made a note of this when I first received my i760). Would someone who just bought an i760 today be kind enough to note the free Program and Storage memory when you first start the device (before installing any third party software).

Thanks,
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Last night, I noticed that my i760 is suffering from a major memory leak. At the end of the day, I only had about 17.xx MB of free Program memory (with no programs running) whereas after a soft reset I typically have roughly 27-28MB of free Program memory. Thus, before I went to bed last night, I did a soft reset and nothing else other than checking on the free Program memory. It showed 27.xx MB of free Program memory. When I woke up and check it this morning, it showed only 25.xxMB of free Program memory.

I supsect this is due a software issue. Right now, I've got the following software installed:

Spb Backup
    Sync Client
    SlingPlayer Mobile
    Spb Wallet
    MemMaid
    Total Commander
    HealthFile Plus
    Diet & Exercise Assistant
    PocketGrandmaster
    TomTom Navigator 6
    Spb Pocket Plus 4.0
    Spb Traveler
    Spb Mobile Shell 1.5

FWIW, I have ActiveSync set so push e-mail is turned off at night, and I know it did not attempt a sync after last night's hard reset and before I checked it this morning.

In any event, I don't mean to hijack this thread. I too am curious as to what how much free Program memory is available on a virgin i760 (wish I had made a note of this when I first received my i760). Would someone who just bought an i760 today be kind enough to note the free Program and Storage memory when you first start the device (before installing any third party software).

Thanks,
    That is what I was afraid of. One thing about the Treo 700wx, it's memory is rock solid and Ram never seems to be an issue. I use Memaid also, and when I check to see running processes for WMP over blue tooth it shows that is using almost 22mgs of ram. not a problem for the treo as you get about 35-38mg, but if your only seeing 28 mgs at soft reset that would leave very little for doing anything else. I guess I will see how the memory usage is when i get mine tomorrow. I recently tried the Q9M and it was plagued with the same low memory issue. If I was listening to music over BT the memory would get so low that it was start shutting down programs.

Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    That is what I was afraid of. One thing about the Treo 700wx, it's memory is rock solid and Ram never seems to be an issue. I use Memaid also, and when I check to see running processes for WMP over blue tooth it shows that is using almost 22mgs of ram. not a problem for the treo as you get about 35-38mg, but if your only seeing 28 mgs at soft reset that would leave very little for doing anything else. I guess I will see how the memory usage is when i get mine tomorrow. I recently tried the Q9M and it was plagued with the same low memory issue. If I was listening to music over BT the memory would get so low that it was start shutting down programs.
    I forgot to mention that it shows Total Program memory as 54.48 MB, which, of course, never changes.

Okay, I have not been playing with my phone at all this morning. It now shows 34.55MB in use and only 20.86 MB free. I've got to figure out what is causing my memory leak. Until I can do that, I'm not suring having me test WMP will help you.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I forgot to mention that it shows Total Program memory as 54.48 MB, which, of course, never changes.

Okay, I have not been playing with my phone at all this morning. It now shows 34.55MB in use and only 20.86 MB free. I've got to figure out what is causing my memory leak. Until I can do that, I'm not suring having me test WMP will help you.
    What processes does memaid show are currently running?

Might be a WM6 thing. The VZW6800 we tested started out with only 45 Total Program Memory with about 27 free after a soft reset. After several hours of heavy use it would be below 10MB!!! It reminded me of my Treo 700w.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Might be a WM6 thing. The VZW6800 we tested started out with only 45 Total Program Memory with about 27 free after a soft reset. After several hours of heavy use it would be below 10MB!!! It reminded me of my Treo 700w.

First off you are using sw that has not been certified on WM6 or an i730.

I would test it with a device clean right out of the box.

You cant just go loading up sw that you had from 2+ years ago.
    The os is a new architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post

Did I miss something? He didnt mention anything about what software he was using.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Did I miss something? He didnt mention anything about what software he was using.
    Sorry the post above.

The Cacheing in internet explorer killed me. I got as much as 17mb back after doing a 'delete files' in IE.
    on the bleeding edge

What processes does memaid show are currently running?
    filesys.exe 3.17MB
    shell32.exe 2.66MB
    gwes.exe 2.7MB
    voicecmd.exe 1.95MB
    MobileShell.exe 1.72MB
    device.exe 1.70MB
    cprogr.exe 1.39MB
    services.exe 843.55KB
    MemMaid.exe 711.67KB
    replog.exe 435.57KB
    Obiogosvc.exe 275.78KB
    ClientShell.exe 187.90KB
    tmail.exe 51.71KB
    SKManager.exe 19.90KB
    MITsMan.exe 15.90KB
    poutlook.exe 3.90KB
    AlarmManager.exe 3.90KB
    CallLogListener.exe 3.90KB
    NK.EXE 0 Bytes

MemMaid lists the only running programs as MemMaid (723.67KB) and ActiveSync (435.57KB).
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by me2u View Post
    The Cacheing in internet explorer killed me. I got as much as 17mb back after doing a 'delete files' in IE.
    Yeah, but thats storage. Not program memory.

filesys.exe 3.17MB
    shell32.exe 2.66MB
    gwes.exe 2.7MB
    voicecmd.exe 1.95MB
    MobileShell.exe 1.72MB
    device.exe 1.70MB
    cprogr.exe 1.39MB
    services.exe 843.55KB
    MemMaid.exe 711.67KB
    replog.exe 435.57KB
    Obiogosvc.exe 275.78KB
    ClientShell.exe 187.90KB
    tmail.exe 51.71KB
    SKManager.exe 19.90KB
    MITsMan.exe 15.90KB
    poutlook.exe 3.90KB
    AlarmManager.exe 3.90KB
    CallLogListener.exe 3.90KB
    NK.EXE 0 Bytes

MemMaid lists the only running programs as MemMaid (723.67KB) and ActiveSync (435.57KB).
    Voice command takes up alot of program memory as does having both shell and pocket plus. Off topic, but the new 4.0 pocket plus effectively eliminates the need for Shell.

Looking at the other processes its very comparable to what I am seing on my Treowx.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post

Mark, if you were referring to my post, I totally understand and agree with you. That's why I was hoping someone with a virgin i760 would let us know how much free Program memory the i760 has. I don't doubt that the problem is with one or more of the programs I have installed. The question is which one(s)? Many of the programs I am using are listed as being certified for WM6 (e.g., all the Spb programs & MemMaid). Frankly, I suspect my problem is being caused by either Mobile Shell, Traveler, or PocketPlus because those are programs that seem to always be running.
    -Jay

Mark, if you were referring to my post, I totally understand and agree with you. That's why I was hoping someone with a virgin i760 would let us know how much free Program memory the i760 has. I don't doubt that the problem is with one or more of the programs I have installed. The question is which one(s)? Many of the programs I am using are listed as being certified for WM6 (e.g., all the Spb programs & MemMaid). Frankly, I suspect my problem is being caused by either Mobile Shell, Traveler, or PocketPlus because those are programs that seem to always be running.
    I can get you that info on Monday, when I get my device, if nobody else hooks you up before then. It's gonna be a long weekend, waiting for the it, but I'll pass the time by getting pwned in Halo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    I can get you that info on Monday, when I get my device, if nobody else hooks you up before then. It's gonna be a long weekend, waiting for the it, but I'll pass the time by getting pwned in Halo 3.
    Thanks. I just uninstalled Mobile Shell and soft reset. It now shows roughly 27.30 MB of free Program memory (oddly, the number fluctuates a little; for a few seconds, it showed 27.29 MB free, not it shows 27.34). I won't use the i760 for a couple of hours and will see if the figure changes significantly. I do note that Spb already has identified a memory leak with Pocket Plus 4.0.0 when also running Spb Diary (which I'm not running yet) and has released 4.0.1 beta.
    -Jay

I've been tracking my memory usage on the i760 for the past several days. The short version is that I found free Program memory continued to decline--even when I wasn't using the phone. For example, right before I went to bed, I soft reset it and noted the amount of free Program memory. The next morning, when I woke up, I would check it only to discovery that free Program memory had declined overnight even though I had ActiveSync set NOT to push e-mails during that time period.

Despite removing several programs, I continued to experience the memory decline. Consequently, earlier today, I hard reset my i760 and checked the memory immediately after the hard reset. Thus, I can now report in response to the original question that a virgin i760 (immediately after a hard reset) has 32.82MB of free Program memory & 59.61MB of free Storage memory. (MRailing, perhaps this information would be good to have in the FAQs.)

Here's where things get a bit interesting. I didn't use my i760 after the hard reset and checked the memory one hour later. The free Program memory dropped to 32.45MB (a reduction of roughly 0.4MB). I then put the i760 aside.

About 1/2 hour later, I received a called, which I ignored. About 25 minutes later (a little more than 2 hours after the hard reset), I dismissed the missed call alert and then checked the memory. Free Program memory droppped to 31.70 MB--a reduction of roughly 0.7MB. So, in two hours, the free Program memory dropped 1.12MB.

Shortly after dismissing the missed call alert and checking the free memory, I turned on Bluetooth (it had been off) and paired my Jabra JX10 and made a 12 minute, 49 second call. When the call ended (20 minutes after my last memory check), I was down to 30.68MB of free memory. Since then, I've received a 7 minute, eighteen second call. My free Program memory is 30.64MB, which means that 3 1/2 hours since I hard reset, my free Program memory has gone from 32.82MB to 30.64--a reduction of nearly 2.2 MB--and this without me adding any additional software, performing an ActiveSync, or doing any type of configuration at all.

I'd appreciate it if someone else could try to confirm that they too experience this type of memory loss on their i760. Thanks!
    -Jay

yes I.ve been having similar issues but I.m going to do hard reset soon and not install anything

I talked with iProb8 tonight on the phone. The Program memory the "RAM" of the phone. This is the memory that is used when programs run. This is used and let go periodically. If it was using up Storage memory, then I would be worried, but seeing a little bit of fluctuation in Program memory should be normal.

Since my last post, I've missed 2 calls, had 1 call that lasted 1:25, had one call that lasted 7:17, had another call that lasted 8:38, had another call that lasted 1:12, had another call that lasted 7:02, and had another call that lasted 7:46. Free Program memory is now at 29.71 (approximately 11 hours after my hard reset).

The great news is that my battery is still running strong at approximately 80%.

I'm going do a hard reset, restore my data from a previous back-up, and then install my programs. After that, I'll try to avoid doing any soft resets and seeing what the memory ends up being after a few days use.
    -Jay