+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Add Windows Live services

So according to the cnet review, Verizon disabled Live services and Vcast services. I don't care much about vcast, and with Live all I care about is email.

I ported my main domain (and a few others) to live.com a while back, and I enjoy the functionality of it...5 gigs of mail storage with my personal domain without having to maintain a mail server.

I will mainly by synching the i760 with the company exchange server, which I was doing with my Q and loved it. I have no problem maintaining the calendar and contacts in Exchange, but I'd love to be able to easily get my live.com mail in addition to my company mail....

Ideas?

XDA has ported into a cab install. Search for it, but make sure you download the latest version: 10.6.0030.2100. The older versions are either beta (temporary) or buggy. The 2100 version is relatively stable.

Not sure why M$ has made this available for download from their site yet. There are alot of phones (non-VZW) that have it preinstalled.
    i760 VZW

What do you mean by live services? I downloaded windows live search and use msn mobile/live mail just fine?

There's an actual standalone email app for wmobile for live mail or plugin for winmob mail? That'd be nice

You can port your domain over to live.com and then your email address becomes your live passport.

For example, I've owned mylastname.com since 2001. my email address has been tim@mylastname.com since then...for the longest time I would maintain the mail on my own leased dedicated server. I moved the control of the mail to live.com (domains.live.com) and it makes life a lot easier...plus, I can use my longtime email address as my MSN/Hotmail/Live messenger ID, etc.

Live search is one of the first things I will install...I had that on my Q with a bluetooth GPS, and loved it.

I guess I dont understand what you are asking for or saying what's missing?

Yes, and now you can SPEAK what you want!! fyi

"Live Search for Windows Mobile with voice input. The updated Live Search for Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0 will be available for download for free on Tuesday, Oct. 16, and now includes voice input (beta version), gas prices, and hours of operation for businesses. The service can also use Global Positioning System (GPS) data on GPS-enabled phones to provide location-aware local search for customers. "

me 2

Quote Originally Posted by tmwes View Post
    You can port your domain over to live.com and then your email address becomes your live passport.

For example, I've owned mylastname.com since 2001. my email address has been tim@mylastname.com since then...for the longest time I would maintain the mail on my own leased dedicated server. I moved the control of the mail to live.com (domains.live.com) and it makes life a lot easier...plus, I can use my longtime email address as my MSN/Hotmail/Live messenger ID, etc.

Live search is one of the first things I will install...I had that on my Q with a bluetooth GPS, and loved it.
    so are you just looking to access live mail...or do you want the whole "live" experience...such as live spaces?

This was a major selling point for WinMo6....Why in the world would "The Network" disable it?

I don't want to have to go to whatever browser I have installed to check my 'mylastname.com' email. I want it to download into Outlook just like my Exchange email will; and I'm pretty sure I need the Live services to do that (just like I need the Live Desktop mail client or the new Outlook connector to get my mail). I could get around it by porting my domain over to google, and download it via POP mail...but I'm happy with the Live services; and I'd like to explore what else I can do with them since I'm getting a WM6 device.

Live search and Live services are two completely different things.

OK, I am lost too now.

I assumed you were referring to the Windows Live application that includes messenger, mail, & search, and has a decent today plugin.

If you just want your live emails, I am sure you can just leverage the Outlook Mobile, but not sure on how to set it up for Live Mail.

I have the Windows Live application installed on my i730 and when I go to Outlook Mobile and click options for Windows Live Mail, it goes to the application's setup, not the Outlook Mobile's normal setup.
    i760 VZW

ebb
    For those who haven't received their device yet, you can download from M$ here and move it the device when you get it.

Live Search for mobile

Live Search for Mobile

I've been using the latest version of Live Search for a couple of days now and can tell you that it is awesome. While traveling out of town, I spoke into my phone (after selecting "speak" of course) and said "mexican restaurants {pause} washington pennsylvania" and {POOF!} it confirmed Washington, PA and then listed 25 mexican restaurants in the area.

When I selected a specific restaurant, it listed the phone number that I could select to dial.

This is way better than any app I've ever used on my i730.

I had the old Live Search on my Q, and it WAS awesome. Looking forward to the speech functionality.

wow....

Quote Originally Posted by mmcgrath View Post
    {POOF!} it confirmed Washington, PA and then listed 25 mexican restaurants in the area.
    25 mexican restaurants in Washington, PA??? wow....

Live Search for Windows Mobile with voice input
    m.live.com

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    Ok, switching off of Live Search and back to the original topic.....

I'm interested in what you've done. I recently setup a hosted Exchange 2007 account for my personal domain's e-mail in anticipation of using WM6 for HTML e-mails. I've been very dissapointed.

I'd like to know more about this setup you have using Windows Live Hotmail for your e-mail. I see where I can link my domain's e-mail via POP3, but don't see how to actually point my domain to live.com for e-mail. Did you just change your MX record or did you actually change your DNS servers and/or registrar?

It sounds like this works with Outlook....is there any discernable difference compared to using Exchange? Once you get your phone connected, I'd like to know if you are getting full HTML e-mail as well.

Edit: Ok, found the FAQ and determined that Windows Live Mail is the PC client (unlike Windows Live Hotmail the web based service.) Found the FAQ... Windows Live Mail Beta FAQ but still didn't answer all my questions. It seems that they just use a POP connector to connect to your ISPs e-mail service, not actually pointing your domain to Live.com.

Edit 2: Think I found what I was looking for.... Windows Live Custom Domains
    Still waiting to hear about other questions above...esp HTML e-mail on WM6.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 10-19-2007 at 10:35 PM.

You have to go to domains.live.com, log in with an existing hotmail/live.com id, and add your domain.

Once you do, you have to change the MX record to point to whichever live.com mailserver it assigns you. From that point you setup accounts and you are good to go; an excellent webmail product, and I don't have to worry about my mailserver processing the spam.

The downside is that unlike when I had my domain on my server (or on Google hosted), I can no longer connect with any POP3 client...for desktop, I need the Windows Live Desktop mail, and for mobile, I'm presuming I need what was stripped out by Verizon. I don't know if it will be HTML capable.

For Exchange, we have an SBS server, so I'm still on Exchange 2003 with that...so I won't have HTML mail for that anyhow. I love the Exchange setup; it is instantaneous push mail (which really improved my Q battery life instead of using Wireless Synch), and I just maintain all my contacts/calander in my work account. But I still use the domain I have on Live for personal email.

I'll try the CAB file mentioned above when I get the phone on Monday and let you know how it works out.

Not related to the phone; but I just downloaded today the Live Mail Outlook connector for Outlook 2007 so while at work I don't have to have Outlook AND the Live Mail desktop open....it kind of works; but it seems a little buggy and slow

Download details: Microsoft Office Outlook Connector

Yeah, I'm the admin for our SBS 2003 as well so for work it will be non-HTML for now. But I was hoping that personal e-mail could be HTML via WLM.

Sad to hear no other clients work. I've been trying out Thunderbird loaded on my U3 enabled thumbdrive. Nice concept, but hated having to pull out the thumdrive to check e-mail. Sticking with Outlook and webmail for now. Sad to hear the Outlook connector is buggy. Hopefully that improves.

Let me know if you get it connected....I'm really curious about the HTML and push abilities. I'm about to dump my Exchange services and use Live Custom Domains.

Quote Originally Posted by TDG01 View Post
    25 mexican restaurants in Washington, PA??? wow....
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. Most of us dont like the cold and I didn't think we made it that far North!
    www.861.info
    www.freedomtofascism.com

Hey tmwes,
    You sound like a guy that I need to talk to. I have a custom domain set up just as you described and it is working great. But, I would like to add an alias to the mailbox. Is there a way to add one like, info, so that it funnels right into my primary mailbox?

I have installed Windows Live Search (same as on my Q) and love this app ... especially the Movie function.

In addition all my pop email accounts are setup to download to my 760 and that works great. What I'm looking for is a solution for my hotmail account. I can use the web based tools but I would like to get my hotmail the same way as my other accounts. I found Windows Live Mobile here New Windows Live Messenger build 10.6.0031.1600 - xda-developers but am not sure if this is what i need.

So my question is what is the best way to get my hotmail?

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerFan View Post
    Hey tmwes,
    You sound like a guy that I need to talk to. I have a custom domain set up just as you described and it is working great. But, I would like to add an alias to the mailbox. Is there a way to add one like, info, so that it funnels right into my primary mailbox?
    Add an alias in your DNS and point it to go.domains.live.com. So in my case I have the following alias mail.geckotek.net go.domains.live.com.

Then you need to login to Windows Live Custom Domains and under custom addresses create an entry matching your alias and point it to hotmail.

Quote Originally Posted by geetarz4me View Post
    I have installed Windows Live Search (same as on my Q) and love this app ... especially the Movie function.

In addition all my pop email accounts are setup to download to my 760 and that works great. What I'm looking for is a solution for my hotmail account. I can use the web based tools but I would like to get my hotmail the same way as my other accounts. I found Windows Live Mobile here New Windows Live Messenger build 10.6.0031.1600 - xda-developers but am not sure if this is what i need.

So my question is what is the best way to get my hotmail?
    Yes, that is exactly what you need to download your Hotmail to your phone.

Edit: Here is the link to the latest version w/ explanations.
    NEW w/ Screenshots: Windows Live Messenger 10.6.32.2100 => 10.6.33.0600 - xda-developers