+ Reply to Thread

Family share plan

Does anyone here know if the family share plans will work with the bundled voice and data plans for PDA's? I know in the past they did not. I was hoping maybe they rectified that situation.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I have a business account ... but it's really a family share account ... 5 lines ... I have unlimited data on two lines ... and no data on the other 3 ... in fact I have everything blocked on the other three so my employees don't spend the day texting and surfing at my expense ... works out great ...
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig View Post
    Does anyone here know if the family share plans will work with the bundled voice and data plans for PDA's? I know in the past they did not. I was hoping maybe they rectified that situation.
    No they are not. I am actually pondering this situation as my wife wants a Q9m with data and I am deciding whether to cancel her line and get her a separate plan or to use the family share plan with data feature added for both of us.

If she decides to get the Voyager when it comes out as opposed to the Q9M we will probably keep the share plan, if not we will probably cancel her line and sign her up for a new plan with voice data and change my plan over to the $79.99 one as well.

Remember that some mentioned in the i760 Release Rumor thread that supposedly VZW is changing their plans on 11/2/07 so you might not want to make any changes for another couple of weeks.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Remember that some mentioned in the i760 Release Rumor thread that supposedly VZW is changing their plans on 11/2/07 so you might not want to make any changes for another couple of weeks.
    That's why we are waiting for the Voyager to compare and also look at the new plans.

i have a family share plan with 3 lines on it, and i just purchased the i760 with the unlimited data to take advantage of the ADD.

i bought it online, but i didn't get any notice about not being able to add unlimited data because of my family share plan. i guess i will keep a close eye on my bill coming up the next couple months.

I called and asked about the Family Share Plans last week, and the CSR told me that while it was not possible online that he could set it up over the phone. Perhaps it wasn't technically a Family Share plan, but the rates he quoted me were in line with Family Share + Data.

ive had a family share plan with 4 lines for 4 years and of those 3 years ive had unlimited data on my line the last 3 years. the rest of my family have non-pda devices. so hasnt been a problem. they just add the 44.95 monthly. i imagine for each device with the data plan you would expect to pay an additional 44.95 per month for each device.
    You poke it, you own it.

Quote Originally Posted by johntchow View Post
    ive had a family share plan with 4 lines for 4 years and of those 3 years ive had unlimited data on my line the last 3 years. the rest of my family have non-pda devices. so hasnt been a problem. they just add the 44.95 monthly. i imagine for each device with the data plan you would expect to pay an additional 44.95 per month for each device.
    that's what i assumed would happen when i bought the phone this afternoon - glad to hear that your experience backs that up

FWIW, my experience is the same as johntchow's. I've got a family share plan with 2 lines. One line is a conventional cell phone without any data service; the other line (mine) is a PDAphone with the $44.95 unlimited data plan. I've had it this way for 2 years now and just renewed when I bought my i760.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Same here...I have 3 lines, two are PDAs with unlimited data. Also, when I added the PDAs and data back in May, I kept the "old" pricing plan for shared minutes, b/c it still worked well for us. In other words, I did not have to update to a newer voice plan when I added the data plans.
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

Here's the deal...

With Family Share you can't get their "packaged" data/voice bundles in their current setup, but you CAN 'add' data as a feature on as many or as few of the lines as you want, with a charge of $44.99 for each line you add it.

The family share is only for minutes used, and NOT for data, data is just a "feature" they add to the phone number, just like text messages.

So if you want a family share, you will lose your combo package, be changed to a minute plan, and then have data added as a feature on whichever lines you want. If you want 3 lines to share, and all being PDA phones, you will have the minute package, and three charges for $44.99/month for data on all three lines (if that is what you want).

Professional Goober
    I'll just toss this in this thread but... When you dial #777... Is that using minutes or data?
    Last edited by mrailing; 10-22-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rahb0sse View Post
    I'll just toss this in this thread but... When you dial #777... Is that using minutes or data?
    Not the best place to ask since this is a discussion about "family share plans" but if you are using data (#777/Broadband Connect/EVDO/1x/'whateveritisthatverizoniscallingit) then you are using data. The only plan that "used to" (it might still) use minutes instead of data is Q2N (Quick2Net --- Search on the full name for more information), but the speed is limited to 14.4kbps, which is slower than normal dialup.

I switched from a voice/data bundle (where the data was only $30 a month) to a family share plan and they grandfathered my $30 a month data into the plan. If I ever remove data or go to a non-data phone on this line I'll lose my $30 a month and have to go back to $44.99 a month.

Not sure if this is a repeatable phenomena or not...

Professional Goober
    Ahh damn... Well, that sucks... I thought #777 was like just using your minutes rather than data =(