+ Reply to Thread

Rats, no cameraless version. Special order?

Anyone know if it is possible to special order a no-camera version of the i760? I am one of those people who works in a place that demands no camera phones. (Please, no debate on this - I need a camera-less phone.)

Quote Originally Posted by Orson View Post
    Anyone know if it is possible to special order a no-camera version of the i760? I am one of those people who works in a place that demands no camera phones. (Please, no debate on this - I need a camera-less phone.)
    I would seriously doubt it. I have heard of no rumours to that affect. If one does come out, I would imagine it would be probably six months away (just guessing here).

Your best bet is to search for camera-less phones that exist today or rumored to be released soon.
    i760 VZW

There are supposedly two versions of the phone (I remember reading about the two model numbers). One may be a camera-less version. However, only one version is currently for sale.
    Managing Director
    HyTek Hosting, LLC
    www.hytekhosting.com

Theres two versions of the phone. Not cameraless tho. One is GSM, one is CDMA. They will never release a camera-less version.

Two things you can try:

1. Sharpie out the lens, and demonstrate to your security/approver that all photos are blacked out.

2. Some phones' imaging units are removable from the mainboard. If the i760 is like this (and as mine is still in Fedex's hands I don't know for sure), you can consider taking the phone apart and removing the physical imager. This will most likely void your warranty if it does work.

Obviously choice 1 is better if it works in your environment.

Quote Originally Posted by slapps1000 View Post
    Theres two versions of the phone. Not cameraless tho. One is GSM, one is CDMA. They will never release a camera-less version.
    There are two VZW SKUs for the SCH-i760 (C=CDMA), which some were speculating meant two versions (camera and no-camera). However, that has not been confirmed. There is no GSM version of the i760 as we know it, though - the SGH-i760 is a completely different form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by buxleyp View Post
    Two things you can try:

1. Sharpie out the lens, and demonstrate to your security/approver that all photos are blacked out.
    Another alternative...one of my co-workers "fixed" his camera lens with a couple of drops of wax from a candle. It actually didn't look half bad.
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

Will converge for food blaise974's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buxleyp View Post
    Two things you can try:

2. Some phones' imaging units are removable from the mainboard. If the i760 is like this (and as mine is still in Fedex's hands I don't know for sure), you can consider taking the phone apart and removing the physical imager. This will most likely void your warranty if it does work.

Obviously choice 1 is better if it works in your environment.

Now those are creative solutions. Unfortunately, it will still look like a camera phone.

I am in the same predicament. I have to go into federal courthouses routinely in my job. The camera means I will have to leave the i760 in the car. This is the biggest reason I am hesitating jumping on board the i760. My general frustrations w/ and distrust of VZW are the second biggest reason. I am up for ne2 but very reluctant to sign a new contract. I am anxiously awaiting the FCC auction of the 700 MHz spectrum and don't want to be "locked in" when it happens. See the following if you have questions about that topic which Mark_A_K brought to my attention: New rules could rock wireless world - USATODAY.com
    Got the i730. Now what?

Well, at worst it's $175 to terminate. Minus the $100 NE2 credit (versus buying without), it's a $75 ETF. That goes down $5/month, too.

That said, it's your money!