+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bluetooth DUN woes

Well I seem to have gotten Bluetooth DUN to work, but you have to goto data connections and choose bluetooth everytime you want to connect. Also, I noticed that if I am online with bluetooth DUN and my IMAP account on my phone checks my mail it appears to kick me off of bluetooth DUN. I have my IMAP account checking mail every 15 minutes.

Any ideas? Other than that I love the i760. Seems to much faster than my i730...

Are you using sarcasmsra's btmodem hack from the i730 forum, or connecting ok without it?
    -s

I had just used the builtin bluetooth in the phone. No need for any hacks that I can think of.

I'll play with this Tuesday when I get mine and see if I get the same results. Does it ever disconnect right after the first IMAP fetch, or is it always the one 15 minutes later?

I suppose to get a built-in BT modem, it's worth having to set the connection mode. Pre-WM5, we had to set the mode using **PATH on i730s before doing USB tethering, but that made sense because the computer needed to know if it had a modem or an ActiveSync partner connecting. I never quite got why we have to enable the BT modem before using it when a computer can't initiate a BT ActiveSync, only the device can.
    -s

I have my email accounts set to check my IMAP email every 15 minutes. If i sign on with bluetooth DUN and the next 15 minutes comes up, it will disconnect my bluetooth DUN connection,..

I had a mot q9m before this for 30 days and that one did bluetooth dun perfect. If i was on dun, it would not check IMAP email.

Oh, you mean you're checking mail every 15 minutes BT or not using an EVDO connection, and when that time comes up, the BT connection drops? That's sorta freaky and something I can't easily try to duplicate. For some reason, the IMAP check doesn't see the open connection as one it can share.

If sarcasm's mod doesn't fix the problem (one person, at least, confirmed the mod works on an i760 even though it was designed for the BT-DUN-less i730) then you should probably post to the hack wish list thread. You can find the hack in the i730 forum: Bluetooth Modem SOLUTION using Microsoft stack.
    -s

You stay connected??

Quote Originally Posted by streamfx View Post
    Well I seem to have gotten Bluetooth DUN to work, ...

Well, you got farther than I did. My attempts dial out and assablish the connection, but disconnect during the 'verifiy username and password' phase. Could you post a real short walk through of what you set up?
    on the bleeding edge

You're being detected as tethering. From what I can guess from other posts, stream uses a Mac. It seems that VZW's anti-tether looks for typical Windows desktop OS behavior during the connection, and a Mac doesn't behave in that incriminating way. Score one for the shiny happy people.
    -s

Ok, can anyone stay connected longer than 15 minutes? I've used both the built-in DUN as well as BTMODEM and though the connection is maintained, I stop recieving bytes. Does seem to be speed dependent though; the faster I go, the sooner I stop recieving bytes.
    on the bleeding edge

I'd like to bring this thread back. I still have the same problem. If I enable Bluetooth DUN and while I'm connected if the Messaging checks my IMAP email like it does on a time schedule it will disconnect my Bluetooth DUN and then I will have to reboot. Any ideas?

It does this because that is the way it's meant to do. Using DUN you are using the devices connection to get access to the internet and the device can only handle one dial up connection to the internet at a time, so you won't be able to have a DUN connection and have your device connecting too. So the device takes priority since it controls the "modem", and it disconnects any connection you have and let's itself dial.

Verizon removed the Internet Connection Sharing part from the device, so you are unable to "share" the connection while the device is still active...

Does this mean that I will not be able to pair the i760 with the nokia n800 like I could with my palm 700P. I've been trying to get this phone to work like my palm 700P but cannot get it to work. I can pair the device, but it seems like I can only get OBEX. I have the Verizon tethering plan.

I have been a user of Sarcasma's BTModem on the i730 and was wondering how to link up with the i760. This thread implies that there is a built in BT DUN, but I cannot figure out how to activate it. I've explored the phone and searched the forum but haven't found anything--it must be so obvious that it is not worth mentioning Could someone please clue me in?

Thanks!

David

Comfortably Converged
    Quote Originally Posted by kitzj0 View Post
    Does this mean that I will not be able to pair the i760 with the nokia n800 like I could with my palm 700P. I've been trying to get this phone to work like my palm 700P but cannot get it to work. I can pair the device, but it seems like I can only get OBEX. I have the Verizon tethering plan.
    I have successfully tethered my i760 to a Nokia 770 which isn't much different. Here are my setup instructions Click here

Sorry for the appalling ignorance, but I cannot figure out how to active BT DUN on my i760. The manual says it is a supported profile, but when I pair with my computer and discover services, it is not listed as service offered by the phone. This and other threads on the forum do imply that people are doing able to select a built-in BT DUN service but I have not been able to figure out how. Do I need Sarcasma's BTModem on the i760 to active BT DUN or is it built in? (I used it successfully on the i730). I'm stuck, could someone please straighten me out.

Das Uber Tech Geek
    I use the BTModem.exe and my Mac does great.

I'm attempting to setup the i760 for bluetooth DUN. I have not been successful. I'm using vista business.

1) On the phone I have gone to data connection and selected use "as themodem through Bluetooth. A bluetooth icon with a little phone appears at the top
    2) On the pc side: the bluetooth modem is listed under phones and modems as "Standard modem over bluetooth link". Under the active column it says "com3".
    3) on the Pc side: I setup a dial up connection to the modem. settings:
    a) number: #777
    b)user id is [my mobile number]@vzw3g
    c) password is vzw
    4) when I attempt to connect:
    a) on the PC side it tries to dial #777 and fails with error 692.
    b)on the i760 side a window comes up and says the status is active.
    eventually that changes to dormant
    5) on the pc side: If I go into the modem properties and query the modem it fails. however, on the i760 a window opens up and say the modem is active.

Any suggestons?

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by virtualdavid View Post
    Sorry for the appalling ignorance, but I cannot figure out how to active BT DUN on my i760. The manual says it is a supported profile, but when I pair with my computer and discover services, it is not listed as service offered by the phone. This and other threads on the forum do imply that people are doing able to select a built-in BT DUN service but I have not been able to figure out how. Do I need Sarcasma's BTModem on the i760 to active BT DUN or is it built in? (I used it successfully on the i730). I'm stuck, could someone please straighten me out.

Error 692 is a VZW authentication denial which is intentionally not allowing you access because you do not have the $15/mo tethering option enabled on your account. I got it too on my Q via both BT DUN and USB until I broke down and put the feature on, and the 692 error went away.

(There are other threads on this forum which offer registry hacks and 34d party options that circumvent this and allow unpaid tethering to work.)
    Last edited by dima; 12-27-2007 at 11:59 AM.

The guys over at xda-developers have got internet connection sharing working. See this thread Internet Sharing over Wifi-Chainfire's WMWifiRouter v0.80 Ooo Pretty (Dec-10-2007) - xda-developers essentially turning your phone into a wifi router.

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC1 View Post
    The guys over at xda-developers have got internet connection sharing working. See this thread Internet Sharing over Wifi-Chainfire's WMWifiRouter v0.80 Ooo Pretty (Dec-10-2007) - xda-developers essentially turning your phone into a wifi router.

Have you actually tried this and made it work on an i760 ? I tried using the various hacks from xda-developers and had little to no luck on mine. A few other threads also discussed this and had similar issues.

--Chris