+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Email Question

Email Question

I'm considering upgrading from my i730 to the new 760. I'm curious how the email portion works. Currently, my i730 has to connect to the Data Network to access my imap server. This takes time. Does the 760 need to do the same or is it more lke the Blackberry where the email just arrives without going out to connect. Is the Q this way too?

It appears to me it is the same with with IMAP support. I tried using VZW Sync but i hate it. Guess ill stick to regular IMAP email

As it's a WM6 device, you can set up the i760 to do push email (ala blackberry) via exchange. The i760 will also still work with pull email (ala pop/imap).

If your company is running Exchange 2003 with push support, you can leverage that. Otherwise, there are independent exchange services. I use mail2web, which is free, to push all my email to my device.

So you use mail2web and then you use IE to check the e-mail? Or do you use the messaging client in the phone?

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    When using Exchange you use the messaging client.

No IE necessary. I forward my emails (from anywhere, including gmail) to mail2web. Mail2web's exchange servers then push the mail (near instantaneously) to my phone. I use the phone's built in email program (pocket outlook) to view email. It's just like push email on blackberries, except on windows mobile devices.

The downside of the free service is if you send mail from your phone's pocket outlook through mail2web, then your email's "from" field is <user>@mail2web.com (regardless of the reply-to setting). If you pay for their service, one of the added benefits is that your emails will now come from <user>@<whatyouwant>

I just set my email up to go to my pop3 account whenever I hit the send/receive button. I get way too many emails a day to have it push. My battery would be dead and my memory would run out!

It was easy to set up if you've ever done it on an outlook or outlook express account on your computer it is almost identical.
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Right now, I'm using my i760 for both my work and home e-mail accounts. My firm has an Exchange 2003 server, which pushes e-mails to my i760. My personal/home e-mail account is a POP3, and I have the i760 set to manually send/receive e-mails from that account; however, I could set it to send/receive from the POP3 account on a timed interval. Hope this helps.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I have several POP3 and IMAP accounts plus a GMAIL (typically via POP3) to follow. Is the built in Outlook up to the task, or should I look at 3rd party email clients? I use MS Outlook at the office only because I'm given no choice.

Thank you,
    pat----

I have MSN as my home email and for work (2 get it from home) I go to https://mail.NAME OF WORK.com that's exchange right? So can I have them both "pushed" to my phone so as soon as I get an email the phone will show it?

mail.companyname.com is probably your companies Exchange server. Do you use Outlook in the office? If so, you probably have Exchange (but hard to say for sure.)

I just finished pointing my personal domain to live.com and downloaded the Windows Live Mobile Client from XDA developers onto my Q. Push is working great!!! So, I believe you can do the same for your MSN e-mail. What's cool is the Live Mobile Client just adds another account to the default messaging app.

Here's the link for Windows Mobile Live Client:
    Windows Live Cab for WM5 - xda-developers
    (3rd post down)

Download the cab, transfer it to your phone, browse to it, open it, and it will install.

Let me know if it sends e-mail in HTML format on the i760.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 10-20-2007 at 07:01 PM.

I won't have it till monday thanks though.. yes we use Outlook.. now that says WM5 it's ok for WM6? HTML is normal email isn't it? What's the other kind?

Normally on Windows Mobile devices e-mail is text only (no graphics.) If you combine WM6 with an Exchange 2007 server, you get full HTML (web style) e-mail.

I'm pretty sure that's fine for WM6. It should be a extract of the Windows Live Client from a WM6 device. I'm sure somewhere in this forum, someone has tried it. You might try searching around.

So does everyone use the mobile Outlook that is built into WM6, or does anyone use any other email clients that they'd recommend?

Thanks,
    pat----

A different email question

On my 730, I had 2 email accounts set up. When replying to a mail, it let me pick a different outgoing mail account. But in WM6/i760, I can find a way to change the outgoing mail account while replying to an email. Anyone knows of a way to do this?

I use 4smartphone.net for an exchange host. They are great. You can get push email, have your calendar, contacts, etc. synced on multiple computers and you device all wirelessly. On top of that 4smartphone is the only company I know of that will allow you to keep the email address you have now (as long as you can forward mail from that account)

1and1.com lets you keep your email address, as well. You need to forward your email to the 1and1 address, then the "reply to" looks like your current address.

Hi there. I was able to set up a pop 3 account, and my office email via outook through the exchange server. Each one is functioning properly. In answer to Hardball- If you are on your pop 3 account- menu, go to (pick other account) and send from there. You should change your signature on both accounts, and see if there is a difference.

I do have a question though. On the i730- on the Start Screen, it differentiated between Outlook mail (office) and my Pop3 mail- alerting me how many of each are unread. With the I760, there is a drop down menu for emails, voice mails, text messages, etc, but not for separate email accounts. Is the only way to see if there are emails for the second account by going to messaging, and changing accounts, and checking there?

I really liked to see it on the Start page- but can't figure out how to have it show.

Thanks in advance,
    Nadine
    Nadine

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psklenar View Post
    So does everyone use the mobile Outlook that is built into WM6, or does anyone use any other email clients that they'd recommend?

Thanks,
    pat----
    Yes we use mobile Outlook

verysleepy, when replying to an email, I don't see the option to change the account anywhere...do u?

and I too am missing being able to see all email accounts on the home screen.