+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

slow as molasses

I was so excited to upgrade to the 760 after having the 730 for 2.5yrs. Been playing with it for the last 6 hours and it feels slow like molasses as compared to the 730. Switching between applications I slow, the OK button on the side responds slow, changing of screen orientation is slow, switching between already downloaded emails is slow. And no, I don't have many apps open at the same time.

I can't even imagine what would happen if I was using remote desktop on it.

Why would Samsung use a slower processor in it than the 730? So far I haven't seen many pros over the 730. Don't like the side keyboard which forces 2 hand operation.

After 2.5yrs was expecting a major upgrade - not downgrade.

I think I'm going to try it for a couple of days and if I still feel the same way, I'm returning it.

Anyone else feels the same way?

Has it been this way from the very start? Do you have a lot of 3rd party app's running on the i760? Have you tried soft reset? Maybe you should try a hard reset?

its been this way from the start. nothing installed yet. samsung/vzw might have a lemon on their hands. rather sad cuz I was really looking forward to an upgrade. feels like going from stable win xp to win vista carppy edition

maybe you need to manage your expectations better...
    I don't notice it being particularly slow compared to other PPC, but I have never used a i730 so can't really comment...there is a bit of delay with landscape switching but not major, programs open and run reasonably fast...
    We have a mac at work with 4 dual core processors and 4 terrabytes of hard disk space...even that has moments of quiet reflection prior to its actions when we do major image processing...

lbusch you don't have a 730, so you are in no position to comment. And if you are happy with am inferior product, you shouldn't expect others to lower their expectations. I'd rather stay with my 730 at this rate. I think this is going down the Trio 700w way and Samsung might have to release an updated version or this will be a dead line.

Quote Originally Posted by jlbusch View Post
    maybe you need to manage your expectations better...
    I don't notice it being particularly slow compared to other PPC, but I have never used a i730 so can't really comment...there is a bit of delay with landscape switching but not major, programs open and run reasonably fast...
    We have a mac at work with 4 dual core processors and 4 terrabytes of hard disk space...even that has moments of quiet reflection prior to its actions when we do major image processing...

There are many factors that could cause a phone to lag and nobody can really help you until we know what programs are running.

Even though the phone is brand new, you still should try a hard reset like jbusch stated as a error could have occurred even during the initial setup.

You really shouldn't complain until you hear others reporting this issue or you are able to try other i760's such as when Verizon gets their kiosks setup.

Lastly, if it is a actual problem for i760's, it might be a issue Samsung will address in a firmware update. When the Motorola Q's first came out, they were dog slow, but Motorola released a firmware update at a later point in time that made a massive boost in performance speeds.

Wow hardball a bit harsh on our friend jlbusch don't ya think?

anyway - I noticed some slowdown on my 760 as well. My 730 was running slow so I'm looking at this as a definite upgrade but not the be all and end all with the year or so wait we had to deal with.

anyway - I went into my settings and manually stopped some running programs and notice a marked difference when I do that. One of my pet peeves with Windows Mobile in general is the lack of ability to close programs so that they stay running in the background. I know there are 3rd party apps for that though. I'm looking forward to seeing how some of them work.

If not, well, this may not be the phone for you. I wouldn't say it's the snappiest thing I've ever used but considering everything else out there, I'm happy so far.

Cheers!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Professional Goober
    It's probably another kid or a hot headed adult that's bitter. He was giving his opinion...

another 2 hrs of use...same opinion. all of of u who think it doesn't suck, do u even have the 760?

there is now way this is a phone one might want to keep for 2yrs. its no 730

Quote Originally Posted by hardball2007 View Post
    another 2 hrs of use...same opinion. all of of u who think it doesn't suck, do u even have the 760?

there is now way this is a phone one might want to keep for 2yrs. its no 730
    Been using the 760 all day. Its blazing fast for me. Everything happens in an instant; start menu, loading apps, whatever. I have not noticed any slowdowns.

I have had mine for almost a month now and I feel the same what when sliding the keyboard open you have to wait a couple seconds for everything to catch up...and all around it just seems slow...also now i have a dark spot on my screen that will not go away..sweet

Why would Samsung use a slower processor in it than the 730?
    Do your research - it's not a slower processor.

I got mine today, I had an i730 and I have all the same programs installed on the i760 that i had on the i730 and this one runs much faster then the i730 and more stable. I do get a little lag when I switch to landscape but that is it. Just my .02.
    In God we trust, all others we virus scan. ~Author Unknown

Health Sciences Consulting perlmane's Avatar
    I moved from the i730 to the i760 and I also have a TyTN II (Tilt). I can tell you that the 760 and the TyTN II are both equal to or better than the i730, but they are both much more reliable. When I move to landscape mode (pull out the keyboard) on both the 760 and the TyTN II, there is a lag (about the same). Taking the i730 into landscape mode happens more quicly, but it is done by a time consuming set of taps, not a simple slide (keyboard cannot be used in landscape on i730).

While I am not sure, I can postulate that the landscape slow-down might be an OS issue since both the TyTN II and the i760 are WM6 and the i730 is WM5.
    Last edited by perlmane; 10-20-2007 at 10:07 PM.
    Samsung Omnia- WM6.1 - VZW
    HTC TyTN II - WM6.1 - on the new at&t - and loving it!
    "Fact veracity is not based on the validity of the source, but on the last thing posted."

I've been using my i760 for about 2 1/2 weeks and haven't noticed much in the way of slowness except for early on when I had a bunch of programs running. This was before I installed PocketPlus, which I use to close, rather than minimize, programs. Personally, I find the i760 to be a bit snappier than the i730. Not light years faster, mind you, but a noticeable improvement nonetheless.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I'm with Jay on this one...I've had it for a few weeks. It is MUCH improved! I love it !!!

-BINNER

A Geek, Of The Female Variety! gigglebyte's Avatar
    I am also with Jay. I have had my i760 for a month and have not had any problem with things being slow. I to have also installed Spd Pocket Plus which as Jay mentioned closes the programs and not just minimize them. I also have MemMaid installed.

Hopes this helps.
    One of the first "40" and am having fun playing with my new PDA phone the Samsung SCH-i760
    Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. Leonardo da Vinci

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    lbusch you don't have a 730, so you are in no position to comment. And if you are happy with am inferior product, you shouldn't expect others to lower their expectations. I'd rather stay with my 730 at this rate. I think this is going down the Trio 700w way and Samsung might have to release an updated version or this will be a dead line.
    easy there tiger, he was only trying to help!

...I've had the i760 for a month and half and it is noticeably faster than the i730. sounds like it might be the Indian, not the arrow...

I don't have mine, yet...

... but I'm surprised by those of you who are reporting lag during the switch to/from landscape mode. Most of the other owners haven't reported this, and Sixftunda's vid certainly certainly doesn't show much lag, though I think his i760 may have been "virgin" (no additional apps) at the time.

Can you view the vid and compare his landscape/portrait switch time with yours?

Health Sciences Consulting perlmane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzanda View Post
    ... but I'm surprised by those of you who are reporting lag during the switch to/from landscape mode. Most of the other owners haven't reported this, and Sixftunda's vid certainly certainly doesn't show much lag, though I think his i760 may have been "virgin" (no additional apps) at the time.

Can you view the vid and compare his landscape/portrait switch time with yours?
    It is there and annoying, but it is not really a problem. You get used to it.
    Samsung Omnia- WM6.1 - VZW
    HTC TyTN II - WM6.1 - on the new at&t - and loving it!
    "Fact veracity is not based on the validity of the source, but on the last thing posted."