+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yahoo Imap Settings

One of my first posts. Looked at FAQs and searched and don't think I saw an answer. I am trying to setup Yahoo email using IMPAP. The phone actually does installs some standard settings from Yahoo.

The result is that I can receive emails, but every time I send, I get a message that my settings are not correct. I am using EVDO only.

In settings I left domain blank and my outgoing settings are smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com. I have tried setting outgoing mail requires authentification and not. So far, I haven't found anything by googling either.

Yahoo Imap Settings

I guess I didn't ask a question in that post.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for the correct settings for successfully sending messages with Yahoo via IMAP?
    Alternatively, am I alone in trying to use Yahoo mail via IMAP?

Did you use the default email set up in messaging? Just type in your yahoo email address and it will do the rest.

However, you must have yahoo mail + (the pay version of Yahoo mail).
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    Did you use the default email set up in messaging? Just type in your yahoo email address and it will do the rest.

However, you must have yahoo mail + (the pay version of Yahoo mail).
    Huh??? I have the free yahoo and it works fine. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Vipermad View Post
    Huh??? I have the free yahoo and it works fine. ??
    can you please post your settings? I can't get it to work either.

I'll have to look.....not near the thing now. I do remember that I just went through the process and entered the info it asked for...and automatically..it worked.

do you have yahoo mail + (have to pay for it) or is this a free acount?

yeah it worked for me and i just have the free yahoo account. pretty sweet. i just let the it configure automatically. pretty much default setting for all settings. i just disabled only download last 3 days worth of emails.
    You poke it, you own it.

could you please do a quick walk through of your exact inputs
    i cannot get this to work

thanks

yahoo imap settings

I know I have the Yahoo+ pay version. I also used the settings that download automatically and I can't get the mail to send.

sends fine for me. just sent a test to my gmail acct. amazing the yahoo imap works flawlessly while gmail has problems.
    You poke it, you own it.

yahoo imap settings

Ta da.

I set up and deleted mine a few times. On the fourth time, I now can now receive and send flawlessly.

Now onto the the battery life thread. I am only getting 4 hours on the slim.

gman

ahhhhhhh what are your settings????!!!!!???!?!?!?!?

I still cant get my free yahoo email to work. How did you do it?

jbh
    For what it's worth, it seems that Yahoo doesn't explicitly offer Yahoo IMAP for any devices other than the Iphone. There's another thread discussing this awhile back, but basically, many of us had it working (with free yahoo accounts) right after getting the phone, and then one day, most people's IMAP stopped working. I emailed yahoo support, and was told that they don't support it (except for iphone) and that they periodically send out some kind of check and presumably kick off any non-iphones from their IMAP server.

I know this is a very non-technical explanation...I don't actually know the mechanics off it. But I think the bottom line is that Yahoo IMAP isn't supposed to work on our phones. The good news is that their mobile website is pretty fast, so I just set it as my homepage, click mail, and I'm happy.

Yahoo! Front Page

Jeff

Yeah, they stopped the IMAP access to Yahoo for me too...I went back to using the POP settings (accessible with Yahoo Mail+, not free Yahoo, last time I checked).

Bummer....IMAP yahoo gave me access to my Yahoo folders....

Wow. Yahoo IMAP was working great for me long before the friggin iPhone appeared up until around the first of Nov. This is NOT a matter of "not supporting" a function, it is active and deliberate expulsion of non-Apple mobile clients as a matter of exclusive mutual corporate interests. Bottom line is, Yahoo free email DOES support IMAP access (intentional recent exclusivity to iPhone notwithstanding), I have a PDA that demonstrably CAN connect to it and utilize it's services, and I have a email account that DID and therefore SHOULD allow access via my PDA if I so choose regardless of carrier or manufacturer.

It seems to me that Yahoo should stop this monitoring and authentication denial for registered users of their service. What would the iPhone have to do with this anyhow? This exclusivity, though common, is unethical and in my view should be illegal.

At any rate, this is not an issue exclusive to the Sammy i760 (a mighty fine PDA). It's just unfortunate that Yahoo chose to make this arrangement with Apple.

Oh, for the present moment, IMAP's working on my Q, both send/receive (I suppose till the de-authenticator kicks me off again) arrrgh
    Last edited by dima; 11-27-2007 at 01:42 PM.

I have my free yahoo account set up on IMAP and I am receiving messages, but when I try to reply to one, I get a screen that says "cannot connect to incoming mail server". Before this screen comes up a screen comes up asking me for my incoming user name, password, and domain name. The user name is already filled in, but when I enter my password, I still get the same error message. I am not putting anything in for domain name, because I don't know what that means or where I can find out what it is. Anyone have sucess in replying to yahoo imap messages? If so, please let me know what I should do to the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisgood_nj1 View Post
    I have my free yahoo account set up on IMAP and I am receiving messages, but when I try to reply to one, I get a screen that says "cannot connect to incoming mail server". Before this screen comes up a screen comes up asking me for my incoming user name, password, and domain name. The user name is already filled in, but when I enter my password, I still get the same error message. I am not putting anything in for domain name, because I don't know what that means or where I can find out what it is. Anyone have sucess in replying to yahoo imap messages? If so, please let me know what I should do to the settings.
    Read one post up----Yahoo only wants this for the iPhone. They will disable the access for non iPhone users....

I just did the auto imap setup for a free yahoo account and it is working fine - sending and receiving.