Closed Thread

Memory leak on i760?

Is anyone else seeing a memory leak issue on their i760? For the second time in a week, my i760 has gotten into a critically low RAM condition (note this is low program memory not storage memory). In each case, the culprit was the shell32.exe process (a Windows Mobile system process) which was consuming 8 to 10 times the amount of RAM it normally consumes (8-10MB versus 1MB which seems to be the norm). So far, only a reset seems to release the memory (e.g. I can't find any processes which, when killed, free up the memory). We are currently hard-resetting the device to see if the memory leak is due to an installed piece of software.

Thanks for any feedback!

mostly converged
    I don't have any tools to check this, but my hunch is that it is related to Voice Command.

I was using a 6700 for a while but couldn't stand the "record-to-train" voice-dialing function. I added VC and began to notice the same sort of memory leak that I'm seeing on my i760.
    Dave
    -------------------------
    i760, 2GB, Jawbone, Motorola HS850

No problems with memory here. The only other software I have installed on the device is Windows Live Search.

I always have in the low to mid 20's available for RAM.

Are you running any 3rd party apps?

mostly converged
    Dorf got me thinking. It may be interplay between VC and spb products. Those are the only TSR-style/load-on-startup apps that are new to my mix.
    Dave
    -------------------------
    i760, 2GB, Jawbone, Motorola HS850

Thanks Veenman. Yes, VC is pretty resource intensive (tends to consume around 2-3MB of RAM). However, its RAM consumption is static/predictable.

Yes, Dorf. We are running just one 3rd party app. We are doing a hard reset now to see if the 3rd party app is the culprit or if a virgin device also exhibits the behavior. Thanks much.

Sorry...Forgot to mention the utility we use for monitoring RAM consumption. A great utility from acbPocketSoft called ACB TaskMan:
    acbPocketSoft

I also have noticed memory leak, I am using S2U2 as my only third party app, I am thinking about uninstalling it and seeing if that is the cause of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
    Thanks Veenman. Yes, VC is pretty resource intensive (tends to consume around 2-3MB of RAM). However, its RAM consumption is static/predictable.

Yes, Dorf. We are running just one 3rd party app. We are doing a hard reset now to see if the 3rd party app is the culprit or if a virgin device also exhibits the behavior. Thanks much.
    Good first step. Most memory leaks are caused by 3rd party programs interacting in unforseen ways.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

I too believe the i760 might suffer from a memory leak and even tested my theory on a virgin i760. My tests are chronicled in this thread: Free Ram size on the I760?.

sleestak, I'm going to close this thread so all discussion of the possible memory leak can occur in one place. This should help us figure out what is causing the problem.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)