+ Reply to Thread

After 1 week of using the device, i would describe it as "inconsistent"..

I've had this phone for a week now, and that is the best word i can use to describe it. I came from a Treo 700w, so i am very familiar with the windows system..

Here are some things i've noticed:

1) Sometimes a new text will "wake up" the device, and turn on the screen. Sometimes it wont!

2) Sometimes after turing off the screen (by hitting power button), it will turn back on when touching the screen or pressing a button..

3) Somtimes the calender refuses to stay where i position it on the today screen. Sometimes it takes itself to the bottom of the items list on the today screen.. wtf?

4) Somtimes the qwerty keyboard cannot keep up with my typing.. I am constantly noticing letters left out, or a space not between 2 words.. And then sometimes it does just fine!

These 4 things absolutely drive me crazy sometimes! But all in all, i really like this device! Anyone else notice these weird things?? Why cant anything work as smoothly as my trusty Treo?!?

what software to do have loaded on it? If you don't close apps, how often do you do a reset?

Craig

I have noticed the keys not keeping up and actually miss the 700w keys, but over all the 760 is great. I am noticing a lot of signal strength fluctuation. it will go from one bar to 0 to 4 while I am standing still.

I hope the first update will fix a lot of the minor inconsistencies.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    I've had this phone for a week now, and that is the best word i can use to describe it. I came from a Treo 700w, so i am very familiar with the windows system..

1) Sometimes a new text will "wake up" the device, and turn on the screen. Sometimes it wont!

2) Sometimes after turing off the screen (by hitting power button), it will turn back on when touching the screen or pressing a button..

3) Somtimes the calender refuses to stay where i position it on the today screen. Sometimes it takes itself to the bottom of the items list on the today screen.. wtf?

4) Somtimes the qwerty keyboard cannot keep up with my typing.. I am constantly noticing letters left out, or a space not between 2 words.. And then sometimes it does just fine!

These 4 things absolutely drive me crazy sometimes! But all in all, i really like this device! Anyone else notice these weird things?? Why cant anything work as smoothly as my trusty Treo?!?
    Don't even tell us that you have a ton of SW installed on it
    and youre complaining that it's the device thats not working.
    Also why did you get rid og your Treo?

only software i have loaded is:
    SMS threaded text & Weather-to-go.

Thats it!

I also notice a lot of signal fluctuation..

Don't even tell us that you have a ton of SW installed on it
    and youre complaining that it's the device thats not working.
    Also why did you get rid og your Treo?
    I did NOT get rid of the treo yet.. I wont get rid of it till i am 100% happy with another device..

FWIW, I don't have an issue with typing on the i760 anymore, but I did notice that if you use a light touch you end up missing characters sometimes. I made my typing more deliberate and since then I don't really have an issue. The Treo caused me more trouble b/c the keyboard was so cramped I ended up mashing 2 or 3 keys when aiming for one.

Both keyboards have their ups and downs but I still like the roominess of the i760's better

Also, the descepancy you are seeing with text messages sometimes waking the phone, or sometimes tapping the screen wakes the phone - I think this might be due to when your screen times out and goes into power save vs. when the phone itself times out and goes into power save. Those are two different timers.

If your screen turns off after 30 secs but you have your device set to power save after 3 minutes, then during the interim between the two, any tap to the screen or button will wake the device.

I have seen where once the phone goes into power save, emails and TXT's don't wake it up - only phone calls.. nevertheless I do hear the alerts sounding off.
    Last edited by Ender519; 11-05-2007 at 11:09 AM.

I also noticed the inconsistance with typing. I have found it to be that i just type to fast for the device and i wind up multi-pressing keys which the device doesn't seem to register. If i slow down my typing and avoid hitting more than one key around the same time i dont have any issues.

I've never had anything you mentioned happen on mine...I even just tested them all out...

Conclusion: Your phone is f--ed

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Quote Originally Posted by The Matt View Post
    I've never had anything you mentioned happen on mine...I even just tested them all out...

Conclusion: Your phone is f--ed

What he said ... but I'd do a hard reset and reload your software one at a time and see if the problems don't go away
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Just noticed this. When you use the power to button to shut the phone off, it appears as if new email notification through the led does not start blinking. You have to physcially turn the phone on and then you get the alert.

I have to say I dont have this problems either....

Don't know about your other problems, but I have definitely noticed the signal fluctuation, even sitting still.

on a normal computer keyboard if you type fast, you are often still holding one key down as you start to press the next key. On the crappy 760 keyboard, with certain keys that are on the same line the second key will get dropped. for example if you are still holding 'a' down, and then press 'f' the 'f' will get dropped every time. if you hold 'a' down and then press 'n' no problem! inconsistant!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post

I think everyone touched upon items 1,2, and 4. As far as your third issue goes; I had a similar issue with a WM2003 device. From memory the issue reolved itself. I had to reset the item in the system screen. After which I did a soft reset. I want to say journal bar caused that for one because I had a devil of a time with that product (the latest version is so far flawless.) but you aren't running it I can only assume that it is an OS glitch that isn't common place in Microsoft products.

I too dont have any of these problems.

signal strength fluctuations

I am also getting signal fluctuations from 0-30-62-82 and anywhere in between
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.
    --Lance Armstrong (1971 - ) U.S. cyclist, 7-time winner of the Tour de France, cancer survivor

this signal issue has been resolved in the past with a radio ROM upgrade. I am sure Samsung will have many fixes in the first release.

Even with my signal jumping, I haven't had any issues making or receiving calls, even with reading just one little bar, I can still place and make calls without much problem, even though the reading is bouncing...

Also I haven't noticed any of your issues with the i760. Mine isn't doing any of those things.