+ Reply to Thread

1 week and a destroyed screen

Left the phone in my pocket with some other metal junk and when I took it out is has several major gashes across the screen. You can actually see the plastic pulled up at the end of the gash.

I was hoping that the new squishy screen might be more scatch resistant, but in my case that does not seem to be holding up.

Short of pulling an Insurance claim, I assume I am SOL and just have to live with my stupidity?

Suggestions appreciated.

ASK

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    It looks like you may have witnessed a lessons learned for all of us.

The only way to find out if VZW will do anything for you is to call and hope for the best.

Sorry to hear about your issue.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by askme233 View Post
    Left the phone in my pocket with some other metal junk and when I took it out is has several major gashes across the screen. You can actually see the plastic pulled up at the end of the gash.

I was hoping that the new squishy screen might be more scatch resistant, but in my case that does not seem to be holding up.

Short of pulling an Insurance claim, I assume I am SOL and just have to live with my stupidity?

Suggestions appreciated.

ASK
    Insurance claim might be your best route. In the mean time post a picture for us! Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Sorry to hear that. I look forward to the day we have a sturdier glass iphone-like screen (may be on the touch as well). Until then, probably need a screen protector. I would prefer not to have one, but I also like to keep my phone in my pocket, so I think it is a necessity.

Suggestions appreciated.

ASK
    When I had the i700 I was using the holster that came with with it (as some remember it faced outward) while traveling in South Carilona (from Arizona). All the time I was driving in the rental car in South Carolina the face of the phone was pressing against the seat belt and the seat belt eventually cracked the screen and made the phone inoperable. I was going to be in South Carolina for over a week and didn't want to do without my phone so I called Verizon, explained my problem and they said because of their "No Worry Guarantee" they would ship me another phone. I receive the phone in 2 day at the address I requested in South Carolina (not my registered home address in Arizona). I could tell the phone was refurbished due the the odd response of one of the buttons but it workd fine for the next year until I got the i730.

By the way I was even more suprised because I don't think I had insurance. I though it was all due to their "No Worry" policy. You may want to give it a shot.
    Last edited by nmjones; 11-05-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Thats why I have a plastic screen cover on top of my screen, and a holster over the phone.

on my second i760 also

Wow, you people kill me. I have had many phones, but none that I have lost to me damaging them... I have had my 760 now since August 15th, and no scratches anywhere yet! And you know what, if I do manage to screw it up, I still have insurance...

Use your head. Any PPC, or phone like this with a "membrane" screen will get destroyed by anything scraping against it. Until we have the HTC "Touch" or "iPhone" like screen with glass, this is how it has always been... and they are always fragile.

This part of the post pretty much sums it up... "Left the phone in my pocket with some other metal junk and when I took it out is has several major gashes across the screen. You can actually see the plastic pulled up at the end of the gash."

Gee.. I think you figured out your issue... now we all get to pay for it.
    Last edited by cybrwulf; 11-06-2007 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrwulf View Post
    Wow, you people kill me. I have had many phones, but none that I have lost to me damaging them... I have had my 760 now since August 15th, and no scratches anywhere yet! And you know what, if I do manage to screw it up, I still have insurance...

Use your head. Any PPC, or phone like this with a "membrane" screen will get destroyed by anything scraping against it. Until we have the HTC "Touch" or "iPhone" like screen with glass, this is how it has always been... and they are always fragile.

This part of the post pretty much sums it up... "Left the phone in my pocket with some other metal junk and when I took it out is has several major gashes across the screen. You can actually see the plastic pulled up at the end of the gash."

Gee.. I think you figured out your issue... now we all get to pay for it.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

unrelated (sort of) but i'll add my story....its short.

was standing out talking to a friend....and a bee or something flying landed on my ear/hand right where I was holding phone....I panicked and instinct was to drop whatever i had and wave hand to shooo.........phone dropped onhood of truck and bounced, landed on gravel....my heart sunk...only to find two small nicks were the only damage...AND it landed screen down. I have no idea how it wasnt wrecked. Phone is sturdy though and a hard drop didn't phase it.

When you have any touch screen phone the first thing you should do is run, not walk, to the nearest phone accessory store and buy a static cling screen protector (not the adhesive kind).

This will give you SOME protection in case you decide to stick your phone into your pocket full of metal shavings and rusty bicycle gears.

Congratulations on "Darwin"ing your phone

Wow, what caring and concerned folks. Thanks for the support on the thread. I think I already owned up to living with stupidity.

Funny, I had one i730 for two years a nary a scratch after living through much worse (e..g 3 year old repeatedly jamming things against the screen).

So much for looking to this group for suggestions.

Unless I am missing something, are you offering to pay for my phone? Otherwise how are you all "paying for it"?

Unless I am missing something, are you offering to pay for my phone? Otherwise how are you all "paying for it"?

Same theory as when retail stores have to deal with shrinkage.. sure they may replace your phone.. but SOMEONE utlimately has to pay for it, and it comes back to all of us in the form of higher prices.

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    I think the replies were kind of rough, as you said you had already owned up to the stupidity part.... Sorry for the treatment here, I hope you can get a new one.

Go easy on the less fortunate folks, people. It'd be a lot more helpful to take it out on your dog or spouse (and save time if they're one and the same) than to attack someone for openly admitting they made a bad decision.

The topic is how to fix it and whether VZW should just replace it, or whether it is likely going to cost an insurance claim. I think this'll cost an insurance claim, but if you do manage to get sympathy from VZW because you were just doing what you always did with your previous phone, then good for them.
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    Go easy on the less fortunate folks, people. It'd be a lot more helpful to take it out on your dog or spouse (and save time if they're one and the same) than to attack someone for openly admitting they made a bad decision.

The topic is how to fix it and whether VZW should just replace it, or whether it is likely going to cost an insurance claim. I think this'll cost an insurance claim, but if you do manage to get sympathy from VZW because you were just doing what you always did with your previous phone, then good for them.
    Hi VZW, I just took a hammer to my device and it broke. I have been doing this in the past with my other devices and I was wondering if you could replace it for me?.....lol

Just kidding Sleeve, I couldn't resist.

I hope he can get a new one......

No worries, just a little sensitive after waiting a year for the phone and then destroying it in a week. I have a thicker skin than that. Caught me cranky and hopped up on caffeine.

I am thinking the insurance claim will come when I actually do some real damage to it (like that should be covered) as it will happen.

Heck, I went for a year with a non-functional digitizer, how bad can this be?

The real pisser is that now I can't really decide to return it before my 30 days are up. I think that might look a little fishy "Hi, I decided I don't like the form factor... oh and I screwed up the screen."

Registered User perfectblueride's Avatar
    I would do it now, since you will get new more than likely wait and refurb for sure!!!!!!!

Is the screen the same softness as the mogul's? Anyone know?