+ Reply to Thread

Magnet Bad For Phone?

This may be a silly question... I don't know. I've purchased a soft case from samsung direct that has a very heavy duty magnet in the flap and I was wondering if this could potentialy harm my phone.

Almost certainly not a problem for you. If you test the range of the magnet with a paper clip, you'll probably find it to be very limited even if it's pretty beefy up close.

One would also assume Samsung wouldn't sell an accessory that would kill their device as well. No way to avoid liability there.

There appears to be a magnetic switch in the phone that is used to detect if the keyboard is out, to switch in to landscape. If the magnet is strong enough, it may cause it to switch.
    Do a search on the forum. Someone mentioned this a while back.
    It is not harmful, but may be annoying.

Yeah, I ended up not buying an HTC case I found in Best Buy because the magnet was so strong it activated the switch in the magnetic slider.
    -s

Turning the unit on I can deal with. Its just SOOO strong. I can get a staple remover to stick to the outside of the case.

I too am uncertain about the risks of a magnet next to the i760.

However, I do know that a magnet is definitely bad for mag-strip data (cards, metro passes), which I routinely have in my possession.

I ended up ditching my Naztech Bravo case and buying a magnet-less bodyglove. The i760 fits the Bodyglove universal mesh very nicely, and I don't have to worry about the screen flipping to landscape every time I pull the phone out.

Well it was scary cutting into a $40 case, but I did it. The stock magnets in this case are CRAZY strong. There are two and they have a strong pull on either side of your hand. I just swapped em out with two ceramic fridge magnets. Works like a charm.