+ Reply to Thread

Spb Phone Suite & Mobile Shell Question

Can someone please help me. I bought SPB Phone Suite & SPB Mobile Shell and I love them but my question is about the tabs. I was able to change some of the tabs on the top to do other things but only stuff that's in my "today Item" list from the drop down menu in the Settings Menue under Add Tab.... I want to add other programs and make tabs so how can I add something to the Today items list? I hope somene can help because I want to make FunContacts a tab and use that as my main contact (it's so fun and much cooler than the one that came w/the phone)

Any Help would be GREAT... I tried searching in here and at SPB but couldn't find anything...

Thanks guys.

The only items that can be made into tabs are today plugins. If fun contact has a today plugin then you should be able to make it a tab. If not then there is no way to make it a tab.

blazingwolf is half correct. On the first tab, you get a list of recently used items. If you select one and tap & hold, you'll have an option to "pin" that item on that tab and it will always be there. So on the Today screen, you'll be limited to pinning that number of items for Mobile Shell. If you want to be able to really pull together your own tabs of applications, then you'll want to look at Pocket Plus, which you can make a Mobile Shell Tab.

However, you do have an "out" with Mobile Shell. Have you configured "My Menu" and added it as a softkey on Today? It gets you nine items or folders of items that you can reach with a single key press without getting "More..." as a softkey in that menu. In addition to my Pocket Plus tabs, my "big 9" for applications are all in My Menu on Mobile Shell.

The way I am reading the question, I agree with blazingwold. I think he wants to add Funcontacts as a plug-in such that he can view some of the program's information directly from the today screen. (Similar to SPB Phone Suite etc). This can only be done if FunContacts is/has a today plugin built in.

If you only want to add a link to Funcontacts then PerfAlbion is correct.

There is a way to change your default contacts program but I can't remember what it is. Use search, it is somewhere on this forum.

I stand appropriately clarified. Thanks for pointing that out, 'cause I obviously was going in a different direction.

If you want access to contacts directly on the Today screen, it must have a plug-in (SPB Diary does, for example).

what I wanted to do is make FunContact my default contacts list and w/the shell I have changed some of the top tabs for example (1) the battery icon which has the recently used items (2) the Clock tab w/the alarms and 3 times (3) Weather Tab, (4) I changed to the TodayScreenIcon which has in it the Wireless sync, contacts, calender, email (this is the one I want to make FunContacts) and (5) I changed it to a big pad lock and have the devise lock.....
    SO what I wanted to do is change #4 to a contact list or something and have the FunContact pop up....

The other powers are correct, Mobile shell won't support this - FunContact is an app, not a Today plug-in. Tabs are only for today plug-ins, so there's no way to associate the application with it.

You can make it a link on the Home tab like PerfAlbion mentioned. Your other option is to have another launcher plugin with 1 item in it. That would be the shortcut for FunContacts.

Conversely, you can also find another contacts program that is a today plugin.

I have another SPB Phone Suite question. I've looked on their WEB site, but am not able to find a User Manual, so I thought I'd try on this forum. Does anyone know if you can use the "Automatic: Time-based" profile to cover 2 (or more) different times? For example, I'm in church on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. I'd love to setup an Auto profile that sets my phone to Vibrate automatically for these 2 different times. I am able to do this for one time slot, but I don't see a way to do this for the second. Specifically, I can choose a time window (ex: 10:00 - 12:00), AND I can select which days of the week I want this Auto profile to take affect (Sunday) -- but I don't see a way to make the time window different for Wednesday (7:00 - 8:00, for example). Am I missing something? Thanks for any guidance.

I don't believe you could do it with the time based profile, but if you're always in church at the same time every Wed. & Sun., setting up a recurring appointment that's marking the time as busy will automatically kick in the "Meeting" profile. I think that's a better way to do what you're looking to do.

I use the time based profile to shut my sound off from 11:00PM-5:00AM.

which is better between the two suite or shell

Not the same type of program so it is really hard to compare.

I'll expand on the last comment:

What are you looking to do? Pocket Plus provides a task manager, button remapping, tabbed PIE browsing, safe mode bootup, etc. Mobile shell is less adventurous and designed for broader features - photo speed dial, weather, frequently used apps, dynamic updates.

Were I to buy only one, it'd be Pocket Plus, but that's me. And I bought both.

FWIW, I was using both of them, along with Spb Weather, Time, Diary, and Phone Suite on my i730. Then, I switched from Weather to Traveler, which is a bit more robust than Weather. With my i760 and the version of Pocket Plus, I've discovered I really don't need Mobile Shell or Time. Instead, I use the Samsung Clock, Pocket Plus, Diary, and Traveler. I've got Traveler and Diary as separate tabs on Pocket Plus, which helps keep my Today screen "clean" and uncluttered. I love the flexibility that Pocket Plus gives you.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I have come to like SPB Time - the multiple simultaneous timers make running a baseball practice easier (reminds me to switch things up).

But with Pocket Plus's ability to "suck-in" the today plug-ins a la Mobile Shell, I can see loosing it.