+ Reply to Thread

Windows Mobile Media Player not playing videos correctly

Hey all, been "watching from afar" for a long time, and now I need some help When I try to play videos from my i760 they aren't smooth at all, very jerky like there isn't enough memory there to fluidly run the avi.

I tried moving the video from my mem card onto main memory and it still did the same thing so I don't think it has anything to do with transfer rates from mem card. I am stuck. Main memory (program) has around 30mb after hard reset but floats around 20mb from normal use. I am baffled, has anyone else experienced this? Let me know whatcha think.

Sil

Did you try TCPMP? WMP kind of sucks.

Depends also on the resolution of the AVI file. In the past I have had issues where my previous WM devices couldn't handle large resolutions on the files and I had to re-encode the files at a 320x240 resolution if I wanted to use WMP. I have since switched to using TCPMP when I want to watch videos that are a bit jerky in WMP, or I still take the time to re-encode the videos.

Also depends what is in the AVI file. AVI is a wrapper, that can contain multiple video and audio codecs. WMP Mobile supports the following:

Audio codecs
    • Microsoft Windows Media Audio codec versions 1.0, 2.0, 7, 8, and 9.
      Although Windows Media Player for Pocket PC supports all the variants of the Windows Media Audio 9 codec (including the Windows Media Audio 9 codec, Windows Media Audio 9 Professional codec, Windows Media Audio 9 Voice codec, and Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless codec), the following variants are only partially supported:
      • Windows Media Audio 9 Professional codec. Multiple channels are combined into a stereo mix during playback. Depending upon the audio playback capabilities of your device, content with an audio sampling rate higher than 48 kilohertz (KHz) might be played as 48 KHz.
      • Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless codec. Depending upon the audio playback capabilities of your device, content with an audio sampling rate higher than 48 kilohertz (KHz) might be played as 48 KHz.
    • MP3
    Video codecs
    • Microsoft Windows Media Video codec versions 7, 8, and 9.
    • Microsoft Windows Media Video 9 Image codec versions 1.0 (used by Microsoft Photo Story 1 and 2) and 2.0 (used by Photo Story 3).
    • Microsoft MPEG-4 codec version 2.0 and 3.0.
    • ISO MPEG-4 video codec version 1.0.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e/faq.aspx#5_2

What are you using to create the videos? With a file that is matched to the ability of a Windows Mobile phone, I honestly don't see much difference between Windows Memory Pig, TCPMP, and Pocket Player. WMP definitely uses more to do the job than really needed, but I got no chop from properly sized videos. Ironically, when I tried a divx with TCPMP, it kept chopping, but I only messed with it for about an hour and didn't want to invest the storage on it when I found a workable compact WMV option from Spb mobile DVD.
    -s

I use mencoder to create DivX AVIs, and those play perfectly in TCPMP, but not at all in WMP.

I've tinkered with WMV, but I have not purchased any software to do it. I would love to find an off-the-shelf tool to do it, but most of what I watch is stuff that is autotranscoded from Windows Media Center via DVRMSToolbox and jelwood's mencoder, and most off-the-shelf tools don't support DVR-MS or the command-line. I created a DivX/MP3 profile that works great, but haven't found WMV settings that plays smoothly.

I used to use PocketDivxEncoder, and that creates files that play perfectly in TCPMP as well. PDE doesn't support DVR-MS files, though.

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    I've tinkered with WMV, but I have not purchased any software to do it. I would love to find an off-the-shelf tool to do it, but most of what I watch is stuff that is autotranscoded from Windows Media Center via DVRMSToolbox and jelwood's mencoder, and most off-the-shelf tools don't support DVR-MS or the command-line. I created a DivX/MP3 profile that works great, but haven't found WMV settings that plays smoothly.
    Encode360 is free, you just need to install WM Encoder before you install it. It's intended to transcode for the Xbox 360, but if you use the Zune profile it should work great for you on your WM device.

I tried it once to convert AVIs to stream to my Xbox, but I never got it working. I'll give it another shot - thanks for the suggestion!