+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-06-2004
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    83

    Full AIM Support via SMS Text Messages

    I know this information is around here, and I'm surprised that in all my past searching and reading here I never found it. I only found it tonight after searching using specific terms I found in a document on the internet.

    http://256.com/gray/docs/sms_aim/im_user_guide.pdf

    I haven't seen it mentioned in the i760 forum yet, so I'm going to post it for those who don't read/search the other forums, such as the i700 forum where a lot of this has already been posted.

    I think this should be added to the FAQ, and maybe I would have found it years ago.

    For those who didn't click the link yet, the codes in the document above allow you to sign on and communicate with AIM using text messages. It's not as nice as having an application, however I tried several including IM+ and Agile and was not happy with them mostly due to decreased battery life and being disconnected when the data connection went dormant.

    To make it easier to remember the codes, I made some new contacts, such as AIM Sign On, with the proper code, 4646, in the mobile number field.

    This should be good enough for me right now, since I don't really IM that much, I just want to be able to IM someone from my phone when needed and stay signed in to get their response.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-25-2007
    Posts
    524
    Thanks for the tip, I don't like AIM+ or any of the other third party applications, so this will be great for when I want to save battery life.

    When I am plugged in or have decent battery life left, I just use the official AIM Mobile version....they stopped releasing it for free in the states, but I remember when I was looking for one for my i730, I stumbled across the UK version download and it worked beautifully, I'll see if I can find it again.

    Here it is AOL.co.uk: AOL Instant Messenger - AIM for Windows CE

    Official AIM Mobile app for free....wonder why they would charge in the states and not in the UK
    Last edited by Indie; 11-06-2007 at 03:45 AM.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-05-2007
    Posts
    36
    This can be used on the i760, I presume even though the site doesn't mention WM6 support?

    I installed a program called Palringo yesterday. Used it on and off since then and it's not bad at all! Contacts aren't separated into their groups like on regular AIM but I can still send and receive messages.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-31-2007
    Posts
    77
    aim uk works pretty fast. i just installed yesterday. but i was wondering if the only way to disconnect was by disconnecting the internet. i cant find a sign off button or anything.any one know the solution?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-05-2007
    Posts
    36
    I installed it quickly right now. I can't find the sign out button. I logged on with my computer and that booted me off on my i760.

    Seems to have a lot of stuff left out. No preferences menu? Leaves a lot to be desired.

    Definitely could use an upgrade for Windows Mobile. Looking up someone's profile leaves it in a one-line box that's close to impossible to scroll through.

    Think I might stick to my parlingo.

    Has anybody bought the US version of AIM mobile? If so, how is it working out?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-25-2007
    Posts
    524
    The only way I have discovered to close AIM without disconnecting to the net is to close the program from the memory list in settings or through a third party app that essentially does the same thing just moving it to your today screen.

    I wouldn't imagine the US version to be any better, it is still fairly close to the UK version as far as version numbers go, so I wouldn't expect any major updates. True, it could use a major update, but it's suffice for simple messaging on the go.

    I didn't mean to divert the topic from AIM SMS to basic AIM programs, but I think it was worth mentioning so people know what their options are when it comes to AIM.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-20-2007
    Posts
    50
    I need to bring this thread back from the dead. I just installed the aim uk version, but I can't figure out how to setup a new user. The aim home screen pops up, and I click on the top right arrow that says <new user> but when I tap it it just hides itself again. So I don't know where to set it up. Can anyone help me out? Thanks
    Last edited by zerog6; 12-26-2007 at 10:32 AM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2007
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post
    I need to bring this thread back from the dead. I just installed the aim uk version, but I can't figure out how to setup a new user. The aim home screen pops up, and I click on the top left arrow that says <new user> but when I tap it it just hides itself again. So I don't know where to set it up. Can anyone help me out? Thanks
    I haven't seen this program yet but I think I can handle this one. Go to AIM.com and create an account there. Then use that to log in. Here is a direct link. https://reg.my.screenname.aol.com/_c...7wxPgAAA%3D%3D

    The <new user> just means you haven't logged into any AIM accounts on that program.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-20-2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by zfly99 View Post
    I haven't seen this program yet but I think I can handle this one. Go to AIM.com and create an account there. Then use that to log in. Here is a direct link. https://reg.my.screenname.aol.com/_c...7wxPgAAA%3D%3D

    The <new user> just means you haven't logged into any AIM accounts on that program.
    I'm sorry I wrote what i'm asking wrong. I didn't mean to actually setup a brand new account to use aim. I meant to say I can't find out how to add my current screen name to log in through the program.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-21-2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post
    I'm sorry I wrote what i'm asking wrong. I didn't mean to actually setup a brand new account to use aim. I meant to say I can't find out how to add my current screen name to log in through the program.
    After you install AIM, try sending yourself a message. Once you put in something and hit send you will be prompted to enter your AIM ID and password. It worked for me. I hope it works for you.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-20-2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by tward800 View Post
    After you install AIM, try sending yourself a message. Once you put in something and hit send you will be prompted to enter your AIM ID and password. It worked for me. I hope it works for you.
    Great thanks I got it to work that way. But now after messing around with it I find that's it's really not very useable. Even though I don't like the way palringo works either it's still more robust than that aim client. Thanks anyway
    Last edited by zerog6; 12-30-2007 at 10:02 PM.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-21-2007
    Posts
    29
    so do these applications affect your text messaging count????

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-11-2007
    Posts
    10
    if you dontlike going through sms fo aim, or if u dislike agile an im+ like I did because of disconnect. check out mundu im. im using it nowwith no problems. and does not disconnect. I haven't noticed a major hit in battery life either. it dosent seem to have a today screen option but mine is set to a sound and flashes the led for me.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-20-2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by VitalMind View Post
    if you dontlike going through sms fo aim, or if u dislike agile an im+ like I did because of disconnect. check out mundu im. im using it nowwith no problems. and does not disconnect. I haven't noticed a major hit in battery life either. it dosent seem to have a today screen option but mine is set to a sound and flashes the led for me.
    I would try mundu but I don't want to pay for an im client, I don't really need it that much.

    I like how palringo has the message notification on the home screen, but the random disconnecting is really annoying. And after a while it tells you that you have to wait a while to log in because you've been disconnected too many times.
    Last edited by zerog6; 12-30-2007 at 10:08 PM.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-11-2007
    Posts
    10
    You can do a trial and then extend that trial once to see if you like it. its only 11 bucks. so i guess if it comes down to working and not, id say toss the 11 bucks in and be happy but hey if you can find something else for free i say go for it.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-20-2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by VitalMind View Post
    You can do a trial and then extend that trial once to see if you like it. its only 11 bucks. so i guess if it comes down to working and not, id say toss the 11 bucks in and be happy but hey if you can find something else for free i say go for it.
    Yeah that's what i've been doing so far. I don't know what all the hype is about im+, I tried it out, and imo it's by far the worst program between mundu and agile. I think i'm gonna go ahead and dish out the $11 for mundu. I like agile a bit better because of the home screen features, but there's no way i'm spending $40 on it.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-18-2007
    Posts
    125
    I have been using Palringo for a couple of days now, but boy does it disconnect a ton. What is that all about?

  18. #18
    Registered User? vaxick's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-29-2006
    Posts
    371
    I used to use those SMS AIM codes way back in the day before cell phones had color screens. Damn, that makes me feel old and I'm only 23.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-18-2007
    Posts
    125
    What IM program does everyone else use?

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-11-2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post
    Yeah that's what i've been doing so far. I don't know what all the hype is about im+, I tried it out, and imo it's by far the worst program between mundu and agile. I think i'm gonna go ahead and dish out the $11 for mundu. I like agile a bit better because of the home screen features, but there's no way i'm spending $40 on it.

    agile was ok on my q. im+ I was not impressed with one bit. mundu got my attention because I manage a food kiosk right infront of a lowes store. during my lunch rushes, sometimes a few hours I can't touch my phone. not once have i come back to find it disconnected or having reconnected. s if u went with it how has it been for you?
    Last edited by VitalMind; 01-04-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts