+ Reply to Thread

What happens when device is put to sleep (press the top power button)

Hello,
    What all happens when I press the top power button on the i760? Is it just that the screen turns off? Are there other power saving actions taken (eg turn off data connection)? Is there anything performed that isn't necessarily power saving in nature?

I am asking this because like many people, I don't like having to hit the power button on the top of the device. I liked how on the Q I once had, with the device locked, you could hit any key and the screen would light up for you to quickly check the time, date, and any missed calls etc. To do this with the i760, you have to hit the power button to turn it on and hit it again to turn it off.

I know it's not a huge inconvenience.

If we know what the power button does, then maybe we can have a program that locks the device and performs these same functions while keeping the device responsive to all of the buttons.

Thanks

Pressing the power button shuts down the screen. Data functions remain active. You can lock the device using the * key. Then if you want to check the time just press the power button. You can then put the device away and it will shut down based on the power saving options you have selected. Like 30 seconds or so. That should pretty much emulate what you experienced on the Q. Funny thing is, I hated that about the q. There was no way to turn if off.

Good tip!

^^, I was thinking about doing something along these lines. However, I looked at S2U2 and it had an option to turn off the LCD upon locking the device and I was just checking to see if that was equivalent to hitting the power button or if there was anythign else involved.

I also figured for those people that don't like the position of the power button, they could look into using an app to lock the device and turn off the LCD while allowing different buttons to be recognized besides only the power button.

GM1
    Any apps you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    Pressing the power button shuts down the screen. Data functions remain active. You can lock the device using the * key. Then if you want to check the time just press the power button. You can then put the device away and it will shut down based on the power saving options you have selected. Like 30 seconds or so. That should pretty much emulate what you experienced on the Q. Funny thing is, I hated that about the q. There was no way to turn if off.
    I've been trying this, but the problem is that you have to hit the power button and then touch the screen to unlock, which is a PITA. Hopefully Bruce will update ScreenGuard for WM6 soon...

^^, I dont know of any apps that do this but I haven't really looked into it much either.
    It seems like S2U2 should do it. It has the options to turn off the LCD after some set time period. There is also an option of whether to suspend the device or only turn off the LCD after that time period. I thought that having the LCD turn off after 5 seconds with the option to only turn off the LCD and not susped the device would do the trick; however it doesnt' appear to work. I tried to get it to just turn off the LCD and not suspend the device thinking the device would then still respond to keys besides the power button but alas the device only responded to the power button.

^, I agree about being a PITA which is another reason I am investigating this. I will have to look into ScreenGuard some more...

So I tried out AEButtonPlus's ability to turn off the display. Once again, the screen was able to be turned off with a button but once off no response from the device except with the top power button.

I am wondering if with our device it is automatic that when the screen is turned off that the only button still recognized is the power button. Or if it is the way these programs are built that these commands do more than merely turn off the display.