+ Reply to Thread

Hard reset vs. taking out battery?

Can someone explain the difference between a hard reset and just popping the battery out, then putting it back in? This morning my i760 froze for the first time (just got it a few days ago). I really didn't want to do a hard reset, because I don't have anything backed up, so I didn't want to lose everything. So I just took the battery out so it turned off, waited a few seconds, then put it back in and turned it on. Everything works fine, and I didn't lose anything. So if it freezes again, what's the advantage of doing a hard reset and clearing my data? Or is taking the battery out going to hurt my phone?

Thanks in adavance

Did you try a soft reset?

I think taking out the battery is mroe equivalent to a soft reset than a hard reset.

Most of the time, when the device freezes, a soft reset will work.

Hmm, gotcha. I did not try a soft reset. I just looked it up, and i guess I wasn't really sure what it was. I'll do that next time.
    Last edited by Stromboy84; 11-06-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Well, there really is an easier way to reset your phone - simply use your stylus and push the RED button under the left softkey on the keyboard. This will simply do a SOFT reset and retain all of your saved data on the device.

Many times, people will tweak/load/change their device so much that they will see memory loss, battery loss or other substantial problems with some of the programs they have loaded on their device. This is usually the time to do a HARD reset. It will clear ALL memory and basically put it back to FACTORY settings.

Be sure to look in the FAQ for answers like this. A lot of people have spent a LOT of time getting the simple answers compiled for newbies. Good luck!

FAQ: FAQ - Samsung SCH-i760 - Pre-Release Version

Will a hard reset wipe out data stored on an external storage card as well as cleaning out the internal memory?

thanks,
    pat----

No, external card is not touched.

dj_808,

Thank you!

pat----