+ Reply to Thread

A Public Service Announcement about calling 911 w/ a hands free system

PSA:

Should you find yourself in the situation I was in last night I please learn from my mistake. I have a handsfree system installed in my car. Just before 7 pm I was rear ended rather hard. The impact was fast and hard. I was nearly stopped when it occurred. In pain and confusion I sat in the car for a few minutes. After exiting the car and observing the damage was too severe to drive (bumper was pressed solid do the back wheel) I step to the side of the road and attempted to call 911. I was very lost as to why the call was connected but I couldn't hear anything. It turns out I had not turned the car off and was not sufficient distance from the car to disconnect the hands free device. Several attempts were made to call 911 including a attempted return call from 911 all of which resulted in me hearing nothing. When I finally realized it I had to venture back into traffic and leaking radiator fluid (from the other car) to turn off my car.

So learn from me: In a traumatic event either turn the car off or kill your hands free device or step far away from the car to disconnect your hands free device.

Estimated speed of impact: 25-35mph
    Non-fault rear ended at a stop light FYI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Public Service Announcement about calling 911 w/ a hands free system-img_4929-medium-.jpg   A Public Service Announcement about calling 911 w/ a hands free system-img_4930-medium-.jpg  
    Last edited by tange1; 11-06-2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Bummer Andrew, hope you're well and the repairs go smoothly.
    -s

Thanks sleeve. I'm sore today but I think thats expected. I'll have to wait a few days to see if I have anything permanent.
    Thanks

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    I had a similar, less direct, experience where I tried to call 911 after witnessing a pretty nasty accident one car ahead of me. I couldn't figure out why I couldnt hear anything and then I heard a little voice...coming from my bluetooth ear piece laying in my center console tray.
    BT headsets are nice for normal time but if you dont always wear them, as I dont, they can be a little less convenient. I like to leave it off until I have to call or a call comes in to then put on the headset. I guess it's just something to get used to so it becomes second nature in stressful times.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

That sucks man, sorry to hear about your accident.

Now I'll remember when I do have BT set up. Usually I'm too lazy to charge my headset so I'll just use speakerphone

Awww, C'mom folks, I saw Harry Blackstone pull that trick on the old Dean Martin Show with 2 goats and a hankerchief

Hope youre ok and feel better. You couldve just clicked menu>turn off handsfree rather than walking anywhere near your car. Lesson learned = know your phone and car before leaving your driveway.

Tange1... glad to know you are OK! Thanks for the tip.
    CurtisZZZ

Quote Originally Posted by slapps1000 View Post
    Hope youre ok and feel better. You couldve just clicked menu>turn off handsfree rather than walking anywhere near your car. Lesson learned = know your phone and car before leaving your driveway.
    W/ adrenaline pumping and in pain I wasn't thinking about any details other than calling for help. Hopefully other people think of this if they have an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
    Awww, C'mom folks, I saw Harry Blackstone pull that trick on the old Dean Martin Show with 2 goats and a hankerchief
    What does that even mean? Maybe I'm too young to understand this?
    Last edited by tange1; 11-07-2007 at 09:00 AM.
    Thanks

Glad you are ok Andrew, and I am sure the soreness will eventually go away. Good tip on the bluetooth being on...

That has happened with me (not an emergancy call THANK GOD) but trying to make or get a call and finding out it's going to the car, there is a button on your phone to hit "disconect Bluetooth" or something like that and it goes right back to your headset on the phone so you don't have to go back to your car... I think it's on the options button when you are on a call just select it

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    Hope you're feeling better quickly!

Glad to see you are ok.

Was the person who hit you blabbing on their cell when it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Glad to see you are ok.

Was the person who hit you blabbing on their cell when it happened?
    They were using VZ Navigator to get around (they were from texas, I'm in PA). They droped the phone and went to reach for it. Needless to say when they looked up it was too late.
    Thanks

The car is a total loss...I also just bought a house last month...this is going to be trouble.
    Thanks