+ Reply to Thread
    Holly

Push from OUtlook

My company uses "Good". They support the Blackjack. They say they don't support this. My IT is clueless but they gave me a URL, user name and password. I tried installing it and it freezes up on me.

Is this a hopeless cause? Or maybe I just don't have a strong enough signal?

The "user guide" on our Extranet says it is Good version 4.0.

Can anyone help? Sorry if this sounds cryptic. I'm not a techie. I think they have exchange server 2007. I don't know really what the good.com site has to do w/it.

I read on another forum that someone "hacked" and got Good 4.9 to work but that they need Good 5.0.

Trying to decide if I should hold onto the phone until my company gets Good 5.0 (assuming that poster knew what they were talking about.) This is the phone I really wanted. I've been wanting to replace (don't laugh....) my Hitachi G1000 for forever and finally made a decision. The good thing is that web browsing on Verizon's network is 1000 times better than browsing on Sprint's network. So, until they support my phone I can check it using webmail...I'll trial it from home tonight and on a business trip tomorrow. Is there any reason to expect that it will be a long time before my company supports this phone?

Holly
    Last edited by holly; 11-06-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Holly
    I got this message from them:

Thank you for contacting Motorola Good Technology Support and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I understand that you want to know whether the Good Mobile Messaging supports Samsung i760.

The Samsung i760 is not supported by the Good Mobile Messaging Server and
    currently there is no time frame for its support.

So, I guess I sign up for their newsletter and wait. Or change phones.

Anyone have additional insight?

Holly

Holly
    Here is their release for the Samsung 730....were they pretty well timed w/ their support? Or late? Maybe this will be an indicator of timing for the 760?

---------------

Good Technology Broadens Handheld Choice for Mobile Enterprises with Support for the Samsung SCH-i730
    Business Users Enhance Productivity With GoodLink on the Powerful Verizon Wireless EVDO Network for Faster Access to Email, Attachments and Corporate Data

Santa Clara—August 16, 2005—Delivering on its vision to provide industry standards-based wireless messaging and corporate application access across an extensive choice of handhelds, Good Technology, the leading provider of industry standards-based wireless handheld computing software and service, today announced that its GoodLink wireless messaging solution is available to customers on Samsung's i730.

Personally, I'd prefer to be trampled by stampeding wildebeast than install Good on my device, but that was because their support for the i730 was so abysmal until the third or fourth release. But if it's a corporate standard, you'll obviously have difficulty getting them to shake anything loose to allow direct connections. If it's critical to get your data on that device using the i760, you'll have to wait for them to add support. For the i730 that took about 7-8 months, if I recall correctly.

Switch to ActiveSync exchange Server

My company also uses GoodLink and couldn't get it to install properly on my i760 after switching from the i730. Fortunately, i was able to convince them to let me connect directly to the Exchange Server 2003. That was easier setup than the Good software and has worked flawlessly. It is also free of the subscription Good requires so it saves the company money. I was the first, but others using WM devices will be switched over from Good now as well since it is working well for me.

if you can swing it I highly recommend the direct connection option. especially with 2007 Exchange. they actually have HTML email support built in. I went through this with my IT about 2 years ago. anyone on WM is set up directly and then they went a bought a RIM server for the execs...complete waste of time if you ask me, but anyway.

I know that they server is easily configurable, just ask.

Some companies will support multiple sync paltforms, some won't. It depends.

Good provides outstanding enterprise tools. If a company's IT looks at the device strictly as a company device and they want complete control over what happens on the device, then the Good platform helps them acheive that.

Conversely, if a company looks at it more like it's the individual's device and not the company's, but wants to allow sync and have some tools, like remote wipe and policies for passwords, then Activesync provides that, and is a more transparent paltform.

Thank you all, esp. Holly. I'm in exactly the same boat. Hard to believe that Verizon and Samsung continue to have Goodlink/WM issues in late November 2007. If anyone has updates, I know many of us would really appreciate them. For what it's worth, I contacted Verizon Tech Support yesterday, and they said they're close to a fix, but have no date yet.

Being fair, VZW and Samsung have literally zero involvement with Good software on their devices to my knowledge. Good is a stand-alone application developer who is responsible for developing their own code. Why on earth that code can't rely on "standard" APIs and needs to be tweaked for (what seems like) every single new phone on the market is completely beyond me.

Good was the first true "open" alternative to Blackberry...In fact the guys who started Good came from Blackberry...hence the years of litigation between them...

Recently they were purchased by Motorola...I don't think that bodes well for Good, but time will tell....