+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Annoying Clock Question

Just picked up the i760 and i want the clock to work like a normal cell phone.. In the sence that if i fly to another city when i turn on the phone it automaticaly updates the clock for the time zone im in. I cant seem to figure out how to do it!!

Why would you want that over the multiple city customizations?

because im a pilot and dont have time to figure out what time zone im in all the time, because i go from time zone to time zone.. its alot easier to just have my phone automaticaly show me what the correct time is instead of me having to look it up.

By default my phone was already setup to do just that. Go into the phone dialer, click menu and then options. Under 'Services' click on 'Networks" then "Change Setting". You should notice a Time Setting in there for 'Auto' or 'Manual'.

is there a way to link that clock to the normal display clock on the today screen.. it seems like mine is set up according to the clock setting under the settings panel for either "home" or "visiting"

Quote Originally Posted by louderjw View Post
    By default my phone was already setup to do just that. Go into the phone dialer, click menu and then options. Under 'Services' click on 'Networks" then "Change Setting". You should notice a Time Setting in there for 'Auto' or 'Manual'.
    Good tip. I would also prefer to have the phone change time zones automatically like an ordinary cell phone.

EDIT: I just checked (forgot I had seen this before). Mine is already on Auto, but this does not change the time zone automatically. It sets the time from the tower, but that time is displayed in whatever time zone you have manually set.
    Last edited by JDCJ; 11-06-2007 at 06:03 PM.

yea.. thats what im thinking.. because the only clock i have available to see on my today screen is my "home" clock.. and right now i am not at home.. so the clock on my today screen is wrong for the current time zone/location im currently at... hope that made sence..

you can adjust the Today screen to show your home and visiting clock at once, each with a different time zone, although this will require you to change time zones manually as well. These options can be accessed through the context menu of the clock on the today screen.

Also some further input on why carriers do not change time on a PDA smart phone is because all of your appointment and task settings do not change accordingly with what the time is set as. For instance, if you set an appoint for 8 am from your home area and then travel to where it is 10 am, if your carrier were to automatically change the time, your device would assume the appointment has already taken place.

Furthermore, have you checked out the world clock program offered by Samsung, it should be included with the device and found in the program list. I haven't messed with it since the i830, but if it's similar it should display up to 3 clocks, include a major city list, as well as have a world map displaying the different time zones.
    Last edited by Indie; 11-07-2007 at 01:37 AM.

yea.. i have seen those. Thanks for the help and very good ideas reguards to the calander etc... but there has to be some way for it to auto change.. I cant count the amount of times i have been in a different airport for an hour or so and really didnt know if i changed time zones.. was almost late for a couple of flights, which is not good if your the one flying the plane... really bad.. soo thats really a feature that i miss, just being able to turn on the phone and have the satelites update my clock for what ever time zone im in.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerith View Post
    yea.. i have seen those. Thanks for the help and very good ideas reguards to the calander etc... but there has to be some way for it to auto change.. I cant count the amount of times i have been in a different airport for an hour or so and really didnt know if i changed time zones.. was almost late for a couple of flights, which is not good if your the one flying the plane... really bad.. soo thats really a feature that i miss, just being able to turn on the phone and have the satelites update my clock for what ever time zone im in.
    There isnt. This is a decision made by either Verizon, Microsoft or Samsung. My treo 700wx had a setting specifically for this. The samsung stays on your home time zone no matter what. A moderator suggested this is done so that your appointments dont get all messed up when you travel to another city. I find it piss poor that they dont give you that option.

Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    There isnt. This is a decision made by either Verizon, Microsoft or Samsung. My treo 700wx had a setting specifically for this. The samsung stays on your home time zone no matter what. A moderator suggested this is done so that your appointments dont get all messed up when you travel to another city. I find it piss poor that they dont give you that option.
    I am that moderator. This is by design by Microsoft. I have discussed the reasons behind this many times over but in short...

Microsoft doesn't let the WM OS change times automatically because it doesn't know how to handle time zones for appointments and alarms. If you live on the east coast and setup an appointment for 2 PM on a day you are going to be traveling to the west coast, was that appointment made for 2 PM EST or 2 PM PST? As of right now, the OS doesn't understand time zones per appointment, BUT they are working on slowly implementing it, and I was hoping they would include a Time Zone on the appointment tab. Outlook 2007 now includes this option to setup appointments based upon which time zone you are in and I "think" it moves to the i760 correctly.

Now since this won't update or happen any time soon, your best bet is to use a world clock program (which one just happens to be built in to the i760, check out World Clock in the Programs list), and just open a program like that to see the time, and possibly switch your time zone to "visiting time" and the correct zone.

You also need to make sure your appointments are ALWAYS in the correct time zone, so if you want to meet at Noon PST, then you need to setup the appointment to read 3 PM EST on your calendar, so when you switch the time zone, it will show up as Noon.

If this doesn't make sense or you need more information, search in the i730 forum for "Time Zone Change" and you should find a rather lengthy explanation of this that I wrote up in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    I suggested that, but I'm no moderator

OK, I haven't tried this, but I believe this might work. I don't have time to test because I leave for Vegas in 2 hours, but here are the instructions per hackaddict.net: Tutorial: iPhone Windows Mobile Skin

# Open PHM Registry Editor
    # Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\Phone Setting
    # Change the "ShowTimeZone" value from 0 to 1
    # Now navigate to Settings\Phone\Time Zones tab. Check the "Automatic change time zone and clock." box. Your phone will now automatically set the time for you.

Since I am travelling, I will test this, but be unable to let anyone know until Wednesday.

Of course, I get into the registry and find that there is no folder for this key. Since I am a relatively new registry editor, I don't want to find this out the "hard reset" way. Maybe this could spark some other interesting discussion by someone more experienced?

Kyle

I noticed the same issue as the OP and would like the same option too. I understand why the setting is set as it is, but would like the option to update from the local time.

Just curious what happens when you are in a fringe city and get signals from different towers in different time zones?

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    I am that moderator. This is by design by Microsoft. I have discussed the reasons behind this many times over but in short...

Microsoft doesn't let the WM OS change times automatically because it doesn't know how to handle time zones for appointments and alarms. If you live on the east coast and setup an appointment for 2 PM on a day you are going to be traveling to the west coast, was that appointment made for 2 PM EST or 2 PM PST? As of right now, the OS doesn't understand time zones per appointment, BUT they are working on slowly implementing it, and I was hoping they would include a Time Zone on the appointment tab. Outlook 2007 now includes this option to setup appointments based upon which time zone you are in and I "think" it moves to the i760 correctly.

Now since this won't update or happen any time soon, your best bet is to use a world clock program (which one just happens to be built in to the i760, check out World Clock in the Programs list), and just open a program like that to see the time, and possibly switch your time zone to "visiting time" and the correct zone.

You also need to make sure your appointments are ALWAYS in the correct time zone, so if you want to meet at Noon PST, then you need to setup the appointment to read 3 PM EST on your calendar, so when you switch the time zone, it will show up as Noon.

If this doesn't make sense or you need more information, search in the i730 forum for "Time Zone Change" and you should find a rather lengthy explanation of this that I wrote up in the past.
    Something quite peculiar is going on so I am going to outline it here in the hopes that someone smarter than me can figure out what is going on. Personal experience with the i760 and i730 over the past 3 years has confirmed the facts in this posting from MRailing. Over the past 6 weeks I have spent 4 weeks on and off in California (my home base is NJ). Never on any of those trips has my i760 changed times autmatically from EST to PST. That is until today.

I am a long time Pocket Informant user and have been working over the past few days with the newest version release. One of the functions that I couldn't get to work was the TimeZone view which allows you to input an appointment in another time zone. Based on a suggestion on the Pocket Informant forum, it was suggested that I try changing the Timezone on the device and then change it back.

Once I did that, I was able to access the Timezone function on PI. However, since I did that I can no longer keep the device on home time (EST). It is apparently picking up the network time from the carrier. I followed another post on this thread which said "By default my phone was already setup to do just that. Go into the phone dialer, click menu and then options. Under 'Services' click on 'Networks" then "Change Setting". You should notice a Time Setting in there for 'Auto' or 'Manual'." Both of my settings were set on Auto which I believe is why my phone was picking up the carrier time.

Anyone have any idea how this happened? It is quite a mystery to me. Since all my appointments have shifted in a very bizarre way, I need to get my device back on EST. I assume I can do this if I change the options in the Network settings to manual and go back to my home time in the clock settings.

Of course the goal in all of this lengthy post is that by using PI's Timezone option, I will be able to travel into another timezone, change to Visiting Time and have all my appointments for that period of time be correct.

Clock mysteriously changing time zones

A colleague with an i760 is having a weird problem with his clock. He and I live in Pacific Time, but his clock keeps setting itself to Mountain Time. He can reset it back, but after a few hours it jumps again.

Any ideas?

This thread seemed the most relevant based on my searches, but if I should be looking in (or starting) another thread please advise.

Thanks!

David

virtualdavid aka David, that sound interesting. Has your friend synced the phone?
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

He syncs via lotus traveller, and reports that the clock does not update with the sync. He has not been able to identify anything specific that makes the time zone shift to mountain time.

Any ideas?

David

Hmmm, I am thinking it's a software glitch. How long has he had the phone? If he can backup his data/contacts maybe a hard reset unless VZN can just give him another phone. But lets see what others here come up with as somebody might of had the same problem. Thanks, JASTECH
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester