+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Delayed Ring

Delayed Ring

People have started telling me that I take too long to answer the phone or they get my vmail more often. I've also noticed that the phone will light up and the Answer/Incoming Call box will pop up and it takes another few seconds before I can answer the phone. Regular it will ring once and then show 'missed call' before I can even get it out of the holster or from my pocket. This will happen if the phone is in standby or awake.

It seems like the the issue is at the phone. Any comments?
    www.861.info
    www.freedomtofascism.com

I actually noticed this too. Anyone know how to fix this issue??

Are you using a custom (or large mp3) file for a ringtone? I noticed the larger the file, the longer it took to start ringing. I didn't thoroughly test this, but noticed it when calling from my house phone.

dj... you're right. i just checked on my phone. when i used a custom ringtone, it took 4-5 rings on the caller's end before i would start to hear my ringtone and be able to answer it. if i used one of the stock ringtones, my phone would ring and be answerable after 1-2 rings. but it didn't matter the size of the mp3 file. just that it wasn't a stock ringtone.

that kinda sucks. if anyone knows how to fix this if possible, please share! thanks!

i use the standard ringtone, and frequently only get 2-3 rings before vm. Its not very nice. I hope it has nothing to do with my SPB Phone apps

I've noticed this too. My ring tones are all <170kb mp3s, and they start ringing 1-2 seconds after the phone lights up. This, combined with the weird fade-in of ring tones, results in 4 seconds passing by before I realize someone's calling.

These same ring tones ring near instantly (and at full volume) on a Dash running WM6 and my old e815, so most likely it's a phone problem.

Im glad im not the only one with the "weird fade-in" of ringtones. This bugs the crap outta me.

Quote Originally Posted by botond View Post
    Im glad im not the only one with the "weird fade-in" of ringtones. This bugs the crap outta me.
    Yep, add me to the list. Didn't have this issue with my Treo.

As a lurker contemplating switching from a Treo to the i760 this is very disturbing to hear. Afterall, for most folks the device is a phone first, and as such needs to provide a reliable indicator of incoming calls. Do I hear correctly that if the stock packaged ringtones are used that this is not as much (or any at all) of a problem? I love my custom mp3 ringtones; I'd hate to have to give them up on this device.

What you could do is use AUDACITY. start the clip about 2 seconds BEFORE the part of the MP3 u really want to ring aloud. So when the "weird fade in" occurs it is actually silent. Make the clip anywhere from 30 to 40 seconds. Apply a fade in effect to the first 2 seconds and u have the perfect ringtone. This WILL effect how long your phone rings.. slightly. I have noticed some shorter rings will stop. others might restart. The Long ones (about 45sec) always play out. This WILL NOT stop the phone being quiet at first notice of incoming call. Just a small workaround to getting to hear ur ringers how u want them.

I'm not sure if this applies to you. But I do notice that my custom ringtones I place on my memory card. And the memory card ringtones are the ones which have the super long delay before ringing, etc.

I did notice that if I put my custom ringtone on the phone's My Ringtones folder (instead of the memory card), then it acts like the stock ringtones.

Has anyone else noticed this??

If so, are there different types of memory cards which can access data faster for the i760 (or PDA's in general)?
    Last edited by DazednConfuzed; 11-07-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Most memory cards have a speed rating. This can vary from card to card. The only way to find out is to look on the packaging/product description (detailed specs) and by browsing around on various hardware review websites.

Hopefully this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by botond View Post
    Ironically, if you use a custom ring tone and set it to ring as "Increasing ring", then it reverses the behavior.

I have mine set to vibrate and then ring. On the second ring, it begins to vibrate and play the chimes as it announces caller. Didn't seem any different from my previous treo 700w.

I have the same problem with my i760. Using the same exact ring tone as I did on my i730. Also noticed that the same thing happens when on Vibrate. When on Vibrate the issue is compounded that my phone will not vibrate for text messages at all. Probably has to do with the delay ring/vibrate. Can anyone else confirm that their phone does not vibrate for text messages received?
    Managing Director
    HyTek Hosting, LLC
    www.hytekhosting.com

The phones misses maybe one ring but thats it for me also. I notice that when you answer a call you have to wait about 4 second to talk or they cant hear you. I find myself saying "Hello, Hello" because they dont hear the first one...

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdmd View Post
    I have mine set to vibrate and then ring. On the second ring, it begins to vibrate and play the chimes as it announces caller. Didn't seem any different from my previous treo 700w.
    This seems to have corrected my issue to some extent. I might try to add my songs to my Ringtones folder as well.

The phones misses maybe one ring but thats it for me also. I notice that when you answer a call you have to wait about 4 second to talk or they cant hear you. I find myself saying "Hello, Hello" because they dont hear the first one...
    I have noticed this also...strange?!

Seems there are more than one discussion happening here, delayed ringing, and increasing ring tones...

How many of you with issues are trying to run your ringtones off the memory card and NOT main memory. This is a known issue with almost any PDA Phone device. The PDA Phone puts the memory card to sleep when it goes in to low power mode. Since this happens it can take a second for the device to wake up, then wake up the SD card, then start playing your file.

Make sure you place ANY and ALL ring tones you want on the Main Memory. Make sure those ring tones are as small as possible (edit them to make them smaller with something like audacity). This should help.

The next issue is increasing ring tones, and I think Samsung got this backwards where the ringtone increases when it's set to play regular and plays regular when set to increase...

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Seems there are more than one discussion happening here, delayed ringing, and increasing ring tones...

How many of you with issues are trying to run your ringtones off the memory card and NOT main memory. This is a known issue with almost any PDA Phone device. The PDA Phone puts the memory card to sleep when it goes in to low power mode. Since this happens it can take a second for the device to wake up, then wake up the SD card, then start playing your file.

Make sure you place ANY and ALL ring tones you want on the Main Memory. Make sure those ring tones are as small as possible (edit them to make them smaller with something like audacity). This should help.

The next issue is increasing ring tones, and I think Samsung got this backwards where the ringtone increases when it's set to play regular and plays regular when set to increase...
    I have the issue and no storage card whatsoever.
    Managing Director
    HyTek Hosting, LLC
    www.hytekhosting.com

There is something seriously wrong with the ringing of these phones!! I did a hard restart and went back to default settings...with the screen/phone on I get 3 1/2 rings before I hear it on the Samsung. I then got about 1 1/2 rings where I could hear before going to vm.

I called tech support and they had me do another hard restart. This is when the fun started. I couldn't get any rings whether on or in sleep mode until after 5 1/2 rings!!! Needless to say I get a quick ring and then to VM. Then I could not change the background color to green and my alarms would not work. I was finally told that my device was defective.

Well after exchanging my phone and leaving this completely "stock" or out of box I am having the same issues. I'm beginning to think a network problem now, but still unsure how my original phone went on the fritz.

Anyway if they ringing part can't be resolved I guess I'll have to trade for something else. I'm really beginning to like the phone, however if I can't answer the phone and keep missing calls it's just not worth it, IMO.

I guess I'll just have to wake up tomorrow and see if things have changed. It's the network, well they better get it fixed.

I mentioned to the tech that you must be getting complaints. He placed me on hold and said that he checked his coworkers and they haven't heard of any troubles. I find that hard to believe condsidering the posts in here.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm not a happy Verizon customer at the moment..
    Last edited by cts-vroom!; 11-09-2007 at 08:08 PM.