+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PST Menu and Slot Cycle Index changes

Hey there,

I searched and couldn't find a post relevent to the i760.

How can I access the PST menu that many phones have (does this have it?) and also, the reason for this request, how do I change the slot cycle index to decrease the delay for the ringer on my end.

Wondering the same thing....

jv

I see dumb people...
    So ##778 doesn't work on the i760?

nope. Neither does ##3328873

I see dumb people...
    ugh, more and more reasons discouraging me from this phone...

I contacted Verizonwireless technical support approximately 24 hours ago. I have yet to receive any replies.

This is all the known dial codes for the i760, although many do nothing. Is the code you want the last one in the list for the service menu?

Dial Codes

mrailing,
    No, the last one is for "Service MODE", which I have no idea what the purpose is, but most likely something technicians need. It doesn't allow you to do anything once you enter it, unless I am missing something.

I received an email from VerizonWireless regarding my issue, and they basically said it went beyond the scope of their support, and to contact Samsung.

I did so this morning, and after being on hold for 15 minutes, the girl came back and told me it was a network related setting, and that my network should be able to help me. She had no knowledge on the subject availible to her.

So, round two with Verizon now. But it looks like we've entered an endless loop already.

Unfortunately though, it doesn't even seem like there's even a service code that provides an interactive menu.
    You lock it up..

After trying again, I've realized that the menu in mrailings post actually is interactive. This menu can provide you with access to the Slot Cycle Index value which is a number that determines how often your phone polls the tower for an incoming phone call. A detailed description is given at cellink which explains the following in their FAQs:

On the CDMA Paging Channel (this is the shared channel that all phones listen to for incoming calls and other control info), time is divided into "slots". To conserve power, phones that are currently idle only "wake up" and listen for messages on the Paging Channel during their assigned slots. The slot cycle index determines how often the phone's slot comes around. If the slot cycle index is 0, the phone wakes up every 1.28 seconds. If it's one, it wakes up every 2.56 seconds. If it's two, it's every 5.12 seconds, and so on. The larger the setting, the more power is conserved, but the longer it takes to page the phone for an incoming call. You can imagine that if it were set to 10.24 seconds, few callers would hang on the line long enough for you to answer your phone.

There are two settings that govern this. One is the "preferred slot cycle index" in the phone, and can be set via service programming. The other is the "maximum slot cycle index" set in the base station and broadcast in overhead messages on the Paging Channel. The phone has to use whichever number is smaller.
    This will most likely speed up the delayed ring we have been experiencing, featured in this post.

Here's what to do to change the Slot Cycle Index.

1. Dial "**772"
    2. Enter the Service Code "000000" (six 0's) and tap OK
    3. Push the directional pad down until you see a screen that says:
    SVC Mode NAM1
    End of BASIC NAM
    EXIT
    4. Push the directional pad right so that "Exit" bacomes "More"
    5. Press the action button (middle of directional pad) to enter the additional settings menu.
    6. Press down 75 times (a lot of menu's!) to get to the Slot Cycle Index page.
    7. The default is set to 2. To decrease the amount of time it takes before calls reach your phone, set this value to 0 or 1 by simply pressing that button on your numeric keypad. Then press the action button twice to exit and save your changes

Remember, this could have an adverse reaction to your battery life, as you are doubling (SCI 1) or quadrupling (SCI 0) the number of times the phone polls the tower.

Please report your results after a day or two of testing so that we can figure out which SCI value is optimal.
    You lock it up..

I have set it to 1. I'll report back after the weekend.

Thanks a lot for the info!

I have also set it to 1, and will do the same.
    You lock it up..

Awesome... I did some testing.

When set to the default of 2, and called from my house, the i760 used to take 3 rings before it would even light up.

Now with it set to 0 it lights up by the end of the first ring.

FWIW, the SCI on my old i730 is 1.

Much faster ringing response, totally tolerable set to 1.

I'm adding this to the FAQ. Another nice one fronc, thanks!
    -s

Funny story,

Someone from Verizon called me on my mobile phone today. He said he was following up my inquiry on how to access the Slot Cycle Index value; he explained that he is not allowed to release information on the topic, but that a certain web site, "PDAPhoneHome.com" has forums that might be of use (hint hint).

I told him thank you, but that I was actually the topic creator, and figured it out with some help from the others at the site. After a laugh, I told him, "see you on the forums" and bid him farewell.

Nice that the guy went that far to help me though. Another reason why I'll never leave Verizon.
    You lock it up..

Cool Technology Geek
    Anyone able to determine battery life impact yet?

I changed mine to 1 on Saturday shortly after the post. I have not noticed any major effects on battery life yet.

No battery impact so far. Set to 1 since the post.

Gotta love that the Verizon guy Googled slot cycle index and found us. That deserves a frame.
    -s

how to change hybrid to cdma only

When I enter the information code #4357* i see that under technology "hybrid selected." Any idea how I can set this to "cdma only?" I couldn't find it using ##772. I use to do something like this with my xv6700 when I wanted to turn off evdo.

hal

[QUOTE=fronc;681001]After trying again, I've realized that the menu in mrailings post actually is interactive. This menu can provide you with access to the Slot Cycle Index value which is a number that determines how often your phone polls the tower for an incoming phone call. A detailed description is given at cellink which explains the following in their FAQs:

This will most likely speed up the delayed ring we have been experiencing, featured in this post.

Here's what to do to change the Slot Cycle Index.

1. Dial "**772"
    2. Enter the Service Code "000000" (six 0's) and tap OK
    3. Push the directional pad down until you see a screen that says:

4. Push the directional pad right so that "Exit" bacomes "More"
    5. Press the action button (middle of directional pad) to enter the additional settings menu.
    6. Press down 75 times (a lot of menu's!) to get to the Slot Cycle Index page.
    /QUOTE]

After entering the additional settings menu you can skip alot of the menus if press enter when you see the first "enter or *".

hal

Well 2 full days with the Slot Cycle Index set to 0, and no noticable difference in battery life. And that's on the standard battery.