+ Reply to Thread

With POP GMAIL, HOW to set up a different "reply to" address?

Okay, so I am really hoping someone can help me here. I think it is a real problem and there has to be a solution. I have a corporate email address but I use a Gmail account as a POP account. My corporatation forwards all of my corporate emails to my POP Gmail account. When someone emails me, and I want to reply on my phone, my REPLY EMAIL ADDRESS is from GMAIL!!! Of course this come across as unprofessional in itself if you want the email to be your corporate email address, but the bigger issue is when the person then responds to that email!!!! Now, since the Gmail account is only used as my POP account, I NEVER SEE THE RESPONSES !!!!! (unless I log on gmail which I never do manually). Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to make it so when you are using POP Gmail, and you respond to an email on your phone, it comes from your corporate account (or at least when they respond it goes to your corporate email address?)....HELP!!!!

I don't know that you'll get this thing solved with the forwarding in place. You might make it work by having GMail go and download your mail directly and changing it's settings for replies (check GMail's settings to do this). But if you can "reach in" and get your mail that way, then you should be able to do it directly from the PDA and skip the confusion.

What type of e-mail system is this at work? And why can't you access it directly?

Thanks PerfAlbion. You are always there to help! Anyway, I DID change Gmail's setting for replies, which only works if I am logged into GMail and respond directly from the Gmail account (really cool feature actually. If someone replies to a gmail email from me, the reply goes to whatever email I put in the Gmail account settings). However, if someone responds to an email that comes from my gmail account from my phone, their email doesn't populate the "reply to" with the "reply to" address I put in the GMAIL settings. Not sure exactly why but is probably some server issue? You probably know better than I. To answer your other question, I use at work Mircrosoft Outlook Web Access. My IT department tells me they only can hook up with the Blackberry server, not the server used for Treo and Window devices. Based on this info, do you have another suggestion for me? THANKS!

Actually the reply to issue makes sense, though you might see if someone has an answer for you on Google's forums.

But since OWA and OMA use exactly the same ports and settings, I think your IT department needs a nap.

Seriously, the difference between OWA and OMA is (quite literally) just throwing a switch setting to enable OMA. One of the tests that you do when trouble-shooting OMA is seeing whether or not the phone will find OWA on its browser. It's no less or more secure than OWA. In fact, if you tried configuring your Outlook e-mail using the OWA server information? It may just work...

Thanks PerfAlbion. I have not tried this. Could you just point me in the right direction to get me started to configure my Outlook Email (do you mean on my phone or on my computer)? And where do I get the OWA server info from? Sorry if these questions are dumb...a little new at this but learning fast.

It's on the PDA. Pump in the server name you'd use to access OWA from a browser and follow the prompts to enter your user name password, etc.