+ Reply to Thread

Smile Just got my i760--WOW! I couldn't find the thread to post this in

This is my first convergence device. After reading the CNET review, I was afraid it would be a little bulky. Far from it. This is absolutely diminutive compared to what I was carrying on my Batman Utility Belt with Axim X-5 and LG9800. I found a little velour sack lying around that exactly fits "Junior" as I am calling it.
    No need to put it on my belt at all. Nice easy fit in my front pants pocket.
    Little bit of a learning curve to find where everything is on this little thing. I love it! Followed mrailings & other's suggestions and did soft reset while phone was booting up after soft reset. Think I lost Wireless Sync in doing this--or maybe it wasn't on there in the first place. I think I am going to be very, very happy with this device. Just need email client.

Yeah, "Bulky" is not at all how I would describe the i760. WTF are they comparing it to? It HAS to be the slimmest/smallest footprint for a WM phone. I know we all use CNET as a reference but sometimes they are WAY off the mark.

Can you lead me to the post that explains why to do a soft reset during a soft reset... I searched couldn't find it

I don't understand the cnet review....it's as if it lost 3 points for being too big, when it's fairly small compared to similar devices, and for not having access to vcast or windows live...one of which you can download and the other of which no one even cares for.

It's quite sad when the customer reviews are more accurate, because most of the time they are over or under exaggerated, but such is not the case with this horribly done cnet review for the i760

It is definitely bigger (thicker) than I was expecting when we first started hearing about the phone. I was expecting razr/dash/blackjack thin, or closer. As we got closer to release and more people handled and described it, I realized those initial hopes and descriptions were a little off. It's still not that big, and as thin as anything else with a full sliding keyboard and touch screen. I just think the earliest claims of thinness were a little overhyped. Or maybe just that a year later when VZW finally got around to releasing it, there were also other similar devices of equal size around (6800/Mogul, Tilt).

Agree that the CNET review was a little lame, especially on the VCast criticism. However the Windows Live Services should have been included (Not Live Search which you can download from MS). Yes you can install a version of Live Services hacked out of another phone, but that is not exactly a great solution for the average customer. And there have been reports of problems with some versions of that.
    Last edited by JDCJ; 11-07-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    This is my first convergence device. After reading the CNET review, I was afraid it would be a little bulky. Far from it. This is absolutely diminutive compared to what I was carrying on my Batman Utility Belt with Axim X-5 and LG9800. I found a little velour sack lying around that exactly fits "Junior" as I am calling it.
    No need to put it on my belt at all. Nice easy fit in my front pants pocket.
    Little bit of a learning curve to find where everything is on this little thing. I love it! Followed mrailings & other's suggestions and did soft reset while phone was booting up after soft reset. Think I lost Wireless Sync in doing this--or maybe it wasn't on there in the first place. I think I am going to be very, very happy with this device. Just need email client.
    Be careful about putting it in your pocket. Read this:

1 week and a destroyed screen

Quote Originally Posted by cstradling24 View Post
    Can you lead me to the post that explains why to do a soft reset during a soft reset... I searched couldn't find it
    Sorry--my bad proofreading. It was soft reset after the hard reset while phone is booting up. It was mentioned that doing this would prevent carrier's crapware from being loaded. Couldn't find it on a search either. Come to think of it, it may have been in the ATT TyTn / Kaiser thread. I almost bought one of those (shudder). Glad I stayed with VZW for this phone. Some have said it is already outdated, fits the bill perfectly for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by nmjones View Post
    Be careful about putting it in your pocket. Read this:

1 week and a destroyed screen
    Yeah, definitely needs to be in a slip case or pouch so coins & keys don't contact the screen. The little velour sack I found seems to be protecting it nicely so far. I will try the belt case when it gets here. If I don't like it I will try a slip case. But there's another thread for cases, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Sorry--my bad proofreading. It was soft reset after the hard reset while phone is booting up. It was mentioned that doing this would prevent carrier's crapware from being loaded. Couldn't find it on a search either. Come to think of it, it may have been in the ATT TyTn / Kaiser thread. I almost bought one of those (shudder). Glad I stayed with VZW for this phone. Some have said it is already outdated, fits the bill perfectly for me though.
    There isn't any crapware that gets installed on the i760 during a hard reset... No need to do the soft reset after a hard reset trick, the i760 just doesn't do it...