+ Reply to Thread
    dtm

Send/End and keyboard slider issues now that owners have some experience....

I realize there are other threads on these topics, but I'm trying to combine two basic mechanical function complaints I've seen into a single thread due to their commonality.

The only worries I have before taking the i760 plunge are the early complaints that people were errantly hitting the Send and End keys because of the unusual placement on the side of the phone, hanginig up on people they were talking to or errantly dialing numbers. Has this been a recurring problem that is not going away, or have users adjusted or found a fix so it doesn't happen?

Similarly, some complained early on that the keyboard slider opened when they pushed the send key, unless they had a finger on the top half of the phone on the opposite side to provide resistence and keep it from opening. Still a problem for experienced owners?

Appreciate any feedback. I saw some said that the slider opening was a problem until they adjusted their finger placement and grew accustomed to keeping a finger opposite the slider for resistence, but it seens a bit counterintuitive to me, and more than a little design-unfriendly, if a simple device like a PDA phone requires you to hold it in a certain way to make the basic mechanical functions work properly. I don't mind adjusting a little to get a great phone, but these issues sound like they would bother me in daily usage.

Thanks in advance

I've had some issues with hanging up on people b/c of the placement of the End Key, but I've just learned to not put my thumb there like I normally would.

As for the Send Key, I rarely use it. If I am placing a call, I use the center of the D-Pad to "Send" the call. Therefore, the slider opening up isn't a problem for me either.
    Go Fightins'!!!!

I had a few issues early on. But now I have none. You adjust.

After more than a couple of weeks with the phone, I still don't like the send and end keys. It's not really a big deal to me, but they are very accessible. On the other hand, I don't generally hit them accidently, even while typing on the full keyboard. I also get the slight slider opening when I press the send key before thinking about it, but again a pretty minor annoyance. Still love the phone.

Like the poster above, I have found I am now more often calling using other buttons, speed dial, and voice command (I have really enjoyed VC much more than I ever thought I would - very handy when all of your contacts are there and no programming required!).

If you take care to hold the phone looser than if you were trying to squeeze juice from it, you should have very little trouble with the button placement. Generally holding it more toward the bottom tends to help.

I don't have big thumbs, so I don't have much trouble typing y, u, and i on the keyboard and avoiding the send button.
    -s

i personally haven't had any problems with the send/end keys. they are a bit awkward but I've become used to it.

I have more of a problem "ignoring" an incoming call because i reach into my pocket and hit the screen by mistake more than hanging up by accident.

-R

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I hung up on someone today for the first time in 3 weeks.
    You can bet that it will be that last time.

I'm a fast learner. These issue you have brought up are non issues.
    I would be more worried about the BT issue and if you can live with that one.

Yeah - I woudn't stress too much about it. Every phone has its quirks and, although I've hung up on a few folks more than a few times, I think I've found a solution.

The end of the stylus sticks out a bit and I've found that that is a pretty good anchor for my thumb instead of closer to the end button.

Basically, we're all humans and we adapt pretty easily. You will too. I know a lot of thought and time goes into ergonomic design, and I would guess that many would wish for alternative placement for these buttons but I've seen much, much worse.

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Yes, at first I would partially open the slider, but after a couple of weeks I got used to it. No complaints now.

i remapped the green and red buttons with AE Button plus so that they require a double tap to function and have no function with a single tap. this prevents accidental hangups and activations but does require that I double tap...works pretty well.
    I was haviong an occasional press of the green button when typeing on the top row of the keyboard but now its all good.
    I hardly use the send/end keys anyway as I either press the on screen button and use the keypad on front to dial contacts quickly with out looking them up.

dtm

You've all convinced me, but not the way you were intending

I appreciate all the feedback on these mechanical issues. The fact, however, that nearly every one of you who responded told me that it caused you problems, but you 'found ways to get around it' by moving your hands, reprogramming the send/end keys, tilting the device while you type on the keyboard, etc., etc. tells me that this is a significantly flawed design. Why should you have to adapt in such ways?

I know this opinion will rub many of you passionate users the wrong way, but when you have to adapt such basic things as how to hold a device, where to place your fingers to 'avoid' a mistaken key press, etc., you are dealing with a flawed design. Period. I understand that PDA phones are complex devices and there are always tradeoffs to get all the features you want, but at its core, the phone functions are the most basic elements of this device, and when one is forced to 'hold the device a certain way' or with a 'certain grip pressure' or must reprogram the most basic of keys (send/end) to avoid accidental presses, IMO you are letting the manufacturer off the hook for a bad design that is forcing YOU to adapt instead of forcing THEM to design a smart device. Even if you are in the camp taht says the PDA functions are the more important on this device, the location of the send/end keys disrupts the use of PDA functions by accidental dialing presses while you are using PDA functions.

The bluetooth issue that Mark pointed out is the seal-the-deal issue for me. I love the look of this phone, and on its face, it is the perfect combo of qwerty keyborad, num keys on the front, and full WM6 Pro software, but the hardware design kills all the benefits.

I'll likely wait for the SMT 5800 and live with WM6 standard or consider adapting to screen dialing on the upcoming 6800. Pains me to do so, but I wish all i760 users well.
    DTM

I haven't had any problem with this. I could see how it would be easy to accidentally hit the end key on a call, but I have not taken any special action to avoid it and it hasn't happened.

I have never hit either key while working on the keyboard.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by dtm View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback on these mechanical issues. The fact, however, that nearly every one of you who responded told me that it caused you problems, but you 'found ways to get around it' by moving your hands, reprogramming the send/end keys, tilting the device while you type on the keyboard, etc., etc. tells me that this is a significantly flawed design. Why should you have to adapt in such ways?

I know this opinion will rub many of you passionate users the wrong way, but when you have to adapt such basic things as how to hold a device, where to place your fingers to 'avoid' a mistaken key press, etc., you are dealing with a flawed design. Period. I understand that PDA phones are complex devices and there are always tradeoffs to get all the features you want, but at its core, the phone functions are the most basic elements of this device, and when one is forced to 'hold the device a certain way' or with a 'certain grip pressure' or must reprogram the most basic of keys (send/end) to avoid accidental presses, IMO you are letting the manufacturer off the hook for a bad design that is forcing YOU to adapt instead of forcing THEM to design a smart device. Even if you are in the camp taht says the PDA functions are the more important on this device, the location of the send/end keys disrupts the use of PDA functions by accidental dialing presses while you are using PDA functions.

The bluetooth issue that Mark pointed out is the seal-the-deal issue for me. I love the look of this phone, and on its face, it is the perfect combo of qwerty keyborad, num keys on the front, and full WM6 Pro software, but the hardware design kills all the benefits.

I'll likely wait for the SMT 5800 and live with WM6 standard or consider adapting to screen dialing on the upcoming 6800. Pains me to do so, but I wish all i760 users well.
    I have hung up on one person while having it. With the i730, I hung up on probably 80 people over the two years I have had it. Just different locations, they take getting used to...

I would bump the i730 buttons all the time with my chin, and of course when putting it in or out of the OEM holster, and after changing the ways I did things, it limited that happening. But for only doing it once in the whole time I have had the i760, I wouldn't say it's something easy to do, but it can happen...

Every device has little quarks about the design and each one you have to train yourself a little different to handle them and manipulate yourself to the device, and the i760 is no different, as was the i730...