+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Voice Mail commands trigger speed dial after power save mode (BUG?)

Have had this problem a couple of times, but I have only now realized what is going on. I have the phone checked to go into Power Save mode after voice call is connected for 5 seconds.

If I have a voicemail and call in, the screen locks and goes black after 5 seconds as it is supposed to (or 10/30/60 sec., wherever you have set it). When I press "7" on the numeric keypad to delete the voice mail, the phone calls my speed dial contact set for #7 and it starts ringing. (Apparently it also deletes the voicemail as it is no longer there when I call back in to VM.) Same problem happens when I press "9" to save a message, calls my #9 speed dial contact.

This only happens when calling into voice mail. It does not happen with calls to any other number. It also only happens after the phone goes into power save mode. If the screen is still on, or if I have power save mode off, or set to Dimming Only, it works as it should, with no random call to my speed dial contacts.

Something else I have noticed, when I call voicemail, the keypad stays up on screen even after the call is connected. With calls to any other number, the keypad is minimized automatically unless I press "Keypad"/left soft key. I think this may be related.

I realize I could just turn Power Save mode off, but I prefer not to have to worry about bumping the screen while in call, etc. I have wasted a lot of minutes with numerous calls to voice mail trying to figure out the specific contours of this problem, so any help would be appreciated. Searching didn't reveal any other reports of this problem, but I would be surprised if it is just my phone.

this may be a stupid question....but are you holding the number, or just tapping it?

Just tapping it. Try it.

I have my phone set to immediately go into powersave mode once a call connects and I haven't had any problems with voicemail

Just poking fun, but why haven't all you geeks with a $400 phone gone to a BT headset?

Touching the button and saying who you want to call sure beats digging it out of a pocket/purse/pouch/holster to push buttons. And other people think it's really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    I have my phone set to immediately go into powersave mode once a call connects and I haven't had any problems with voicemail
    Do you have any contacts set to the speed dial numbers that you would use while in voicemail? That is the specific problem. I made 30 calls testing this yesterday.

It would be pretty easy for someone else to test.
    --Set Power save mode -> 5 sec. (there is no "immediate" or 0 sec. option)
    --Save Speed dial contacts to 7 and 9 (commonly used VM buttons)
    --Call VM (hold 1 or dial *86) (I have a p followed by my password for my VM #. Don't want to give this up, but I'll try it out too)
    --After screen shuts off, press a key mapped to a speed dial contact (7 or 9)
    --Report whether your phone called the speed dial number.

Just checked, same problem if you enter your password manually, IF you wait until after the screen has blanked to enter it. If you press a button (such as to enter your password) before the screen blanks, power save mode is disabled and the screen will stay on for the normal amount of time you have set.

This is going to drive me crazy.

I tried this and I can't get it to repeat what you have happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    Do you have any contacts set to the speed dial numbers that you would use while in voicemail? That is the specific problem. I made 30 calls testing this yesterday.

It would be pretty easy for someone else to test.
    --Set Power save mode -> 5 sec. (there is no "immediate" or 0 sec. option)
    --Save Speed dial contacts to 7 and 9 (commonly used VM buttons)
    --Call VM (hold 1 or dial *86) (I have a p followed by my password for my VM #. Don't want to give this up, but I'll try it out too)
    --After screen shuts off, press a key mapped to a speed dial contact (7 or 9)
    --Report whether your phone called the speed dial number.
    Yes, I have over 30 contacts set to speed dial....I do exactly what you described every day, without the problems you describe.

Thanks for trying guys. I really can't understand, and I have tried everything I can think of. May have to try hard reset, then swap units, unless anyone else has any ideas.

Well, after a hard reset, I can no longer reproduce the problem. I would still like to know what was going on. Oh well. Only 3d party program I had installed was Live Search.

It's Back!

No! Well this is disappointing. Now it is doing it again. The only software I have installed this time is PhoneAlarm. (Hard Reset before installing it). Last time the only software I had installed was Live Search. I'm not sure what to do other than exchanging the phone.

I still think it has something to do with the fact that the dial pad pops up on the screen when a voice mail call is made, but for no other call that I can determine. Anyone have any ideas before I try to take it back this weekend?

Thanks.

To JDCJ,

Answering your question to a post in another thread: My Speed dial problem was nothing like yours. Mine probablem was that my voicemail would not work by pressing and holding 1. All the other speed dial numbers did work. After a while I noticed that in the speed dial screen the #1 speed dial option was missing. Evidently some software I installed made it go away (probably during one of my faulty installations). I called tech support and they couldn't fix it. They told me to go to the Verizon store and get a new one but this was before Nov 2 so they told me the store would hold one for me when they came in on Nov 2. When I went to the Verizon store and someone there wanted to try fix it but couldn't either. Finally a day before Nov 2 I did a hard reset and it fixed the problem. When I installed my backup copy the problem returned so I did another hard reset and installed each program one by one testing the voicemail option after each installation but the problem never returned.

Since you already did a hard reset I suggest you take it back for a new one if just to eliminate that as the problem. By the way the tech support did give me one piece of advise. They told me to go to the store for trade in because if I asked for another one by mail I would more than likely get a refurbished model.

Same problem here.

This was happening to me since the day I got the device and under the same circumstances as the original poster (eg. call 611 for vzw, then hit 3 for tech support) it will either dial a new 3-way call and get the "call cannot be completed as dialed" message (because of the phone dialing 3 and then sending), or it will call whomever I have set in speed dial for that digit. I got the tech support guy to turn off 3-way calling on my account and the problem disappeared. That was not an option for me so I returned the i760.

Now that I have seen this post I would assume that it was related to the power save setting mentioned above as (I think) mine was set to 10 seconds. It survived a hard reset on mine, but I know I set the power save immediately after the hard reset. If someone can confirm that it is definitely is related to this setting and can be resolved, let me know by PM or post a reply so I can get another i760.
    Last edited by Thermionics; 11-17-2007 at 12:39 AM.

I've just spent around 30 minutes fooling around with this, because I definitely have this issue as well.

At first I thought it was related to the fact that speed dial number 1, for voicemail, brings up the dialing pad instead of the normal screen one sees when a call is connected. So I spent some time trying to put a contact called "VZW Messages" into the number one speed dial spot, but it turns out that is not possible.

Next I tested that theory by trying to call my new "VZW messages" contact, and the same problem occurs. Once connected, pressing 7 or 9 will initiate a new call to that number.

I also learned the following:

--this problem is sporadic. Sometimes pressing 7 or 9 when connected to voicemail will not result in a new call, but rather an error message from the voicemail system (I had no active message at the time, so it was an invalid key-press for the voicemail system. Had there been a message there at the time this was "working", I believe the voicemail system would have correctly dealt with the 7 or 9 keypress.)

--I also tested the long and short tone settings for keypresses, with no difference

--Finally I tested this with the screen set to dim only, and to the 60-second time out, as well as with that box unchecked and the problem is still there. So it does not seem to be related to Power Save mode at all. (It could just have been coincidental for those who thought it was tied to that, since the problem is intermittent and inconsistent.)

Unfortunately I do not have a solution, or even a good work-around. The best I could come up with was to move my 7 and 9 speed dials elsewhere.

It would be nice to get this bug fixed.

Glad to finally hear that I wasn't just crazy. I exchanged mine today. We'll see if it works. (BTW, sound quality is no better, if not worse.)

Well I can report that the replacement phone is having the same problem. ORiginal phone was hardware 07.08 (in battery compartment). The replacement phone is 07.10, for anyone curious.

This is definitely a reproducible bug as reported by multiple users (and one user with multiple phones). I can't believe more people who set speed dial entries and automatic VM password entry haven't experienced it.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    I tried this and I can't get it to repeat what you have happening.

I have 8 speed dial numbers defined and I don’t have this issue.
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 11-20-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    I have 8 speed dial numbers defined and I don’t have this issue.
    Do you also have your passcode pre-programmed? If so, are you using a p or ps or a w to cause the phone to pause or wait before dialing your passcode?

Also, are you dialing into your voicemail system using the speed dial in position 1?

Thanks.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
    Do you also have your passcode pre-programmed? If so, are you using a p or ps or a w to cause the phone to pause or wait before dialing your passcode?

Also, are you dialing into your voicemail system using the speed dial in position 1?

Thanks.
    I have my Voicemail mapped to *86 with no passcode.
    I have voicemail in position 1 for speed dial.
    But I am also using CallWave for my voicemail service.

But that should not make a difference.