+ Reply to Thread

Thread: contacts issue

contacts issue

is there a way to change the way your contacts gets alphabetized. isntead of last name first i want first name first?

There is no setting for all contacts, but you can either go into each contact in Contacts, or in Outlook then ActiveSync, and set the File As option to firstname lastname format. Not ideal, but it works.
    -s

thanks sleeve. i dun see no other way lol

As one new to PDAs and who also doesn't use Outlook (except to sync my contact list), I find it incredible that I have to go into Outlook and change EVERY contact individually to first, last.

I see that Files,As only lets you display NEW contacts in that format. But there doesn't seem to be a way to change my hundreds of contacts to display in the format of my choice without going in and changing each one individually.

Surely I've missed something somewhere?

Excellent site here. Glad I stumbled across it. Anxiously await Michael's newbie guide and whatever else you folks post about the i760.

BTW, the only reason I had to crank up Outlook was to move my contacts from my v325 over to the i760. Seems the i760 is too new and the VZW stores don't yet have the software to effect the transfer. I used MPT to bring the contact list from my v325 into Outlook and then used ActiveSync 4.5 to import the contact list into my i760.

Still haven't figured out how to get around my software firewall (without disabling it) to let AS synchronize. Also, I seem to have to disconnect and then reconnect the i760 to get the sync to work. But at least I sorta have a system now.. until I figure out how to do this properly.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drzchulo1010 View Post
    thanks sleeve. i dun see no other way lol
    You might be able to change all your contacts in one step if you view them by category in Outlook, highlight them all, and make this change.

Edit: Nope, just change the default as described below.
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-11-2007 at 09:51 AM.

How do you make the change as described above? I couldn't find a way.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    As one new to PDAs and who also doesn't use Outlook (except to sync my contact list), I find it incredible that I have to go into Outlook and change EVERY contact individually to first, last.

I see that Files,As only lets you display NEW contacts in that format. But there doesn't seem to be a way to change my hundreds of contacts to display in the format of my choice without going in and changing each one individually.

Surely I've missed something somewhere? ...
    Yes, incredible, and completely unnecessary. You can easily change the default "File As" order for all of your contacts in one step within Outlook. Just go to Tools, Options, Preferences, Contacts, Contact Options, Default "File As" order: First Last

No charge for fellow Pilot owners!

EDIT: Oops, this is just for new contacts, but if you change this default and then follow PerfAlbion's advice to export, delete, and import, then the new default setting may apply. Still no charge!
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-11-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks robrecht. I'll take a look at that when I get back to my computer.

robrecht,

I just checked my settings... and that is how I'm set.. but they are for new names and new contacts... not existing contacts.

This is MS Outlook 2002. sp3.

I do not see any way to change the order for existing contacts.

Last edited by speedlever; 11-11-2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added image

Export your contacts to an Excel or CSV file. Delete all, then import that file and the default setting you have will work.

Making a backup of the PST file with your contacts wouldn't be a bad idea before you do that, just in case.

Thanks. I'll give that a whirl.

Still, it seems like a no-brainer to have the option to display the contacts one way or the other.

But... it is what it is.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I exported the Outlook contact database as a CSV file and stored it in a backup folder. I then highlighted and deleted the contacts in Outlook.

Then I imported the saved CSV contact list (with the First Last option selected) and still the contacts come up Last First.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: I found this site, but that didn't work either.
    Last edited by speedlever; 11-11-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling, more info

Stupid question, but did the import file contain "File As..." in its data?

Certainly not a stupid question. But I'm feeling pretty stupid that I can't figure out how to make this work like I want it to.

Regarding the "Find As", a search of the csv file did not find it.

I'm stumped.

Change Names

Take a look at this link.

Sperry Software - Contacts Sort Order Outlook Add-In

I have used this one in the past but am currently using this program

outlook-stuff.com - Downloads | Kontakte

Both of these programs are outlook add-ins that will go through and reorder how your contacts are filed.

Charles

Try this cab found in the zip file. If you have a lot of contacts, it could take a while for it to rearrange your contacts, just let the app run a bit.

Once installed it can be found under the right soft key when you're in the contacts applications.
    Attached Files

This is on the pocketpcfaq.com site. This is EXACTLY what you need. An awesome Outlook addin. Then you just sync it with your device.

Microsoft Outlook - Sort using "File As" field within Contacts
    Last edited by bezworks; 11-12-2007 at 08:34 AM.

Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the tips. With several options to choose from, I tried the last suggestion first (FileAsSorter) as an Outlook add-on. It worked perfectly.

First sync all contacts on the i760 were gone. I sync'd again and now all my contacts (both in Outlook and on the i760) are in the sort order that I want.

Thanks much!

Now... on to learning how to use this PDA.

Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the tips. With several options to choose from, I tried the last suggestion first (FileAsSorter) as an Outlook add-on. It worked perfectly.

First sync all contacts on the i760 were gone. I sync'd again and now all my contacts (both in Outlook and on the i760) are in the sort order that I want.

Thanks much!

Now... on to learning how to use this PDA.
    Awesome! Glad it worked out!