+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is there any way to prevent it from connecting to BroadbandAccess

I have WiFi enabled and two email accounts(1 exchange and 1 gmail) configured to sync up. Still, the stupid thing wants to connect randomly to BroadbandAccess even though it's got a perfectly good internet WiFi connection to do the sync with. I edited the BroadbandAccess connection and now have it dialing a dummy number with a dummy login and password-is there any way to prevent it from trying to dial BroadbandAccess in the first place? I don't have a data plan and I DON'T need it doing this. Thanks!

Rokas

START - SETTINGS - CONNECTIONS (select the connections icon) - ADVANCED - SELECT NETWORK - THEN...

set both to "My Work Network." that will force the device to use the Wifi by default and never attempt to use the EVDO/1x.

Hope that helps.

Das Uber Tech Geek
    Also change the number from #777 to something else.
    That will prevent the connection even if you switch he network.
    You can also call to have data blocked.

Verizon said...

I've called Verizon twice with the same question in the starter thread. And I was told that even if your using WiFi that you still have to have a data plan because you will be billed for data. Which doesn't make any sense to me because your not using their EVDO for access. The Reps said that any data coming into the phone via broadband or wifi would be billed if you didn't have a data plan.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnewyork2 View Post
    I've called Verizon twice with the same question in the starter thread. And I was told that even if your using WiFi that you still have to have a data plan because you will be billed for data. Which doesn't make any sense to me because your not using their EVDO for access. The Reps said that any data coming into the phone via broadband or wifi would be billed if you didn't have a data plan.
    That rep is a %^&%$^%$ whole!

Sorry but I don’t have patience for employees that don’t know what they are talking about. I take pride in my job and make it my responsibility to be the best that I can.

Call VZW change your plan to "pay-as-you-go" or just drop the data plan altogether. Then ask for a data block on the number.

Mark

That makes absolutely no sense!!!

Thank you for the info about the my work network-I changed it and so far so good...two days ago I changed it to dial 1234 for broadbandaccess and use a garbage login/password. As far as being billed for data that is coming through wifi-that makes no sense whatsoever..why would they do that?!? how would they track it?! Has anyone else heard this? I'm going to call and ask them today..if this is the case, the phone is getting returned asap. The reps at the store assured me I didn't need a data plan and didn't force me to get one, which I didn't.

Yeah I called twice this Tuesday and spoke with two reps in the data department. We went back and forth about how it doesn't make sense for Verizon to try and bill us if we aren't using their EVDO access. The last rep told me that because data is coming in via the phone that verizon would still bill me for data even if I was using wifi. I think a few other customers should call and see wnat kind of response they get.

Go into connection settings and delete the broadband access entry. to do this click and hold down on the broadband access entry, on the menu that pops up, click on delete. that should take care of it.

I see dumb people...
    Its too funny that this question is always asked.

You will not be billed for data on your phone when using WiFi. It is not possible for VZW to bill you for WiFi since you are not accessing their network. This is one reason why you cannot get picture messages over WiFi, because you are not on VZW network to access any data there.

Repeat: You will not be charged to use WiFi. Its just not technologically possible. You can search for this very question in almost any forum related to Verizon phones and find the same answers there
    Last edited by crankerchick; 11-08-2007 at 09:21 AM.

that's what i was thinking too...good times. Just FYI-I just changed every single setting I could find from Internet to Work/Work Network and the broadbandaccess connection seems to have disappeared for good. Good riddance....

ok so i'm going to drop my data plan and keep my pic and text package on the phone so I can still get my texts and pics. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrnewyork2 View Post
    Yeah I called twice this Tuesday and spoke with two reps in the data department. We went back and forth about how it doesn't make sense for Verizon to try and bill us if we aren't using their EVDO access. The last rep told me that because data is coming in via the phone that verizon would still bill me for data even if I was using wifi. I think a few other customers should call and see wnat kind of response they get.
    Oh man I wish I was speaking to the rep. I love playing with their heads....lol.
    Total BS!

Quote Originally Posted by crankerchick View Post
    Its too funny that this question is always asked.

You will not be billed for data on your phone when using WiFi. It is not possible for VZW to bill you for WiFi since you are not accessing their network. This is one reason why you cannot get picture messages over WiFi, because you are not on VZW network to access any data there.

Repeat: You will not be charged to use WiFi. Its just not technologically possible. You can search for this very question in almost any forum related to Verizon phones and find the same answers there

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Do this......
    Turn your phone (radio) off.
    Turn on wifi and connect.

Now how is VZW going to know what you are doing?

I see dumb people...
    ok so i'm going to drop my data plan and keep my pic and text package on the phone so I can still get my texts and pics. Thanks
    You will probably still need to keep the Pay-As-You-Go data plan. This is because flix/pix messages are downloaded over the broadband network. Even though I have a Pix/Flix messaging plan, I am still charged for the actual data download at 1.5 cents per kB when I recieve pix/flix msgs. I'm not sure what advances VZW has made in this area of double charging (I've been away from the forums for a while). I've been repeatedly told by CSRs that they have solved this and no longer charge for the data network access if you don't have the unlimited data plan, but the charges keep showing up on my bill to date. Just keep this in mind when you cancel your data plan. Its certainly cheaper to still pay-as-you, unless you get enough pix/flix messages in a month that it costs $45 at 1.5 cents per kB--thats like 3 MB worth of pictures! Just keep that in mind, that you may be charged if thye haven't fixed this.
    Last edited by crankerchick; 11-08-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crankerchick View Post
    You will probably still need to keep the Pay-As-You-Go data plan. This is because flix/pix messages are downloaded over the broadband network. Even though I have a Pix/Flix messaging plan, I am still charged for the actual data download at 1.5 cents per kB when I recieve pix/flix msgs. I'm not sure what advances VZW has made in this area of double charging (I've been away from the forums for a while). I've been repeatedly told by CSRs that they have solved this and no longer charge for the data network access if you don't have the unlimited data plan, but the charges keep showing up on my bill to date. Just keep this in mind when you cancel your data plan. Its certainly cheaper to still pay-as-you, unless you get enough pix/flix messages in a month that it costs $45 at 1.5 cents per kB--thats like 3 MB worth of pictures! Just keep that in mind, that you may be charged if thye haven't fixed this.
    I spent the last 20 minutes digging on Verizon's website for this information:

Business Voice and Data Plans

This explains all the charges associated with data/voice plans for PDA Devices, including listing the charges for data as:

-If you have the 10 MB plan, it's $0.005/KB or $5.12/MB after the 10 MB
    -If you have the Pay as you go plan, it's $0.015/KB or 1.5 cents per KB or $0.015 per KB ($15.36 per MB)....

It lists nothing about WiFi on the page being charged, and you are NOT charged for it. Some people have THOUGHT they were using WiFi, but were in reality using EVDO, and being charged for EVDO coverage. Make sure you aren't using data, at $15.36/MB, it gets expensive without the "unlimited" data plan...

I called Verizon today and changed from unlimited data to PAYG with a data block. After this was done, I changed my connection settings in the advanced tab and selected "My work network" in both the drop-down menus. I also changed the #777 broadband access number to a dummy number.

What other changes are needed to the phone once you block data so that any/all applications will use wi-fi whenever it is available?

Under wi-fi settings -> network adapters, the "my network card connects to" is currently set to "Work". Should that be changed to "The internet" to allow all applications to be able to access data via wi-fi?

Are there any other tests, besides using IE, that can be done to ensure data is indeed blocked but everything else is working via the wi-fi connection?

Quote Originally Posted by prince_a1 View Post
    I called Verizon today and changed from unlimited data to PAYG with a data block. After this was done, I changed my connection settings in the advanced tab and selected "My work network" in both the drop-down menus. I also changed the #777 broadband access number to a dummy number.

What other changes are needed to the phone once you block data so that any/all applications will use wi-fi whenever it is available?

Under wi-fi settings -> network adapters, the "my network card connects to" is currently set to "Work". Should that be changed to "The internet" to allow all applications to be able to access data via wi-fi?

Are there any other tests, besides using IE, that can be done to ensure data is indeed blocked but everything else is working via the wi-fi connection?
    Once yOu have VZW but a data block on your number no matter what you do, it will not connect to their data network.
    Also leave the connect set to work this will force it to use WiFi.

VZW CAN NOT charge for wifi access........PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    Once yOu have VZW but a data block on your number no matter what you do, it will not connect to their data network.
    Also leave the connect set to work this will force it to use WiFi.

VZW CAN NOT charge for wifi access........PERIOD!
    Indeed - it's not possible, but you know they'd like to!

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    -If you have the 10 MB plan, it's $0.005/KB or $5.12/MB after the 10 MB
    -If you have the Pay as you go plan, it's $0.015/KB or 1.5 cents per KB or $0.015 per KB ($15.36 per MB)....
    fyi, I just upgraded to the unlimited text/pic msg plan now that my phone actually supports MMS. An additional benefit is that data is only $1.99/MB unlike the traditional pay as you go which mrailing points out is >$15/MB. $2/MB I think is reasonable.
    i700/i730 geek since '03

im still confused on one issue.
    say u get data block put on the phone. that way, u dont have to worry about being charged for internet use (eg: it somehow accidentally switches from wifi to verizon). however, doesnt that mean that u wont be able to get text messages?