+ Reply to Thread

Wi-Fi Misconception?

I've a wireless network.
    My i760, when I turn on Wi-Fi, reports a Netgear Router, and I can get it to 'connect' to this network, to which is connected three desktop computers, (two wired, one wireless), and two printers.

But, so far, I've not been able to connect to the internet via Wi-Fi, and the i760 doesn't see devices attached to network and none see it.

I had been under the impression that the i760 would act and appear as anyother computer on the network, that I could use file-explorer and transfer files, etc.

Please, might some one explain what Wi-Fi can do, and then how I might achieve that?

Thanks,
    David.

Grab vxIPConfig and vxUtil from Cambridge technologies and install them. Use the first to verify that you've got an IP address on the WiFi adapter. Use the second to run pings, traceroutes, etc. to confirm that you're actually passing traffic.

If all that works, go to Settings-Connections-WiFi and make sure that for that network you've told you i760 it connects to "The Internet" instead of "Work." Note that I'm on a TyTN II, so your settings may be laid out differently, but it'll be where you see the SSID for the network listed. If it's set for "Work" or "My Work Network," then you'll still use the cellular to hit the Internet 'cuz that's what you've told it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    Grab vxIPConfig and vxUtil from Cambridge technologies and install them. Use the first to verify that you've got an IP address on the WiFi adapter. Use the second to run pings, traceroutes, etc. to confirm that you're actually passing traffic.

If all that works, go to Settings-Connections-WiFi and make sure that for that network you've told you i760 it connects to "The Internet" instead of "Work." Note that I'm on a TyTN II, so your settings may be laid out differently, but it'll be where you see the SSID for the network listed. If it's set for "Work" or "My Work Network," then you'll still use the cellular to hit the Internet 'cuz that's what you've told it to do.
    The opposite is true for the i760 on Verizon. Settings-Connections-WiFi will be defaulted to "The Internet", so don't worry about that one. You need to go into Settings-Connections Tab->Connections Icon->Advanced Tab->Select Networks button and change the setting for Programs that automatically connect to the Internet to My Work. My ISP is Verizons Broadband connection, and My Work would be the WiFi connection.

I can connect via Wifi to my home network- it shows the correct adapter under the icon and the led flashes green. But when I go to PIE the download times seem as slow as via VzBroadband. How do I get the 760 to use my home internet connection vis Wifi?

ebb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    ..... How do I get the 760 to use my home internet connection vis Wifi?
    Make sure that all internet-using programs (PIE, newsreader, etc.) are closed before connecting to your wireless network.