+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyway to keep the staus light blinking?

I have seen this mentioned in several different thread but none were dedicated to it.

I would like to always see the status light blinking. If I have my bluetooth and wifi on I would like to know. Further more, if I have a message or missed call it blinks for a few minutes and then stops. I would like this light to blink all the time. Has anyone found a registry edit for this or software that will keep it on?

If not anyone have any ideas?

I have been searching for this myself. It would be so nice just to be able to glance at the light and see if I need to check messages. It seems like the thread that controls the light flashing is being put to sleep in standby mode. I hope there is some way around this but have a feeling that only a rom update would fix this....

settings > personal > sounds and notifications > notifications > select desired event from drop down menu > check "flash light for" > select desired time interval from drop down menu

Mine has been set on no limit since the day I got it but still no luck....

you could try changing the setting, soft-resetting and then changing it back I suppose.

I set mine this way since day one and my light blinks for hours on end til I have time to pick it up.

Its worth a try I guess...

The bluetooth light alone wont even stay on

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    you could try changing the setting, soft-resetting and then changing it back I suppose.

I set mine this way since day one and my light blinks for hours on end til I have time to pick it up.
    Are you sure? Yours seems to be the only one that works this way.

The light will flash for however long you set if for as long as it doesn't go into power save mode.

I have a feeling that the guy above has his set to never go into power save mode when it is plugged in (either power or usb sync), or even when it is not plugged in. Just a hypothesis.

I tried the soft reset idea and no luck....

Ok, I am trying to get to the bottom of this as well. I started a thread on some simple questions (a few above this one), but I agree this topic needs a dedicated thread, so thank you for starting it.

If you set your phone for power saving mode (ie 'standby') where the screen actually powers off (not dims) the LED will NOT blink forever.

You can set notifications to have 'no limit' to it blinking, but I beleive this is only functional when you set the screen to dim (not power off).

Having said that however, occasionally it will blink when the screen goes off, it comes back sometimes, then goes off for a while, no ryhme or reason whatsoever.

So, if you miss your initial "audible" notification, or you dont have one set, chances are you will not even know you have a text, email, etc. if your phone is in standby.

Kind of a retarded design if you ask me..........

Jeff

Even though you are looking for a way on the device by default, using a program like phoneAlarm which has a few more "reminder" options, including the blinking light, might be more suited for what you want.

this issues bothers me as well. my previous 8525 with AT&T would flash green when it was on the network, and amber when there was a missed call, email, or text. there is a reg edit that allows one to change the characteristics of a ringtone, ie. vibrate for 3 seconds, flashlight for 6, etc. maybe someone knows where or how to access the LED characteristics in the registry.

also, can anyone confirm that PhoneAlarm does in fact change the LED flashing on the i760?

SPB Phonesuite also has a setting to blink indefinitely on missed alerts.

Truthfully, I have a hard time remembering what all the colors and patterns mean. Green is WiFi, Blue is bluetooth, but just blinks nonsensically. And then it all changes on the charger anyway.

It would be great to have the light flash only for alerts, instead of at random.

Since we have all these color LEDs.. Is there a way to get them all going crazy when a call comes in??

Quote Originally Posted by edgar1050 View Post
    . . .

also, can anyone confirm that PhoneAlarm does in fact change the LED flashing on the i760?
    No. It will flash everytime the reminder/notification/alarm is scheduled to go off (e.g., 1 x 3min, 1 min, 30 sec., etc.) but will not flash continuously independant of the other audible/vibration alarm. There is a feature request for the next version to allow this and Bruce has said it will be added.

@Ground Loop - I tried Phone Suite for a while and I am pretty sure that it would not give a continuously flashing LED. I think I even confirmed this with a question n the forum. I would double check if you want to try it, or at least use the free trial.

I found a workaround for this, though some may not think it is a good or acceptable fix.

download one of the many apps that have a "screen off" feature. I use Quickmenu, which is a great freeware start menu replacemen which has a screenoff feature. I also use Art in Codes 'Screen Switch' which is a freeware standalone app that only turns the screen off. I have this set to the "button 1 long press" as a shortcut.

the downside of course is probably more battery drain though I haven't noticed a significant difference. the upside is that now the LED blinks continuosly until I check the message/txt/whatever.

Where in PA is the setting for LED flashing? I have v1.63 and I get audible alerts, but no flashing LED.

My i760 also will not continue to flash when the phone goes to sleep, no matter if I have notifications set to blink indefintely (before installing PA).

With PA installed, the system notifications are over-ridden. No matter what I set in system/notifications, the checked boxes return to unchecked status. I believe that the settings in PA over-ride any system settings which include screen timeout, notification alerts and volumes, etc.

speedlever, See 2 posts above yours.
    Last edited by JDCJ; 12-08-2007 at 10:38 AM.

a little more info on what I'm doing...

with using the screenoff feature, I have also disabled the automatic sleep mode under power settings. So the phone only goes into sleep when I manually put it there. Otherwise I just turn the screen off (backlight completely off, not just dimmed), and if I get a txt or whatever the LED will continue to blink for an unlimited time until I check it.

I do wish there was a way to also have it vibrate a reminder every 2 minutes like most dumbphones do.... as cool and useful a gadget these PPC's are, this one at least, seems to do pretty poorly as a phone when it comes to features

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    speedlever, See 2 posts above yours.
    If I understand you correctly, you can't set the LED independent of the audible alert. I can't even get the LED alert regardless of the status of the audible alert.

Did I miss something?