+ Reply to Thread

Wi-Fi question...

I've been looking at the Sch-i760 for some time now and i was wanting it for the wi-fi, but i was wonding if i have to sign up for a verizon data plan to use the wi-fi capabilities?

I see dumb people...
    herohero, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

The quick answer to your question is, "No."

Before anyone else responds rudely, or completely ignores your question all the way around, I'll help you out.

The main page for this forum for the i760 (where you started this thread) has a sticky (its the 5th one down). It says "Read Before Posting..." Its located here.

Check that out and see the rules for posting. Your question has been asked and answered repeatedly, so it will be good if you search first before asking questions, as some folks aren't "polite" when they respond. Also, sometimes, your questions will just go unanswered.

WiFi and 1x/EVDO data are two totally separate creatures. Some VZW employees will tell you that you MUST have a data plan to use WiFi, but this is false. I would suggest that if you don't want to pay for data you disable the data connection by either deleting the #777 dialup connection on the phone, or having Verizon put a block on the data side. However this can also cause issues with blocking MMS since it uses the data connection to send/receive MMS.

There are lots of discussions on all of these issues, and with a bit of reading and searching you will find lots more information....