+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2007
    Posts
    27

    i760 vs. i730 When Loaded with Third Party Applications

    Hi everyone,

    I know that the benchmarking results of a comparison between the i730 and the i760 (available here: Benchmarking the i730 and i760 ) have shown the i760 to be superior in most respects, but the processor speed on the i760 is lower than that on the i730.

    I am a blogger with Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine and so am constantly installing and uninstalling a lot of third party applications, games, etc. I also keep a ton of third party applications regularly installed on my devices.

    Since the benchmarking in the thread linked to above was conducted on two freshly hard reset devices, I was wondering if anyone can comment on the performance of the i760 when loaded with third party applications.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2005
    Posts
    92
    I have loaded up my 760 with almost everything I had on my 730. (No XCPUscalar).

    And the phone feels faster than the 730 ever did. SO far very happy with the performance.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-02-2004
    Posts
    220

    i760 CPU is faster

    It is a misconception that the i730 has a faster CPU than the i760. There is more to CPU performance than Mhz. The i760 uses a different, more advanced chip than the i730 (think 1.8 Mhz Dual Core vs 2.8 Mhz Pentium).

    I've loaded up my i760 with all of my i730 stuff and the i760 is far more responsive than my i730 ...and most importantly, far more stable.

    My addon apps:

    Spb Pocket Plus
    Spb Phone Suite
    Spb Time
    Spb Backup
    Spb Weather
    Slingplayer
    PDAnet
    MightySync
    MemMaid
    Live Search
    Resco Explorer-FTP-Radio-Audio Recorder
    EWallet
    Wordbook
    PocketStars
    PocketWorld Info
    mNotes (Lotus Notes PIM Client)
    Links Golf
    Full Hand Casino
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2007
    Posts
    27
    Thanks for the responses! That is certainly good to hear.

    I guess I will perhaps make the plunge soon (once I've convinced myself that gaming is a more pleasant experience than it is on the i730!)

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-25-2007
    Posts
    524
    Just because one is faster, doesn't make it better. AMD vs. Intel is a great example. You can have a 2.2ghz AMD that will spank a 3.2ghz Intel.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2007
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Just because one is faster, doesn't make it better. AMD vs. Intel is a great example. You can have a 2.2ghz AMD that will spank a 3.2ghz Intel.
    I agree that just because one is faster doesn't necessarily mean that it is better. But what I was worried about was the fact that all the benchmarks I've seen have been on new (or freshly hard reset) devices...I wanted to hear from some folks that had a lot of stuff installed on their devices and running at once.

    In other words, the benchmarks demonstrate that what you said is true on a clean device, but don't say much about a cluttered device.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-24-2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,290
    SPB Benchmark is freeware for non-commercial/reviewer use if you want to run tests and prove the performance...

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-25-2007
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by plinydogg View Post
    I agree that just because one is faster doesn't necessarily mean that it is better. But what I was worried about was the fact that all the benchmarks I've seen have been on new (or freshly hard reset) devices...I wanted to hear from some folks that had a lot of stuff installed on their devices and running at once.

    In other words, the benchmarks demonstrate that what you said is true on a clean device, but don't say much about a cluttered device.
    Considering that CPU benchmarking is only testing the CPU, and not how "cluttered" a device is, results should be the same. You should be able to have your storage nearly full, and the results shouldn't be effected too drastically, because it's not testing the performance of your storage, it's testing the performance of your CPU.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2007
    Posts
    27
    Good to know, thanks! Perhaps I'll give it a whirl once I get an i760...

  10. #10
    Registered User mrailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-19-2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    8,410
    You also might setup your baseline device and run a backup. Then install the software you want to test, and then restore your device back to the baseline software.

    To really give any software an accurate test, you should be using a clean device to do so, just to make sure some other software package isn't butting heads with it on the device (at least at first). I would almost suggest in your testing to use the device with "your" build of software on it, and then cleaning it up and running it with a barebones build for fully accurate tests, especially if you have a problem with the software you are testing.

    Hands down the i760 is a better performing device than the i760...

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-24-2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Considering that CPU benchmarking is only testing the CPU, and not how "cluttered" a device is, results should be the same. You should be able to have your storage nearly full, and the results shouldn't be effected too drastically, because it's not testing the performance of your storage, it's testing the performance of your CPU.
    You need to look at what the benchmark app tests. Some go beyond raw CPU straining and include large file reads/writes and other functions. There shouldn't be a huge impact since it's all some form of flash memory, but on the GSM phones where ROMs get cooked to free up space and reduce apps, there is a marked improvement in these benchmarks.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-08-2007
    Posts
    27
    Thanks for all the feedback folks! I'll report back here once I get an i760 and have done all the tests...could be a few weeks.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-13-2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    You need to look at what the benchmark app tests. Some go beyond raw CPU straining and include large file reads/writes and other functions. There shouldn't be a huge impact since it's all some form of flash memory, but on the GSM phones where ROMs get cooked to free up space and reduce apps, there is a marked improvement in these benchmarks.
    Hmm I'll keep that in mind in case someone can get WM6 working on the i730 and or if I can get my hands on the SGH-i760. Cooked ROMs are a sweet idea. Too bad we don't have as many people working to get it going on the CDMA phones as with HTC..:/ It took ONE teenager using 3 months of work during his summer break to unlock the iPhone. I wonder who will be first to get that working on the i730 and SGH-i760, as well as all the notoriety, if its possible to do.
    Last edited by Dominick_7; 11-11-2007 at 04:42 AM.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-24-2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,290
    The iPhone is the exception to the rule. And it's worth noting that while that teenager (and a cadre of people helping him) got the press, there were software solutions to do the same available at a charge.

    I suspect there isn't as much move on cooked ROMs for US CDMA carriers because even cooked, you can't move carrier to carrier. Many of the "chefs" at XDA-Dev also look to be from non-US countries, and may have different relationships with the phone manufacturers as a result.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-13-2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    The iPhone is the exception to the rule. And it's worth noting that while that teenager (and a cadre of people helping him) got the press, there were software solutions to do the same available at a charge.

    I suspect there isn't as much move on cooked ROMs for US CDMA carriers because even cooked, you can't move carrier to carrier. Many of the "chefs" at XDA-Dev also look to be from non-US countries, and may have different relationships with the phone manufacturers as a result.
    He did his own research and had friends to help him, ok and? He still got credit for doing it and making it available for free. I don't know about you but I think that's pretty cool especially for a teenager to do.

    If I'm not correct someone even in this forum passed on information on how to move ones PPC device from Verizon to Sprint. Also the companies have I believe publically stated that if they have a device that is similar to one from another company they will be open to activating it (ie i830 for example). But like I mentioned someone/some people have successfully gotten their i730 to to actually work on the Sprint network.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts